• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calloway and Bad Grades

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

With all the support these kids get academically and they way they're monitored they have to either be mentally incapable of being a college student or just not putting forth the effort required to stay eligible.  You're really reaching to try to pin this on Taggart.  

Fans have blamed Taggart for everything else , so why not blame him for a kid flunking out despite USF likely having the best academic support system in the state of Florida.

smh

If only we didn't have such a horrific coach dragging down our roster full of Rhodes Scholars and world class athletes......

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

If he doesn't have a disability, then this is definitely on the player (although you can say it started with the parents and teachers for setting the bar so low when he was younger). The academic advisers cater to the athletes, pushing them to the most watered down majors and classes to keep them eligible. Kids are just as lazy today as they were when I was playing 15 years ago - I think the difference is the fact USF supposedly has raised the bar academically (whether that is true or not, who knows). Some kids just weren't meant to attend college - however if you're a great athlete, they'll find a way to get you in regardless of your lack of education (would a regular Joe get the same nice treatment from admissions when they can't formulate a grammatically correct sentence or speak like they just came off of a street corner?). Once you get in, things eventually catch up to you. Either way, life moves on with or without you. Taggart has enough on his plate to be concerned about - the academics should not be something he should focus on - that's what the advisers get paid to do.   

Edited by The USF Titanic
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

The origins of this thread speaks volumes about the generation that we are in.. It's not the students fault for his bad grades... It's his coaches fault? A coach can only do so much.. To let your grades slip so much that your coaches AND teachers can't motivate you to do your job tells me a lot about the player. Any time I hear that a player left due to academic reasons, I'm ok with it. It means that they were not "All In."

I was the OP of this thread.  All of my statements were truly questions.  I certainly did not intend to blame CWT but was curious how something like this happens.  For the record, I am about three generations removed from this current generation.  However, the academic side of college football is something I never paid much attention to.  It is was the Calloway situation that made me start thinking about it.    

I hear lots of Head Coaches talking about grades so I figured CWT had to be involved on some level.

Thanks for all the insight though.  Many of the comments on this thread were things I never knew.  

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

every kid and situation is different

one size does not fit all here

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

every kid and situation is different

one size does not fit all here

Disagree 100%.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

they have to either be mentally incapable of being a college student or just not putting forth the effort required to stay eligible.

Pretty much sums it up. I would add that we really don't know these kids and for all we know he could be dealing with some personal issues that are/were a big distraction from the academics.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,255
  • Days Won:  1

Taggart can only make sure they show up for class and study halls. He isn't allowed to know about grades until the end of the semester and usually gets a list of players that are in trouble after the semester so academic issues can not be blamed on Taggart

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Taggart can only make sure they show up for class and study halls. He isn't allowed to know about grades until the end of the semester and usually gets a list of players that are in trouble after the semester so academic issues can not be blamed on Taggart

Do you have a source for this? Never heard it before. Hard to believe the coaches are truly in the dark given the constant academic support and advising provided by athletics departments.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

One thing I do know is that the graduation rate and academic are probably the main positive category the team as a whole is. In the end Calloway has to make the decision to either find help or try harder. Ive been there myself until i got my act together. Taggart can only do so much.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The origins of this thread speaks volumes about the generation that we are in.. It's not the students fault for his bad grades... It's his coaches fault? A coach can only do so much.. To let your grades slip so much that your coaches AND teachers can't motivate you to do your job tells me a lot about the player. Any time I hear that a player left due to academic reasons, I'm ok with it. It means that they were not "All In."

Seriously agree here.  I'm sure it is more than the coaching staff.  The athletic department has all sorts of "academic coaches" and tutors and whatnot trying to help these kids.  No shame in it if he simply isn't college material.  Wouldn't make him a bad person,  Doesn't even mean he isn't smart.

Now, if he ignored all of the assistance and monitoring available to him that would be a shame.  Not everyone has the opportunity to avail themselves of the opportunites college provide.  Far less get the opportunity to have so much assistance available to him.  That would be on him.

Either way, at some point in life you have to take responsibility for your own actions and not blame your coach or your boss or your parents.  Hope he works it all out and becomes a great success story.