• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calloway and Bad Grades

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,255
  • Days Won:  1

Taggart can only make sure they show up for class and study halls. He isn't allowed to know about grades until the end of the semester and usually gets a list of players that are in trouble after the semester so academic issues can not be blamed on Taggart

Do you have a source for this? Never heard it before. Hard to believe the coaches are truly in the dark given the constant academic support and advising provided by athletics departments.

I used to work as a manager for the basketball team and the coaches were not told about academics until the end of the semester. They were not allowed to talk to any professors about academics and could only send managers and non instructional coaches to make sure the athletes were at class. They might have changed it but that was how they handled it when I was there

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

coaches need to stress importance of going to class and doing well every chance they get on a daily basis

there should always be a lawyer on the staff to make sure  going to class and doing well is reinforced

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

coaches need to stress importance of going to class and doing well every chance they get on a daily basis

there should always be a lawyer on the staff to make sure  going to class and doing well is reinforced

. Okay, I'll bite, why does it have to be a lawyer? Is he going to threaten to sue if the kid doesn't go to class?

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Student athletes have grade checks... attendance checks... and required study hall. They are provided with tutors in any subject.  Everything short of having someone else write their papers and take their tests.

It takes a real effort to fail at college as a student athlete.

I am sure the coaches knew all along what Calloway's grades were like... and were doing their best to work with him.  The fact that he was never suspended tells me that he attended his classes... my guess is he just didn't put forth the effort on any assignments and couldn't pass his exams enough to get the required GPA.

The requirements from the NCAA are:

• 40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
  • Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
  • All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

So it appears he was not able to get to the 40% mark by the end of summer... (40% of 120 credits is 48 credits) ... or his GPA fell below 2.0.

And sometimes at some schools even the papers get written by the tutors.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

there should always be a lawyer on the staff to make sure going to class and doing well is reinforced

. Okay, I'll bite, why does it have to be a lawyer? Is he going to threaten to sue if the kid doesn't go to class?

And that house of cards crumples...!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

there should always be a lawyer on the staff to make sure going to class and doing well is reinforced

To sue the school if the school doesn't make sure the kid is going to school - to be held accountable for the kid's actions/inactions.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

To sue the school if the school doesn't make sure the kid is going to school - to be held accountable for the kid's actions/inactions.

No.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

No.
Yes.

I should have put a smilie there for you. I was crawling inside the mind of smazza. The school is where the money is. Hence the tongue in cheek comment.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

No.
Yes.

I should have put a smilie there for you. I was crawling inside the mind of smazza. The school is where the money is. Hence the tongue in cheek comment.

You're a brave, brave man...

GO BULLS!