• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How bad were our QBs last season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Flowers was a true freshman getting spot play in a west coast offense where most of his packages were wildcat.  He started one game the day after he found out his brother was dead (having lost his other brother, mother, and father to death) and people are trying to use last season to gauge his overall talent.  I think that kid has a iron resolve and where you see him lagging, I see something special in a guy who has managed to make it through that and to be honest, he's one of the top 3 athletes on the team overall and you're putting in him an offense he was raised running and saying, "just play ball."

Bench is not starting.  Flowers was clearly the better guy in the spring.  I think Taggart didn't want  bench, his senior, to keep his head in the game.  The QB position is Flowers to lose, I think he will excel.  He displayed a good arm in the spring... sure there was the windy spring game but he made some big throws in a gusting wind that I thought were nice.  He's a true soph... I look for him to make mistakes, but he's going to go HAM. It's one of the reasons I think Woulard wants in now... Flowers could create a strangle hold on the QB spot for the next three years.  

I guess it is a matter of perspective.  He did not just start one game.  HE WAS NAMED THE STARTER FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON, did not finish the game and never started again (did he even see the field again).  I agree, 100%, that the QB position is Flowers to lose.  It is not Flowers' fault, but CWT is in win now mode.  

He should have stuck with Flowers last year.  I do not want to hear about all of the emotional trials,  many of the kids have a story of overcoming, if that makes me sound like a jerk then I am sorry, USF football is business.  CWT will make the business decision of going with Bench at some point.  Flowers is not ready and does not have the fortune of working through growing pains this year.  Tough spot for the kid for sure.  I saw plenty of the spring game and I have seen NOTHING from Flowers that makes me think he is ready to lead this team.

dude... I don't think you even understand what I'm getting at.  I'm not looking to attach blame or anything.  You sound stupid.  READ my comment and understand what I'm saying.  You don't know anything about resolve?  Tenacity forged from loss or desire to not fail?  Mental toughness?  You have to be a weak person to not see what I'm talking about... so forget it... you could never understand my point if that is the case.  Nothing you mentioned had anything to do with what I was getting at.

I did not mean to hurt your feelings, but there is no need to go on a tantrum and try to make things personal by name calling.  Saying things like "you sound stupid" and "you have to be a weak person" makes you sound like someone who is just hurt that someone else absolutely disagrees with you.  

Again, I don't intend to sound mean by disagreeing with you but you are basing your whole argument on Flower's "resolve", his "mental toughness", and that he is "special", oh, and a windy spring game.  All of those things are great, but they don't score points.  People are gauging his overall talent on last year because that is the only game time situation people have.  Using anything else is just guessing, hoping, and like California Bull said, relying on his 247 ranking coming out of High School to justify using words like "high ceiling".  

Do you really think that anyone on this board wants USF to fail?  Of course not, but some, like myself, simply don't have as rosy outlook as say, you.  I wish I could live in the world of conjecture and hyperbole (at least I hope it was hyperbole..forged in loss or desire not to fail...  rooooaaaar).  Was that a line from Rocky?

Either way, don't get so upset when people disagree with you and realize that everyone who does disagree with you on this particular point really does hope you are right.     

I still believe, based on facts, CWT hot seat, Bench being a Senior, Flowers' limited real college experience, that  Bench will either start or be starting by the end of the Memphis game because CWT needs wins.  Flower's still needs another year, which is also the reason I think he will transfer if he does not go Dan Marino and lock up the position.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

If you guys want to be on the Flowers band wagon thats fine. But im with armybull on this one. Flowers cant throw at all at a D1 level. To say that he has a higher ceiling than bech is crazy, because ive never even seen the spectacular play from flowers that makes you believe that. Bech has an arm, he has the legs, and I think hes serviceable at best. Which is better than flowers

This tells me you are not an good evaluator of qbs because what you're saying is crazy.

Sry to disrupt the Bench no Bueno harmony but.... I am not sold that M. White was our best option last season. There were games were Bench was put in begrudgingly by CWT and played better than White. As I and others have stated, Bench has not been given a fair shake by CWT. Even when White had that sprain, Bench did not get first team reps. I would like to see him get in sync and timing down with the offense then we can make a true decision on his ability. 

Anyone who thinks Mike White was our best option really shouldn't be taken seriously.  I can see what you mean about Bench... Maybe he can be serviceable.  Because he's serviceable at best.  He's not going to overwhelm anyone with athletic ability but he's serviceable.  If Flowers does what I think he can do in this system, he can be big time.  

The proper nomenclature for is Terribad 

Flowers was a true freshman getting spot play in a west coast offense where most of his packages were wildcat.  He started one game the day after he found out his brother was dead (having lost his other brother, mother, and father to death) and people are trying to use last season to gauge his overall talent.  I think that kid has a iron resolve and where you see him lagging, I see something special in a guy who has managed to make it through that and to be honest, he's one of the top 3 athletes on the team overall and you're putting in him an offense he was raised running and saying, "just play ball."

Bench is not starting.  Flowers was clearly the better guy in the spring.  I think Taggart didn't want  bench, his senior, to keep his head in the game.  The QB position is Flowers to lose, I think he will excel.  He displayed a good arm in the spring... sure there was the windy spring game but he made some big throws in a gusting wind that I thought were nice.  He's a true soph... I look for him to make mistakes, but he's going to go HAM. It's one of the reasons I think Woulard wants in now... Flowers could create a strangle hold on the QB spot for the next three years.  

I guess it is a matter of perspective.  He did not just start one game.  HE WAS NAMED THE STARTER FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON, did not finish the game and never started again (did he even see the field again).  I agree, 100%, that the QB position is Flowers to lose.  It is not Flowers' fault, but CWT is in win now mode.  

He should have stuck with Flowers last year.  I do not want to hear about all of the emotional trials,  many of the kids have a story of overcoming, if that makes me sound like a jerk then I am sorry, USF football is business.  CWT will make the business decision of going with Bench at some point.  Flowers is not ready and does not have the fortune of working through growing pains this year.  Tough spot for the kid for sure.  I saw plenty of the spring game and I have seen NOTHING from Flowers that makes me think he is ready to lead this team.

dude... I don't think you even understand what I'm getting at.  I'm not looking to attach blame or anything.  You sound stupid.  READ my comment and understand what I'm saying.  You don't know anything about resolve?  Tenacity forged from loss or desire to not fail?  Mental toughness?  You have to be a weak person to not see what I'm talking about... so forget it... you could never understand my point if that is the case.  Nothing you mentioned had anything to do with what I was getting at.

I did not mean to hurt your feelings, but there is no need to go on a tantrum and try to make things personal by name calling.  Saying things like "you sound stupid" and "you have to be a weak person" makes you sound like someone who is just hurt that someone else absolutely disagrees with you.  

Again, I don't intend to sound mean by disagreeing with you but you are basing your whole argument on Flower's "resolve", his "mental toughness", and that he is "special", oh, and a windy spring game.  All of those things are great, but they don't score points.  People are gauging his overall talent on last year because that is the only game time situation people have.  Using anything else is just guessing, hoping, and like California Bull said, relying on his 247 ranking coming out of High School to justify using words like "high ceiling".  

Do you really think that anyone on this board wants USF to fail?  Of course not, but some, like myself, simply don't have as rosy outlook as say, you.  I wish I could live in the world of conjecture and hyperbole (at least I hope it was hyperbole..forged in loss or desire not to fail...  rooooaaaar).  Was that a line from Rocky?

Either way, don't get so upset when people disagree with you and realize that everyone who does disagree with you on this particular point really does hope you are right.     

I still believe, based on facts, CWT hot seat, Bench being a Senior, Flowers' limited real college experience, that  Bench will either start or be starting by the end of the Memphis game because CWT needs wins.  Flower's still needs another year, which is also the reason I think he will transfer if he does not go Dan Marino and lock up the position.  

I'm not relying on his 247 rating... that's just silly.  He's a better fit and QB than Bench.  He's a better football player than Bench.  OK... Taggart is on the hot seat... So he's going to play Flowers because he's better and gives us a better chance to win.  Seems to be what analyst think too... I'm just saying.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'd say 4 win bad

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

If you guys want to be on the Flowers band wagon thats fine. But im with armybull on this one. Flowers cant throw at all at a D1 level. To say that he has a higher ceiling than bech is crazy, because ive never even seen the spectacular play from flowers that makes you believe that. Bech has an arm, he has the legs, and I think hes serviceable at best. Which is better than flowers

X2

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Mike White was the best QB option in that system from last year. But there are a million reasons why it didn't work.

This is a new system. And I feel both Flowers and Bench have a good shot at starting and doing well, with the nod going toward Bench because he's been around. Flowers is pretty much a freshman right now.

If we have receivers that can run good routes and catch, and we have blocking, and we don't put ourselves into 3rd and long all the time, I think we will be fine at the QB position. This is going to be a run offense first, and then passing is going to be to keep people honest. And in running, I mean we run out of the RB, FB, or QB position. And I'm sure we'll do WR reverses, too. What passing we will do will be short stuff and safe stuff. 3rd and long? This is where we will be at our weakest on offense.

Edited by BasketBull2014
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

This tells me you are not an good evaluator of qbs because what you're saying is crazy.
Well there's no doubt Flowers is the best athlete. Don't get offered to play WR at big schools without having athletic ability.

I don't feel that evaluating someone based on 20 throws, most of which were in terrible rain conditions is a very effective measure.

Edited by FatDaddyBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

X2

We will have to disagree. Bench is going to be a senior, flowers has a bit more than 1 game under his belt. To say that Bench is more talented it's ridiculous. I followed Flowers in High School, he is not the drop back passer that was the system we ran last year. In fact this year's system should favor BOTH Bench and Flowers.

You will see a complete different Flowers at QB his year those of you judging him from last year are making a big mistake.

But it will be answered on the field in the Fall not on these boards in the summer

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

Brett Kean will save the day. Once the receivers see how superior a passer he is, in addition to his 4.7 speed, he will win over the team in August, ball during our last scrimmage and win the starting job. He is just str8 up better then Bench and Flowers.