• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How bad were our QBs last season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

I never thought that.  I knew what the problem was and I never thought it was BJ.  I still remember me and Stevie Oneal defending the guy over on Greg's old blog.  

Towards the end I think most thought that BJ was the problem. 

I guess I could lie and say that I never thought BJ was the problem, but I did, and I was wrong.  We had just beaten Notre Dame and then, when things started to unravel, he was the easiest target.  I was done, I was just tired of the excuses and " of course" if we could just get a better quarterback then things would be better.  It was hard to criticize CSH after the Notre Dame game, but it became much easier as the season went on.  I did fall prey to some of the "group think" about BJ.  Just looking to assign blame I guess.

At any rate.  I find it unsettling that I am still thinking the same thing "If we can just find a better QB things will be fine".   I need therapy.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I guess I could lie and say that I never thought BJ was the problem, but I did, and I was wrong.  We had just beaten Notre Dame and then, when things started to unravel, he was the easiest target.  I was done, I was just tired of the excuses and " of course" if we could just get a better quarterback then things would be better.  It was hard to criticize CSH after the Notre Dame game, but it became much easier as the season went on.  I did fall prey to some of the "group think" about BJ.  Just looking to assign blame I guess.

At any rate.  I find it unsettling that I am still thinking the same thing "If we can just find a better QB things will be fine".   I need therapy.  

I did.  I never saw that win as the start of something great.  If you look back at posts I made shortly after the game, I knew it was a fluke and that Notre Game gave that game away.

I did.  I never saw that win as the start of something great.  If you look back at posts I made shortly after the game, I knew it was a fluke and that Notre Game gave that game away.

You must not have been the most popular fella around her at that time then  :)   I can only imagine the uproar if I posted something similar this year if we end up beating FSU.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I actually found where I said it:

Keep reading... the usual drivel

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT, TEAM: Notre Dame. It's as if that four-game winning streak to end the 2010 season never happened. Rather than building from that momentum, the Irish opened the 2011 campaign by gift-wrapping a game to USF. Notre Dame failed to score on four trips to the red zone and found a way to lose 23-20 despite gaining twice as many yards as USF.

We didn't win, they lost.

They did gift wrap it.  Anyone that doesn't think so is blinded by their green and gold glasses.  At least we took advantage of it.

​

http://www.thebullspen.com/topic/79329-front-page-on-yahoo/?hl=%2Bnotre+%2Bdame#entry931307

And yes, if you read further down, I did get arguments.

​

http://www.thebullspen.com/topic/79329-front-page-on-yahoo/?hl=%2Bnotre+%2Bdame#entry931307

And yes, if you read further down, I did get arguments.

I specifically remember folks saying on the ESPN boards that CSH simply played a "bend but don't break" defense.  The called his game plan "perfect execution".  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Actually, it was the start of something kind of great ..... we won the next 3 games by an average margin of 37 points. The rest of the year was kind of like the opener (so not really a fuke?), with 4 of the 7 losses being by 3 points, with an average of 5 points being the difference in 6 of the 7. Not downplaying a win over a ranked ND team, @ South Bend, no matter what the circumstances was not wearing g&g goggles at the time, IMO .... and the rest of the season bore that out.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I thought the same thing.  I watched the Notre Dame game and was ecstatic we won... but that keep it in front of you defense and passive play was too much.  I saw that we were outmanned at the start.  Look at the game, they had  a clear physical advantage, we caught Kelly his first year and those guys just over thought it.  I remember those long chunk runs.  Turnovers killed us.  Our offense was terrible, we had zero running game.  It was literally all BJ and turnovers from the Leavitt guys.  It wasn't like we were beating them, they were beating themselves.  

BJ played as well as he could.  The oline stunk that game up too.  We should thank their first half QB Crist for that win.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Actually, it was the start of something kind of great ..... we won the next 3 games by an average margin of 37 points. The rest of the year was kind of like the opener (so not really a fuke?), with 4 of the 7 losses being by 3 points, with an average of 5 points being the difference in 6 of the 7. Not downplaying a win over a ranked ND team, @ South Bend, no matter what the circumstances was not wearing g&g goggles at the time, IMO .... and the rest of the season bore that out.

It was the start of something great?  Then 3 games later we played Pitt and won 1 more game that entire season.  And then was the next season... we went 3-9.  I don't see how that was the start of something great.  To me that was one of the most depressing seasons we've had because that team should have been much better.  They made zero improvement from the year previous.  They got worse.  I'm not sure how that started something special... unless you're referring to the all of the losses that would ensue.  It was great if you were a school playing against USF.... not so great for us.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

It was the start of something great?  Then 3 games later we played Pitt and won 1 more game that entire season.  And then was the next season... we went 3-9.  I don't see how that was the start of something great.  To me that was one of the most depressing seasons we've had because that team should have been much better.  They made zero improvement from the year previous.  They got worse.  I'm not sure how that started something special... unless you're referring to the all of the losses that would ensue.  It was great if you were a school playing against USF.... not so great for us.

I said "kind of great", meaning the 3 game blowout streak after that, nothing more. Nothing about starting "something special". That season was one of almosts with 5 one possession losses that could have gone either way, just like the ND game could have, meaning that game wasn't much of a fluke for that season. Minimizing a win, ANY kind of a win, at South Bend is kind of ridiculous ...