• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How bad were our QBs last season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

CWT is 100% responsible for the handling of the QBs.  He chooses the starter, when to pull them, and when to say "hey, we are going to ride this guy through the rough spots".  It is his job to develop our talent.  He has not shown a capacity to do so.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

He would have been hammered for leaving a QB in that wasn't performing.  Sometimes the, "talent" can't be developed.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

We were bad.

Can we get worse?

Yes, if we can't get the plays in quicker than last season!

CWT is 100% responsible for the handling of the QBs.  He chooses the starter, when to pull them, and when to say "hey, we are going to ride this guy through the rough spots".  It is his job to develop our talent.  He has not shown a capacity to do so.

I have a question. 

Did we actually have a QB on the roster that fit what we planned on running or did we try and run a pound the ground style due to no real faith in any QB?

I have a question. 

Did we actually have a QB on the roster that fit what we planned on running or did we try and run a pound the ground style due to no real faith in any QB?

That is a good question.  White was CWT's guy, Flowers is CWT's guy.  He is getting QBs he wants.  I find it hard to believe he was simply recruiting "system" guys.  Plus, White and Flowers are two very different QBs.  So I would assume that CWT recruited them for a reason.  

He would have been hammered for leaving a QB in that wasn't performing.  Sometimes the, "talent" can't be developed.

Your comment leads me to believe that you don't think we have a QB on the roster that is starter material.  If so, you are not alone in your thoughts.  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Miserable.

I still think even more of an issue is Taggart running the offense. Hopefully the change in offense will be what was holding us back and not Taggart, but considering there were teams that had the same talent if not less to work with were able to put up points with a bad QB most of my blame goes to him.

Look at the handful of guys even behind white ranked in the 100+ area and there teams were still able to outscore our team by a good amount. 

1. Trevor Siemian (Northwestern) QBR - 43.3. NW averaged 23 ppg last year.
  2. Tyler Jones (Texas State) QBR - 43.0. TX ST averaged 34 ppg last year.
  3. Quinn Kaehler (San Diego State) QBR - 42.2. SDST averaged 25 ppg last year.
  4. James Knapke (Bowling Green State) QBR - 41.0. BG averaged 30 ppg last year.
  5. Colby Kirkegaard (Wyoming) QBR - 40.3. WY averaged 21 ppg last year.
  6. Pete Thomas (Louisiana Monroe) QBR - 39.9. LM averaged 20 ppg last year.

USF averaged 17 ppg last year. That's with a 36 point effort against FCS Western Carolina. Remove that game and we averaged 15.5 points in 11 games and that's with 38 points against Tulsa. Take away the 38 points in the Tulsa game along with the 36 against Western Carolina and in 10 games we averaged 13 ppg.

In the AAC our offense doesn't have to have a QB who has a QBR in the 60-70 area to put up points and to win football games. Would be nice, but not necessary.

Need improvement out of the QB and the person running the offense.

Not sure what this qb ranking is you're going by but it's hard to put much stock in it when one lower rated than MW had these type stats:

Tyler Jones - TSU

246/376  65.4%

2670 yds

22 TD's

7 INT's

CWT is totally responsible for the bottom line but blaming him for the lack of scoring because of the way he RAN the offense is off base, especially if you watched us play last year. As was mentioned, often the plays were there to be made and the players just didn't execute. We need improvement out of the qb AND every other player on offense to score more points. Hopefully the changes with the  offense will make them execute better.

The conversation was surrounding QBR. So I pulled up ESPN's QBR ratings.

I watched every single road game and was at every single home game except 1. Taggart runs the offense. Taggart calls the plays. Taggart is to blame significantly for the offensive scoring struggles just like the players are and non execution. People talk about the non execution aspect like USF is the only college football team that has or had trouble with execution and that's the only thing that has held us back. Scoring 13 points a game outside of the FCS game and Tulsa is just ridiculous. We had players on that side of the ball to make things happen. 

I do think most of it had to do with the style of offense, but what I am getting from your response is that Taggart deserves barely any to no blame for the scoring problems?? Comical. From what I gather from above Taggart must have called the right play almost every time last year, and he must have had the right players on the field almost every play, and he must have had the offense prepared perfectly for every game (especially the UCF game or SMU) it was just all the players fault for us not going 10-2. 

100% agree we need improvement from the QB AND every other player on offense, but we also need improvement from Taggart in order to make that happen. Most players are not going to get better and develop on their own. That's why he's paid over a million dollars a year. He needs to be a better play caller, be more creative, get the players in the right positions, and flat out find a way to get his team and his offense to score points in an absolute disaster of a conference called the AAC. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Your comment leads me to believe that you don't think we have a QB on the roster that is starter material.  If so, you are not alone in your thoughts.  

I don't know.  All I know is that in limited action last season, Flowers put too much air under his throws for my taste.  Was that nerves or inexperience, I guess we'll find out soon.  Kean and Woulard are unknowns at this point.

The position seams to be Flowers to lose.  Let's hope he's as, "special" as CWT has said he's been.

I don't know.  All I know is that in limited action last season, Flowers put too much air under his throws for my taste.  Was that nerves or inexperience, I guess we'll find out soon.  Kean and Woulard are unknowns at this point.

The position seams to be Flowers to lose.  Let's hope he's as, "special" as CWT has said he's been.

One thing I don't get is the choice of system from the start.

You're in Florida with mostly the leftover talent that didn't go to the Big 3 but are still quality kids with lots of speed.

So why try and use a pound the ground style when most of the kids were used to playing a spread offense or a read option?

We burn White's redshirt with how many games left?

Now we have two(or had two) different style QBs as mentioned and switching to a spread/read attack.

I can only imagine if we had used this from the start.

:GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

Miserable.

I still think even more of an issue is Taggart running the offense. Hopefully the change in offense will be what was holding us back and not Taggart, but considering there were teams that had the same talent if not less to work with were able to put up points with a bad QB most of my blame goes to him.

Look at the handful of guys even behind white ranked in the 100+ area and there teams were still able to outscore our team by a good amount. 

1. Trevor Siemian (Northwestern) QBR - 43.3. NW averaged 23 ppg last year.
  2. Tyler Jones (Texas State) QBR - 43.0. TX ST averaged 34 ppg last year.
  3. Quinn Kaehler (San Diego State) QBR - 42.2. SDST averaged 25 ppg last year.
  4. James Knapke (Bowling Green State) QBR - 41.0. BG averaged 30 ppg last year.
  5. Colby Kirkegaard (Wyoming) QBR - 40.3. WY averaged 21 ppg last year.
  6. Pete Thomas (Louisiana Monroe) QBR - 39.9. LM averaged 20 ppg last year.

USF averaged 17 ppg last year. That's with a 36 point effort against FCS Western Carolina. Remove that game and we averaged 15.5 points in 11 games and that's with 38 points against Tulsa. Take away the 38 points in the Tulsa game along with the 36 against Western Carolina and in 10 games we averaged 13 ppg.

In the AAC our offense doesn't have to have a QB who has a QBR in the 60-70 area to put up points and to win football games. Would be nice, but not necessary.

Need improvement out of the QB and the person running the offense.

Not sure what this qb ranking is you're going by but it's hard to put much stock in it when one lower rated than MW had these type stats:

Tyler Jones - TSU

246/376  65.4%

2670 yds

22 TD's

7 INT's

CWT is totally responsible for the bottom line but blaming him for the lack of scoring because of the way he RAN the offense is off base, especially if you watched us play last year. As was mentioned, often the plays were there to be made and the players just didn't execute. We need improvement out of the qb AND every other player on offense to score more points. Hopefully the changes with the  offense will make them execute better.

The conversation was surrounding QBR. So I pulled up ESPN's QBR ratings.

I watched every single road game and was at every single home game except 1. Taggart runs the offense. Taggart calls the plays. Taggart is to blame significantly for the offensive scoring struggles just like the players are and non execution. People talk about the non execution aspect like USF is the only college football team that has or had trouble with execution and that's the only thing that has held us back. Scoring 13 points a game outside of the FCS game and Tulsa is just ridiculous. We had players on that side of the ball to make things happen. 

I do think most of it had to do with the style of offense, but what I am getting from your response is that Taggart deserves barely any to no blame for the scoring problems?? Comical. From what I gather from above Taggart must have called the right play almost every time last year, and he must have had the right players on the field almost every play, and he must have had the offense prepared perfectly for every game (especially the UCF game or SMU) it was just all the players fault for us not going 10-2. 

100% agree we need improvement from the QB AND every other player on offense, but we also need improvement from Taggart in order to make that happen. Most players are not going to get better and develop on their own. That's why he's paid over a million dollars a year. He needs to be a better play caller, be more creative, get the players in the right positions, and flat out find a way to get his team and his offense to score points in an absolute disaster of a conference called the AAC. 

BINGO!