• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Article: Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

12 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Ya I agree its a big if, but with Fox and NBC both aggressively going after the Mothership, who owns rights to pretty much anything CFB postseason, it may be the only play.

I also agree when the split happens it will dampen most of the shine on the team and its competition. But lets be honest USF is basically in a "separate but equal" world right now. My gut tells me the in between tier can be more popular than FCS, the fan bases of schools in pretty much all of the G5 conferences except the Sun Belt are decent enough to garner greater interest than what the FCS can.

I would be shocked if any non P5 school gets a promotion. The money is set. The goal, in my opinion, is to reduce the P5 down to 64 teams. I just dont see any school getting in that isnt already there.

When the Big 12 dissolves I think certain members that get left behind could be jumped by a handful of G5 teams, pending there is a fit and I think if we position ourselves right the next 8 years we could be one of those schools.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,746
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

A G5 playoff is essentially the G5 agreeing to sit at the back of the bus and not use the same lunch counters and fountains.

Yep. By having a pretend-playoff you have agreed to not darken the P5 "Real" Football realm EVER AGAIN! Now...I need you to get in touch with the folks who made the Uconn X UCF fake do-anything rivalry trophy 'cause you can probably use the same template for the P5 Me Too Championship game. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 hours ago, Capital H said:

The beginning of the end happened 16 years ago with the BCS implementation, the split between P5 and G5 was just the icing on the cake. Its just no one in the Green and Gold is willing to accept it since USF is at the kiddy table.

You're in denial if you think the have and have nots is only 16 years old.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

You're in denial if you think the have and have nots is only 16 years old.

LOL fair enough. Some people in this thread think it only happened when the BEAST got dissolved.

20 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

When the Big 12 dissolves I think certain members that get left behind could be jumped by a handful of G5 teams, pending there is a fit and I think if we position ourselves right the next 8 years we could be one of those schools.

Yeah its possible. The benefit USF and UCF has is location. That being said, if the new tier required Notre Dame to join a conference that's a slot gone. Texas, OU, OSU, WVU seem to be locks. Objectively does USF provide a better value than KSU, KU, Baylor, Texas Tech, or Iowa St.?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

8 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Yeah its possible. The benefit USF and UCF has is location. That being said, if the new tier required Notre Dame to join a conference that's a slot gone. Texas, OU, OSU, WVU seem to be locks. Objectively does USF provide a better value than KSU, KU, Baylor, Texas Tech, or Iowa St.?

I'd say KU gets in because of basketball the rest depending on the conference and other moves made I could make an argument in USFs favor if pressed.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Did not read all the posts.  My preference is legal action to get an eight team playoff with two of the highest ranked Group of 5 at spots 7&8 or have a play in game for the 8th spot by those two teams.  The first games would be home games by the higher ranked school.  Even a 12 team playoff with the top 4 having a bye like th4e FCS playoff.

Edited by BullDoug
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BullDoug said:

Did not read all the posts.  My preference is legal action to get an eight team playoff with two of the highest ranked Group of 5 at spots 7&8 or have a play in game for the 8th spot by those two teams.  The first games would be home games by the higher ranked school.  Even a 12 team playoff with the top 4 having a bye like th4e FCS playoff.

Wait, you actually think G5 could force TWO teams to get access?

I didn't realize they legalized it in Texas yet. Pass that good stuff this way my man. :)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

25 minutes ago, Gismo said:

USF > Iowa

Do u mean Iowa State?  Iowa has way more tradition and $.  They are competitive in the B10.  U could add Rice too with ISU.