• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doubts about Antigua!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

Who knows if the COA hire was good or not. The ppl that claim it was a great hire are no different than the ppl calling it a failure. It is too early to tell. I for one did not like the hire, but the recruiting looks to be going well. I think by the end of next year we will have an idea if this was a good hire or not.

You have to give COA time, but it is quite funny all the love the man gets.

So far his 1st year looks a lot like Tags first year looked.

Both coaches started off with crappy teams. The difference is COA's kids are actually improving while CWT's teams have been train wrecks both entire seasons.

1-10 in Conference seems pretty ****** to me.

Annnnd we're back to page 2's discussion.  Can we just link to that, rinse and repeat.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

This thread is silly , esp for a first year coach who had to basically rebuild a team from NOTHING.   Give the guy another full season than come back to complain. 

But looking at the level of play, the discipline, the improvement to date and recruiting I say Antiqua is doing fine and will have this team in good shape by year 3.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

This thread is silly , esp for a first year coach who had to basically rebuild a team from NOTHING. Give the guy another full season than come back to complain.

But looking at the level of play, the discipline, the improvement to date and recruiting I say Antiqua is doing fine and will have this team in good shape by year 3.

I think year 3 will be a good time to start reflecting. If we end up keeping a lot of the kids we have currently, they will have essentially filtered out by then and then it will be COA's guys

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Who knows if the COA hire was good or not. The ppl that claim it was a great hire are no different than the ppl calling it a failure. It is too early to tell. I for one did not like the hire, but the recruiting looks to be going well. I think by the end of next year we will have an idea if this was a good hire or not.

You have to give COA time, but it is quite funny all the love the man gets.

So far his 1st year looks a lot like Tags first year looked.

Apples to oranges. Tags didn't have 50+% of his team transfer out. When people talk about a rebuilding project, the MBB is TRULY a rebuild.
Completely agree. There's something much different about Antigua than Taggart. Not sure what it is exactly yet. Maybe has something to do with Antigua coming in with a quiet confidence like he's a man on a mission vs. Taggart and his corny PR stunts like Do Something and the bus.

You can't put that bus video on Tags. He said what he said but I'm sure the video was Marketing Dept stuff.

BS, he promoted the hell out of it. The man is more of a motivational speaker than coach. Way too many sayings and phrases vs. focus on developing players and winning.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I have to agree. One or two great basketball players and you can turn a 7 win team into a 20+ win team. It takes much more to turn a football program around. 

In most instances you are right that it is easier to turn around a basketball program then a football program. However USF is one of the few schools where it is easier to turn a football program around then the basketball program because it is easier to recruit to FB here. Look at the success a no name coach like Willie Taggart has had in recruiting to USF. He has had the top classes in the AAC for 3 years running and has never done anything eye catching as a head coach anywhere.

You can criticize Heath's coaching ability but not his ability to recruit. The man was a very good recruiter until he came to USF. For all his years as HC of the Bulls, Heath's best players where either inherited, transferred in, or part of a deal to come here.  He could never really just go out and win a recruiting battle to get some stud HS recruits. Look at COA rep as a national recruiter but so far he has had a difficult time getting stud HS recruits. Coach O has a great staff with name recognition, and he himself is very well known in the coaching profession as an asst at Pitt, Mem, and UK.

COA is really having to recruit foreign players and is digging through the JC ranks which is something I don't think he has ever had to do or certainly not much before. It's still early in is tenure so we'll see what the class of '16 looks like, but Taggart and the FB has proven to be much easier to recruit to then whoever is coaching the men's basketball program. If COA can have close to Taggart's success recruiting then he will win BIG at USF. 

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Is this thread serious? Antigua had 3 players to work with that had D1 experience. One of which is AC who simply looks lost half the time on the court. I didn't even think we'd have 7 wins up to this point. It was going to be ugly. The man is a good basketball coach, but anyone who thought there was hope for even a .500 like season was crazy. He will have us respectable in basketball quicker than what Taggart has done and he's got a harder job. 

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I was not enthusiastic about the hiring of Orlando Antigua. As we are headed to another loss (now 7-17), my doubts are growing.

His recruiting is not all that impressive so far either.

Disappointed in the results so far to say the least!

As expected.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Is this thread serious? Antigua had 3 players to work with that had D1 experience. One of which is AC who simply looks lost half the time on the court. I didn't even think we'd have 7 wins up to this point. It was going to be ugly. The man is a good basketball coach, but anyone who thought there was hope for even a .500 like season was crazy. He will have us respectable in basketball quicker than what Taggart has done and he's got a harder job. 

Seriously?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

It's threads like this that give this forum a bad name

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

This thread is the essence of TheBullsPen.com