• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Standard Visiting UH Fan Post

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

First time I went to Bern's was about 40 years ago. My elder brother was in town to celebrate something or other and took the family there.

When he ordered a $200 bottle of wine, I nearly shat myself - that was more than my damned CAR cost, LOL.

Bern's is aweome.

I first went there when we moved down here 25 years ago. I remember taking the tour of the wine cellar and that in itself was worth the trip. It has one of the largest wine selections in the country. We also toured the kitchen which had huge saltwater fish in massive tanks. The steaks were pretty decent, but coming from NYC, with so many great steakhouses, I wasn't overly impressed with them. 

Their separate dessert room is pretty special.

I've only been back to Bern's a few times since then to take visiting family and friends.

I have eaten at some equally good (and pricey) "steakhouses" in Tampa, but I mostly go to Frontier Cattle Co, on Sligh Avenue off of Route 301, where it is always casual dress, and the steaks are cooked over orange wood, which gives them a unique flavor,  and the price is very reasonable. For a  big steak eater,  who wants to try, they have  a 6 pounder which you can get for free, if you finish the complete meal within the allotted time. LOL

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I just checked Wikipedia and saw this:

Bern's Steak House

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

250px-Bern%27s_Steak_House.svg.png Type Private Founded 1956 Headquarters Tampa, FL, United States Key people

Chef De Cuisine: Habteab Hamde

Executive Pastry Chef: Kim Yelvington Owners David Laxer Employees >300

Bern's Steak House is a steak restaurant in the SoHo district of Tampa, Florida, founded in 1956. It is currently owned and operated by David Laxer, son of original owner Bern Laxer.[1]

It has a sister restaurant, Side Bern's, and a wine and liquor store, Bern's Fine Wine & Spirits. In 1996, Wine Spectator rated Bern's in a tie for the best steak house in the United States.[2] In 2009 Rachael Ray rated Bern's as the best restaurant in America, having beat out over a dozen top-rated steakhouses across the U.S.[1] In 2010 industry magazine Nation's Restaurant News deemed Bern's a "Top 50 All-American icon."[2]

George W. Bush ate at Bern's twice during his presidency.[3][4][5]

Bern's Steak House is famous for not only its food, much of which is organic and grown especially for Bern's, but also for its massive wine list. Bern's has the largest wine list of any restaurant in the world.[6] In its cellars can be found depression-era French red wine, pre-war Sauternes, and Madeira from the 17th century. Diners can take a tour of the wine cellar as well as the kitchen at Bern's after their meal. Bern's boasts the largest private wine collection in the world, and due to this status has quite a following of wine aficionados. Bern's is one of three locations that annually host "Winefest", the second largest private fundraiser for charity in the Tampa Bay area, the first being "Taste of Tampa".

The establishment also boasts a private dessert room, the Harry Waugh Dessert Room.

Another notable feature of Bern's Steak House is that there is only one single window in the entire establishment, although it is not viewable by customers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bern%27s_Steak_House

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Zing!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Not to sidetrack this too much, but let's just hope some damned fool from OSHA doesn't shut them down for their lack of windows...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Not to sidetrack this too much, but let's just hope some damned fool from OSHA doesn't shut them down for their lack of windows...

I'm sure they are grandfathered in.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

IMHO: Fabulous Filet, from Charlie's, is my favorite steak in tampa.

Berns is the best dessert

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Hey Bulls fans I want to preface my post by saying I default to rooting for you guys if you aren't playing Houston. That isn't just visiting fan butt kissing, I hate UCF (beer throwing, self important mickey mouse scum) and all the other Florida colleges. I feel like both our schools are in cities that don't appreciate them as much as they deserve. Also our chancellor (who I mostly approve of) came from USF.

So I am going to be at Raymond James on Saturday to watch the Coogs and Bulls. I work and go to school full time but I have started doing one annual random semi UH related road trip to a city I have never seen. This year Tampa was the best fit on my schedule (last year I did Louisville).

I have done a nominal amount of Tampa/USF research but what should I do in 2 days in Tampa besides the game? I figured you guys would be the best place to start.

Not going to throw in any more suggestions.  You have more than enough for 2 days.  Just wanted to welcome you to our Board.  We always enjoy our trips to Houston so hopefully you will enjoy Tampa while here.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

All very good suggestions thanks guys!

I found a cheap ticket for the Lightning game, which I probably wouldnt have even thought of (live nhl is awesome but I dont live in a town with a team).

Make sure you go to Hattricks either before or after the game...walking distance from the "Ice Palace" (Can't help myself).  They have a website and you will not be disappointed by the talent behind the bar.  Drinks are great, local IPA is awesome, and some of the best chicken wings!  If you can afford to do so and like steak, wine and amazing dessert Bern's Steakhouse is one of my favorite steak restaurants.  I would stay away from Ybor, if you are going it alone.  If you go to Bern's Steakhouse, or not, you can walk down Howard Ave and it is one bar after another and the party often times pours over onto the street...great fun.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Almost forgot, you should definitely check out our campus.