• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

University of "South Florida"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

Florida is not splitting... Why do reps even waste their time.

Same issue in California.

America is staying locked in at 50 states.

There is an article about splitting California every year and it will never happen

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Lol.

South Florida would be larger than that. Pasco, hernando, and citrus counties are closely aligned with the Bay Area, and those idiots didn't even include Seminole county - that little thing essentially a few miles north of UCF - as its part of the metro Orlando area. That north south line would be at Marion county.

Also, would UF then steal the UNF name? USF would be the main school, and UCF could be South Florida State U lol. FSU would be NFSU.

That'd be a political poo storm, the i4 corridor is a huge voting swing area, would be a lot of fights about which state got it. Cool to ponder, but that's about it.

Since we're taking hypothetical, not necessarily.

Just like there is a West Virginia, but no East Virginia, I would imagine it would be the state of Florida and the state of South Florida.

UF and FSU (along with all of their political allies) would not want to change their names (especially since it's all ready taken by others) and mess with their traditions/history.

UCF can't change their names back to Fl Tech (already taken)  And would be way to proud to allow themselves to be a weird directional school as I pointed out.

Plus they would be way to proud/butt-hurt (as some here would say) to have us suddenly be the new state flagship.

Perhaps they would change their name (as Danm pointed out) to South Florida State University (although still an awkward name/abbreviation - SFSU) or  University of Orlando/Orlando University.

good points, i was caught up in the ND/SD and NC/SC naming conventions.

Also, LOL, I used to call it Oviedo State or Bithlo State, man, we used to go out to Bithlo for the 1/4 mile racing, it was dueling banjo territory. They could probably do like Cincinnati and just call themselves University of Orlando, sounds pretty good, and while it's not "in" Orlando, it's a metro school for sure.

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

I would rather Miami-Dade break away and be their own country.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Lol.

South Florida would be larger than that. Pasco, hernando, and citrus counties are closely aligned with the Bay Area, and those idiots didn't even include Seminole county - that little thing essentially a few miles north of UCF - as its part of the metro Orlando area. That north south line would be at Marion county.

Also, would UF then steal the UNF name? USF would be the main school, and UCF could be South Florida State U lol. FSU would be NFSU.

That'd be a political poo storm, the i4 corridor is a huge voting swing area, would be a lot of fights about which state got it. Cool to ponder, but that's about it.

less than that. It's across the street. One side of McCulloch Road is UCF/Orange County the other side is Seminole County(where that Publix is and apartments)

True, I lived in Northgate or whatever it's called for a while, down the street from Tivoli. (Yes, I went to UCF too back in the day).

Also, regarding (another post) about going to Orlando State/Tampa State, the schools in California like SJSU, FresnoSU, and SDSU are all part of the University of California system.

i.e., it's:

Cal State Fresno, ...at San Jose, ...at San Diego, at least they were before they made the names a little more independent sounding.

Even the California State schools are location based like UC Davis, etc.

I'd never agree to that, would mean we'd be under either FSU or UF in terms of perception/reality, and if you thought we'd get a cut of their massive monies, we'd probably be relegated to getting just enough for us.

Edited by Danm1983

• 5 months later...

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

Just like Fort Valley State or Savannah State in here in GA.

And let's not forget the State University of Ball.

There is always my favorite, the State University of Morehead.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I would love for this to happen. Only issue with the proposed split is that North Florida controls most of the central corridor of the State. Polk, Highlands, Hardee, Desoto, Okeechobee, and Glades  Counties are more in line with North Florida culturally, socially, etc.  

Hypothetically speaking, to avoid a future third Florida split they would need to revise their map.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18