• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart says we can win the AAC this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Would people prefer the headline say "Taggart says USF cannot win the AAC this year and will be lucky to win 2 more all year."?

He's gotta stay positive even if everyone else is not.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,260
  • Days Won:  1

I'd rather him not say anything and just win it

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

honestly I'd rather him stay focused on short term goals like beating UConn. if you achieve short term goals than the long term goals will take care of themselves. start by trying to sustain a drive, then winning a quarter, then winning a half then winning a game.

personally i think it's dumb to throw out long term goals especially if they seem unrealistic. all coaches seem to do it then after the first loss they say "it's o.k. it's only one loss. we can still win conference" then after 2nd loss they say "it's o.k. we're only 1 game behind 1st place"  after awhile when that goal is no longer possible the players start to think there is nothing left to play for. they quit on the season.

keep goals short term and somewhat realistic.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We have not played a conference game. Of course we have a chance to win the conference this year.

Plus, our conference is terrible.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

I'd rather him not say anything and just win it

This.

More coaching, less talking.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We have not played a conference game. Of course we have a chance to win the conference this year.

Plus, our conference is terrible.

as bad as the conference is there are some decent teams at the top of it.

I think it's dumb to suggest to a 2-10 that a realistic goal is to win the conference this year. it's sets them up for disappointment and as the losses come in they start to see that they won't achieve that goal and they become less interested in playing as that was their prime motivation.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

In some ways this reminds me of Raheem Morris's talk a few years ago that he told his team "you are the best team in the league". They weren't, but they won 10 games despite a record # of rookie starters. If this team had some belief and pride in itself i can't disagree with Taggart, because they would take care of the little things and big things it takes to win football games.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

honestly I'd rather him stay focused on short term goals like beating UConn. if you achieve short term goals than the long term goals will take care of themselves. start by trying to sustain a drive, then winning a quarter, then winning a half then winning a game.

personally i think it's dumb to throw out long term goals especially if they seem unrealistic. all coaches seem to do it then after the first loss they say "it's o.k. it's only one loss. we can still win conference" then after 2nd loss they say "it's o.k. we're only 1 game behind 1st place" after awhile when that goal is no longer possible the players start to think there is nothing left to play for. they quit on the season.

keep goals short term and somewhat realistic.

I like the win a drive part. We have not done that too much.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I read the article and CWT doesn't say we will win the conference championship this year...

“We’re trying to build that foundation and get it back to that. First, you have to stop that downward spiral. Then you set the foundation and get it back to where we all want it to be. Winning the conference is one of our goals, and that’s something still attainable for us.’’

Saying the conference championship is still attainable for us (since we haven't played a conference game yet) is a far cry from saying we will win it this year.  

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

We are not mathematically eliminated, but if he truly feel this team is playing the type of football required to win ANY conference, then he's either delusional or has very little respect for the level of competition in the AAC.

That said, I agree that it's much more likely that he's just being positive and using motivational coach-speak.