• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students Perspective on the Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I was at the game last night and then rewatched the game on espn3 replay this morning and im just not as panicked as some people on this board.

1. I was proud to see the students section rocking. Something Im sure most of you dont know is that greek recruitment started this morning. All greeks has to be at school at 8 this morning and was proud to see how many greeks there were at the game even sticking through after the rain delay as most of us got home after midnight. (Also sidenote, Greeks will not be allowed to attend the game next week due to the rules set on us by the university so i am very interested to see the difference in the student section that causes.)

2. I completely agree that Mike White was absolute garbage until 6 minutes left in the first half. But after that I think he calmed down and played a decent game. Im not saying good, im saying decent. I dont know if it was nerves in the beginning but I think the game would have had a completely different outcome if white had made those four or five throws he shouldn't have missed early in the game. Especially that first one where he over shot andre for the touchdown on fourth and five. If that touchdown happens I dont believe it take White a quarter and a half to settle into the game. 

3. Was really impressed that the team continued to fight after thor and the other offensive lineman left the game (blanking on the name) along with andre davis. I think if that had happened to this team at any point last year the game would have been over mentally for them. 

4. One thing that stood out to me the most was the comeback made by the team. I wouldnt put ALL the praise on Mack but he does deserve allot of it. I think considering we were down two offensive lineman they were still able to open up holes for him was impressive considering their inability to do anything at all last year. Also i wonder how much the passing game suffered not having McFarland or Davis playing. 

All of this is just my own opinion but I feel some people are just blowing this game up way too much. I really do think if Mike White makes some of those throws in the beginning of the game it could have changed the whole dynamic. Now i dont want anyone to think im drinking the koolaid because by no means do I think that was a great or good win but I think for a team that went 2 and 10 last year there was a tangible amount of good to take away from the game.  

What you're not understanding here is that WCU is the worst team in SoCon which is a DI FCS school. This game was scheduled because they were the easiest team USF could find, so that our players could blow them out and get some swagger before going into two big games against Maryland and NC State. 

If we can't defeat a DI FCS school then that is a horrible sign that something is wrong. Its either the players or the coaching. 

In any event I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt, and fully expect to lose the next 4 games. Again if we can't soundly beat a horrible FCS school then what shot do we have at beating Maryland, NC State, Natti, UConn, or God forbid UCF.

Dark days ahead.

you have no idea where they will finish this year.

we did defeat them.

I guarantee the goal for the coaches is not to blowout some team so they can get swagger.

It is to work on areas of weakness to prepare them for the conference schedule and to get a win.

Not sure why people expected some huge transformation from last year to this.

we were 2-10 and scored 11 TDs all of last year.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

I was at the game last night and then rewatched the game on espn3 replay this morning and im just not as panicked as some people on this board.

1. I was proud to see the students section rocking. Something Im sure most of you dont know is that greek recruitment started this morning. All greeks has to be at school at 8 this morning and was proud to see how many greeks there were at the game even sticking through after the rain delay as most of us got home after midnight. (Also sidenote, Greeks will not be allowed to attend the game next week due to the rules set on us by the university so i am very interested to see the difference in the student section that causes.)

2. I completely agree that Mike White was absolute garbage until 6 minutes left in the first half. But after that I think he calmed down and played a decent game. Im not saying good, im saying decent. I dont know if it was nerves in the beginning but I think the game would have had a completely different outcome if white had made those four or five throws he shouldn't have missed early in the game. Especially that first one where he over shot andre for the touchdown on fourth and five. If that touchdown happens I dont believe it take White a quarter and a half to settle into the game. 

3. Was really impressed that the team continued to fight after thor and the other offensive lineman left the game (blanking on the name) along with andre davis. I think if that had happened to this team at any point last year the game would have been over mentally for them. 

4. One thing that stood out to me the most was the comeback made by the team. I wouldnt put ALL the praise on Mack but he does deserve allot of it. I think considering we were down two offensive lineman they were still able to open up holes for him was impressive considering their inability to do anything at all last year. Also i wonder how much the passing game suffered not having McFarland or Davis playing. 

All of this is just my own opinion but I feel some people are just blowing this game up way too much. I really do think if Mike White makes some of those throws in the beginning of the game it could have changed the whole dynamic. Now i dont want anyone to think im drinking the koolaid because by no means do I think that was a great or good win but I think for a team that went 2 and 10 last year there was a tangible amount of good to take away from the game.  

What you're not understanding here is that WCU is the worst team in SoCon which is a DI FCS school. This game was scheduled because they were the easiest team USF could find, so that our players could blow them out and get some swagger before going into two big games against Maryland and NC State. 

If we can't defeat a DI FCS school then that is a horrible sign that something is wrong. Its either the players or the coaching. 

In any event I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt, and fully expect to lose the next 4 games. Again if we can't soundly beat a horrible FCS school then what shot do we have at beating Maryland, NC State, Natti, UConn, or God forbid UCF.

Dark days ahead.

we did defeat them.

I guarantee the goal for the coaches is not to blowout some team so they can get swagger.

It is to work on areas of weakness to prepare them for the conference schedule and to get a win.

Barely... we defeated the worst team in a FCS conference. 

We went 2-10 as a FBS team... WCU went 2-10 last season as a FCS school.

Here are some of the "college powerhouses" that defeated WCU last season... 

- The Citadel

- Samford 62-23

- Chattanooga 42-21

- Wofford

- Georgia Southern

- Furman

- Middle Tennessee State

At least McNeese State last year was one of the best teams in the FCS... 

Edited by Bane

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Dark days ahead.

we did defeat them.

Barely... we defeated the worst team in a FCS conference. 

We went 2-10 as a FBS team... WCU went 2-10 last season as a FCS school.

Here are some of the "college powerhouses" that defeated WCU last season... 

- The Citadel

- Samford 62-23

- Chattanooga 42-21

- Wofford

- Georgia Southern

- Furman

- Middle Tennessee State

At least McNeese State last year was one of the best teams in the FCS... 

again that was last year. george o'leary went from 0-11 to winning cusa east the next year.

the coaches got more aggressive in 3rd quarter. we went from down two scores to up 30-17. there was never a doubt after that.

we could have easily blown them out if that was their goal. it's not. they are not as short sighted as some fans. they see weaknesses that we need to improve on so they worked on them. playing off the ball and tackling in space look to be areas they want to improve in. that's what you do when you play tune up games.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

What you're not understanding here is that WCU is the worst team in SoCon which is a DI FCS school. This game was scheduled because they were the easiest team USF could find, so that our players could blow them out and get some swagger before going into two big games against Maryland and NC State. If we can't defeat a DI FCS school then that is a horrible sign that something is wrong. Its either the players or the coaching. 

Lets just say that barely beating WCU will hurt next weeks attendance just as bad if we had just lost to them outright.

WTF are you talking about? This game was scheduled while Holtz was still coach. Our FCS team is usually scheduled at least 3 years in advance.

:facepalm:

http://nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/southflorida_future.htm

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Students looked like they were rocking all game from my seat.

I am really excited for 3:30 pm Saturday.

That 3rd quarter team looked good. If we can play that way for 4 quarters, watch out.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,467
  • Days Won:  25

That 3rd quarter team looked good. If we can play that way for 4 quarters, watch out.

PSA - DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

It will be extremely hot this week and next.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Somehow we got back on topic, amazing. :FIREdevil:

I thought the students did a great job Saturday. The improvements in our team over last year's McNeese debacle was significant, I was happy to see them hang tough. I would like to have seen a stouter D, especially towards the end of the game when WCU's dink-and-dunk plan was obvious--but hey, we got down, settled down, then came back and scored more than 30 points. And we did it with very few penalties, looked disciplined. I have hope it will get "significantly better" as the ol' coach/announcer said.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Is beer not a good hydration tool?!??!  :stirpot:

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

Is beer not a good hydration tool?!??!  :stirpot:

I don't know about hydration, but it will be good for diffusing the inevitable meltdown following the Maryland game.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Should I be concerned that a Greek organization wanted me to cook for their tailgate this week? Should I not cash that check yet? lol. 

• Upvote 1