• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students Perspective on the Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Am I the only one that considers this thread a complete embarassment?

Embarassing.

I'm just imagining a bunch of college age males whining about how they can't go to the game [when they really can]...

This also proves how weak our Greek system is compared to other universities... can you imagine the Greeks not going to a big OOC game at auburn, UF, Georgia etc?

Blame the Greeks not USF. If they can't go to the game and tailgate without breaking the fake rules they abide by... it's their problem.

i'm with you.

greek life is solid at usf but come on.... you guys are gonna look like **** if you don't show up to the biggest home game of the year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

Chair backs were a bad example, but the number of excuses people have for not going to games that have been said in here or in person to any of us over the years pale in comparison to this one in regards to legitimacy. The guy is getting railed for saying why other people (not him) might not go to the game. If he had said anything other than the Greeks having a scheduling conflict, no one would care. Fraternities far and away have been part of college experiences long before football and by a wide margin at USF. The Greeks go to infinitely more sporting events on campus than I do. If thousands of kids have a conflict with one game because the chose joining a major organization on campus and have to miss one game (either because they physically can't like the girls or choose to bow out during the busiest time of year for them by choice), bummer. See you next week with the new guys in tow.

And no, I was not in a fraternity.

5000th post and I sound like an ******* in it.

It's really not him getting railed, it's the leaders of these orga-ni-zations that can't figure out a way to let their members go to the game during this ... I never did get an answer, that I saw, if there were students all over college football missing games this weekend for this reason .... and also has been pointed out, there will still be booze and girls there.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Chair backs were a bad example, but the number of excuses people have for not going to games that have been said in here or in person to any of us over the years pale in comparison to this one in regards to legitimacy. The guy is getting railed for saying why other people (not him) might not go to the game. If he had said anything other than the Greeks having a scheduling conflict, no one would care. Fraternities far and away have been part of college experiences long before football and by a wide margin at USF. The Greeks go to infinitely more sporting events on campus than I do. If thousands of kids have a conflict with one game because the chose joining a major organization on campus and have to miss one game (either because they physically can't like the girls or choose to bow out during the busiest time of year for them by choice), bummer. See you next week with the new guys in tow.And no, I was not in a fraternity.5000th post and I sound like an ******* in it.

It's really not him getting railed, it's the leaders of these orga-ni-zations that can't figure out a way to let their members go to the game during this ... I never did get an answer, that I saw, if there were students all over college football missing games this weekend for this reason .... and also has been pointed out, there will still be booze and girls there.
He addressed that. They always pick a weekend at the beginning of the year when we're out of town. Which I assume is what everyone else does. Our 4 straight home games handcuffed them. You can't exactly add your new members in October. Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

Chair backs were a bad example, but the number of excuses people have for not going to games that have been said in here or in person to any of us over the years pale in comparison to this one in regards to legitimacy. The guy is getting railed for saying why other people (not him) might not go to the game. If he had said anything other than the Greeks having a scheduling conflict, no one would care. Fraternities far and away have been part of college experiences long before football and by a wide margin at USF. The Greeks go to infinitely more sporting events on campus than I do. If thousands of kids have a conflict with one game because the chose joining a major organization on campus and have to miss one game (either because they physically can't like the girls or choose to bow out during the busiest time of year for them by choice), bummer. See you next week with the new guys in tow.And no, I was not in a fraternity.5000th post and I sound like an ******* in it.

He addressed that. They always pick a weekend at the beginning of the year when we're out of town. Which I assume is what everyone else does. Our 4 straight home games handcuffed them. You can't exactly add your new members in October.

Ok, that does address most of the rest of the country not having to deal with it ..... BUT if they get to pick the weekend after the schedule is out, why wouldn't you pick the least attractive home game of the month? Who picks the weekend? ..... And still don't get why there can't be something creative done to get them to the game without being in harms way.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The bottom line is they don't believe they can go and not break the rules.  So, instead of going as individuals, they'll stay home as a group.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

He addressed that. They always pick a weekend at the beginning of the year when we're out of town. Which I assume is what everyone else does. Our 4 straight home games handcuffed them. You can't exactly add your new members in October.
Ok, that does address most of the rest of the country not having to deal with it ..... BUT if they get to pick the weekend after the schedule is out, why wouldn't you pick the least attractive home game of the month? Who picks the weekend? ..... And still don't get why there can't be something creative done to get them to the game without being in harms way.

First weekend of school might be tough with everything else new college kids are facing? No idea.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Not in a frat.  I don't tailgate mostly because my friends don't.  Just so that's out there.

I see where the frat concerns' are coming from though.  Most of your buddies are probably in your frat.  If you all go and hang out a lot, it can look like a frat event.  Some people are @$$-hats and would report them for some sort of stupid joke or out of misguided concern for the rules.  You don't want to risk your buddies in the frat getting in trouble.  So you don't go as a group.  And even if you go individually, you gotta pay for parking or wait after the bus drops you off.  Even then, you can't risk hanging out with your buddies too much or attracting too much attention or those same @$$-hats might report you.  Takes a considerable amount of fun out of a game. 

Now, I'll be there in the student section.  But I understand where this Greek thing is coming from. They are just afraid of being hit by the University.  Understandable.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

You are telling me it is going to say explicitly that you cannot participate in tailgating events or you will be suspended?

Or is the system afraid to go because they think pledges will make their way to the tailgate and it will be considered hazing?

More the latter. One could definitely be considered hazing if they are seen drinking and out of fear say someone in the fraternity told them to drink to save their own butt. In florida if a chapter is found guilty of hazing their president and another member (their title varies by chapter) also gets arrested.

Also seeing a brother talk to someone going through recruitment could be considered "dirty rushing" in which case that fraternity could be barred from taking new members this recruiting cycle

Seen by who?

Snitches

LOL

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

The bottom line is they don't believe they can go and not break the rules.  So, instead of going as individuals, they'll stay home as a group.

john-carnemolla-flock-of-sheep-in-roadwa

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

I was at the game last night and then rewatched the game on espn3 replay this morning and im just not as panicked as some people on this board.

1. I was proud to see the students section rocking. Something Im sure most of you dont know is that greek recruitment started this morning. All greeks has to be at school at 8 this morning and was proud to see how many greeks there were at the game even sticking through after the rain delay as most of us got home after midnight. (Also sidenote, Greeks will not be allowed to attend the game next week due to the rules set on us by the university so i am very interested to see the difference in the student section that causes.)

2. I completely agree that Mike White was absolute garbage until 6 minutes left in the first half. But after that I think he calmed down and played a decent game. Im not saying good, im saying decent. I dont know if it was nerves in the beginning but I think the game would have had a completely different outcome if white had made those four or five throws he shouldn't have missed early in the game. Especially that first one where he over shot andre for the touchdown on fourth and five. If that touchdown happens I dont believe it take White a quarter and a half to settle into the game. 

3. Was really impressed that the team continued to fight after thor and the other offensive lineman left the game (blanking on the name) along with andre davis. I think if that had happened to this team at any point last year the game would have been over mentally for them. 

4. One thing that stood out to me the most was the comeback made by the team. I wouldnt put ALL the praise on Mack but he does deserve allot of it. I think considering we were down two offensive lineman they were still able to open up holes for him was impressive considering their inability to do anything at all last year. Also i wonder how much the passing game suffered not having McFarland or Davis playing. 

All of this is just my own opinion but I feel some people are just blowing this game up way too much. I really do think if Mike White makes some of those throws in the beginning of the game it could have changed the whole dynamic. Now i dont want anyone to think im drinking the koolaid because by no means do I think that was a great or good win but I think for a team that went 2 and 10 last year there was a tangible amount of good to take away from the game.  

What you're not understanding here is that WCU is the worst team in SoCon which is a DI FCS school. This game was scheduled because they were the easiest team USF could find, so that our players could blow them out and get some swagger before going into two big games against Maryland and NC State. If we can't defeat a DI FCS school then that is a horrible sign that something is wrong. Its either the players or the coaching. 

Lets just say that barely beating WCU will hurt next weeks attendance just as bad if we had just lost to them outright.

Edited by Bane