• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students Perspective on the Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

You are telling me it is going to say explicitly that you cannot participate in tailgating events or you will be suspended?

Or is the system afraid to go because they think pledges will make their way to the tailgate and it will be considered hazing?

None of the above.  If you re-read his posts, USF has been incredibly tight with recruiting restrictions.  Speaking to a potential recruit next Saturday could get the fraternity in a heap of trouble because it is some sort of dead period in recruiting.  Obviously it is easy to talk to a potential recruit in a tailgate setting. 

Seems like it shouldn't be a huge matter for Harlan to get with the Greeks to either adjust the time periods for recruiting or relax the rules.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  43
  • Days Won:  0

You are telling me it is going to say explicitly that you cannot participate in tailgating events or you will be suspended?

Or is the system afraid to go because they think pledges will make their way to the tailgate and it will be considered hazing?

More the latter. One could definitely be considered hazing if they are seen drinking and out of fear say someone in the fraternity told them to drink to save their own butt. In florida if a chapter is found guilty of hazing their president and another member (their title varies by chapter) also gets arrested. 

Also seeing a brother talk to someone going through recruitment could be considered "dirty rushing" in which case that fraternity could be barred from taking new members this recruiting cycle 

None of the above.  If you re-read his posts, USF has been incredibly tight with recruiting restrictions.  Speaking to a potential recruit next Saturday could get the fraternity in a heap of trouble because it is some sort of dead period in recruiting.  Obviously it is easy to talk to a potential recruit in a tailgate setting. 

Seems like it shouldn't be a huge matter for Harlan to get with the Greeks to either adjust the time periods for recruiting or relax the rules.

This sums it up perfectly. like in football dead period. The recruit can call taggart but taggart cant call him. In our recruiting system we can get in trouble for both occurences. 

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Absolutely do not hate the Greek system. I have a few good friends, including my college roommate who was greek... brother is currently at USF.

The Greek system is part of what makes universities.

I just think the fact that the Greeks cannot attend the biggest home OOC game of the year is foolish. They can and SHOULD go.

Edited by Willie_T_For_Me
  • Upvote 1

I would also like to point out that is only for one week a year. its the most stressful ridiculous week of the year but it is only for one week. This year it just happens to be on the week of our biggest ooc home game

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

If you can't get **** faced and sign up for a credit card with a random social security number in the concourse for a free robo-goat t-shirt, what's the point of going to the games anyway?

Edited by George Jenkins
  • Upvote 2

Absolutely do not hate the Greek system. I have a few good friends, including my roommate who was greek... brother is currently at USF.

I just think the fact that the Greeks cannot attend the biggest home OOC game of the year is foolish. They can and SHOULD go.

and i can speak for every single one ive talked to that we do wish we could go without a doubt want to be there. Tailgating is the greatest part of the year and we only get to do it six times so missing out on one has everyone groaning. 

This could be  the length of the thread about a certain ucla quarterback if we discussed completely how this university doesnt really help the greek system

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If you can't get **** faced and sign up for a credit card with a random social security number in the concourse for a free robo-goat t-shirt, what's the point of going to the games anyway?

Amen.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

More the latter. One could definitely be considered hazing if they are seen drinking and out of fear say someone in the fraternity told them to drink to save their own butt. In florida if a chapter is found guilty of hazing their president and another member (their title varies by chapter) also gets arrested.

Also seeing a brother talk to someone going through recruitment could be considered "dirty rushing" in which case that fraternity could be barred from taking new members this recruiting cycle

Assuming (and k get you're telling me it's a big assumption) the rules are followed it would be no problem. That's my only point here. The Greek system absolutely can go... and out of fear of USF or however you want to phrase it... they are not.

Just make the rules crystal clear... tailgate and go to the game.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Absolutely do not hate the Greek system. I have a few good friends, including my roommate who was greek... brother is currently at USF.

and i can speak for every single one ive talked to that we do wish we could go without a doubt want to be there. Tailgating is the greatest part of the year and we only get to do it six times so missing out on one has everyone groaning. 

This could be  the length of the thread about a certain ucla quarterback if we discussed completely how this university doesnt really help the greek system

Pssttt....Seven home games this year...