• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New NCAA Structure

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

The NCAA adopted new governing rules for Division 1. The major highlights are listed below http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/board-adopts-new-division-i-structure

Expanded board of directors: Includes 10 FBS presidents, 5FCS presidents with football and 5 FCS presidents without football 1 student athlete, 1 athletic director, 1 faculty athletics representative (from FARA), and 1 senior women's sports representative (from NACWAA)

The new council consists of 2 student- athletes, 32 conference representatives, 4 conference commissioners, 2 faculty representatives (1 from FAR, FCS, and 1 from FARA, FBS)

Big 5 Autonomy - all schools represented and 3 student- athletes from each conference (total 15), for more flexibility to be granted 60% of all votes and simple majority of 3 of 5 conferences, or 51% total and simple majority of 4 of 5 conferences.

Sample on vote to pay players requires 48 votes and at least 6 from the Big XII, 7 from PAC12, 8 from SEC, B1G, and ACC (at least three of these must be met) or 41 votes and at least 6 BIG XII, 7 PAC12, 8 SCE, B1G, ACC (at least 4 of 5 must be met).

Flexibility can only be applied in areas where approved. 

Changes in rules can only be adopted in April. 

Edited by Triple B
To clean up link

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

AAC is doing an "all-in" gamble.

Looks to me that they'll accept any think that the "D4" throws out and is willing to match it to prove they belong.

Hoping it separates them from the other "G5" conferences

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

At first it looks okay, but then...

We get less power than the FCS? I mean, really? Even if you toss in D2 and D3 schools in there, they generally have little to lose while the G5 has the most to lose if they get outvoted. Why don't we have more power-do the P5 despite us that much?

Now the autonomy has been solidified. How do we expect to create a new power conference if this rules are set in stone?

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

To avoid anti-trust there should be clear criteria that may be met by any conference that would qualify them to be a part of the Power conferences

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

To avoid anti-trust there should be clear criteria that may be met by any conference that would qualify them to be a part of the Power conferences

This.  That's what I don't understand.  Who appointed these guys "P5," and created this coalition they have?  So they just got together and said "we're going to vote ourselves our own set of rules?"  

Wouldn't that be like a few of the states in the US getting together and deciding to declare themselves independent from the USA?  Sounds like it.  This is just stupid.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

There has to more to this. I see this as an iceberg

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

If the AAC can afford the player payout then I don't see how they can keep the AAC from the P5...

What prevents the AAC from being a P5 program? 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

This.  That's what I don't understand.  Who appointed these guys "P5," and created this coalition they have?  So they just got together and said "we're going to vote ourselves our own set of rules?"  

Wouldn't that be like a few of the states in the US getting together and deciding to declare themselves independent from the USA?  Sounds like it.  This is just stupid.

That's what I and other people I've spoken to have asked/thought.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If the AAC can afford the player payout then I don't see how they can keep the AAC from the P5...

What prevents the AAC from being a P5 program? 

TV contracts. Plain and simple.

AAC can make all the noise they want, but if no one is willing to pay them relatively equal for the TV rights, there's nothing they can do to keep up.