• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An introduction and a couple of questions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

If you're into roller coasters, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to checkout Busch Gardens. Something more thrilling than relaxing I know, but, its a suggestion.

In addition to sampling the local culture, I feel like you owe it to yourselves to hit up a beach. Ybor isn't too far away from the interstate, which can take you over to places like Clearwater and St. Pete. Both have great beaches, and, with good traffic, probably aren't more than 30 minutes away from Ybor. 

AVOID the Interstate from Ybor to the airport at all costs! It's a nightmare.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Speaking of Jai Alai, is the fronton still running? Always a fun place to take out-of-towners.

Pretty sure the guy at Cigar City said the fronton is shut down.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Speaking of Jai Alai, is the fronton still running? Always a fun place to take out-of-towners.

Pretty sure the guy at Cigar City said the fronton is shut down.

Long gone. Died here in the late 90s. Only about a half dozen places left in Florida.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

If you're into roller coasters, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to checkout Busch Gardens. Something more thrilling than relaxing I know, but, its a suggestion.

In addition to sampling the local culture, I feel like you owe it to yourselves to hit up a beach. Ybor isn't too far away from the interstate, which can take you over to places like Clearwater and St. Pete. Both have great beaches, and, with good traffic, probably aren't more than 30 minutes away from Ybor. 

AVOID the Interstate from Ybor to the airport at all costs! It's a nightmare.

I mean it can be. Providing they don't go during some type of peak hour (say 4-6pm) It isn't terrible. Plus the bridge(s) give a nice little view of the bay. There are a few different routes to take (maybe taking the Selmon to Gandy, or making their way to boulevard and cypress to 275), my point was that they aren't very far from the beaches, and that they should take advantage.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

As for beer Cigar City is good but their best beers are the special/seasonal releases. I find their main 4 rather meh personally but their white oak Jai Alai is amazing if available. Also a lot of their hopped on the high seas beers are interesting. If your up for a bit of drive Dunedin Brewery is great and 7th sun nearby is epic. The Tampa bay brewing company is a good brewpub as well and it is located right in Ybor. Down south in St Pete you have Cycle brewing, 3 daughters (It has a pretty epic game room), St Pete Brewing Co, and Green Bench are in a nice little cluster of breweries. In that area there is also an amazing tap house called The Ale and the Witch. In Tampa a good taphouse is the Pour House, or in Seminole Heights the Mermaid Tavern. 

As for tailgating I personally Tailgate with the Bull Backers group and you are more then welcome to stop by my tailgate. I almost always have the smoker out there cooking up all kinds of good eats. 

1401921_10152029409363754_1108247629_o.j

1417819_10152029410168754_1472732769_o.j

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  29
  • Days Won:  0

I really appreciate all the help. At the moment the beach is high on the list and some of the restaurants sound great too.

And Speedy Bull - thank you so much for the offer. We may well take you up on that. Once we know a bit more about what we're doing then we'll get in touch.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I think the pics sealed the deal. Certainly makes me want to fly to Tampa...awesome!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Don't worry so much about Ybor. The area is on a mellow-out down swing from its high and tight times. Centro Ybor is touristy and the comedy club/movie theater is right there. Tampa Bay Brewing Company is also right there in centro, one of my favs and was on one of the food network/travel channel shows. I love going to the Ritz for live music (Phanotgram, Metric, Washed Out, Chvrches) but ya have to check out their calendar for music dates. Never been to Orpheum (seems a little rowdy for me) and I hear the Crowbar is becoming kind of cool for live music.The food down there is great and there's a new jazz bar as well if you are into that kind of thing. As long as you aren't a mouthy drunk 'murican wondering 7th avenue at 2am, you'll be fine. If you are in your 40s you can smell out trouble and stay away if you so desire.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Don't worry so much about Ybor. The area is on a mellow-out down swing from its high and tight times. Centro Ybor is touristy and the comedy club/movie theater is right there. Tampa Bay Brewing Company is also right there in centro, one of my favs and was on one of the food network/travel channel shows. I love going to the Ritz for live music (Phanotgram, Metric, Washed Out, Chvrches) but ya have to check out their calendar for music dates. Never been to Orpheum (seems a little rowdy for me) and I hear the Crowbar is becoming kind of cool for live music.The food down there is great and there's a new jazz bar as well if you are into that kind of thing. As long as you aren't a mouthy drunk 'murican wondering 7th avenue at 2am, you'll be fine. If you are in your 40s you can smell out trouble and stay away if you so desire.

Yup, Ybor has been cleaned up considerably. Coph has hit on some of the best live music bars/venues in Ybor, but I'd also like to add the New World Brewery to that list. They have some fantastic stone oven pizzas, great brew, and great local/smaller musical acts as well.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  29
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the reassurance re-Ybor. I thought based on reviews that it was a reasonable option but obviously some of your experiences there differ! You know that we're not going to be hitting any student bars or anything like that. If our "drunk-arsehole" detectors are working then I'm sure all will be well.

It sounds like the plan wll be to do the beach and a restaurant on Thursday (and Mons Venus if I have any say in it!) and then Busch Gardens and tailgating Friday.  It also sounds like we'll need a car for the whole stay rather than just the trip up to Tallahassee on Saturday.

What do you all think would be a reasonable time to get down to the stadium for a Friday night game and a few brews?