• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An introduction and a couple of questions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  29
  • Days Won:  0

Don't leave FL until you've had a Cuban sandwich (a real ybor treat) and a devil crab (another ybor treat) during casual dining.

For fine dining and seafood I recommend the Charter House on the water.

Please repost during game week so we can talk football!

Thanks for the recommendations.  I will definitely be back to find out more about how the teams coming on and who wins the QB race. i had a read of a pretty comprehensive preview from a guy who sounded like he knew what he was talking about:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/30/5665968/south-football-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster

I don't know how true it is but it helped me understand a bit more about the team.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Just Google micro brew Tampa when you get here...

https://www.google.com/#q=Micro+Brew+Tampa

Plenty to choose from.

or Beer Advocate:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/69/

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985

Speaking of Jai Alai, is the fronton still running? Always a fun place to take out-of-towners.

You have to go to Ocala for Jai Alai.  They closed this in the early 90's. 

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  201

The highway system to St. Pete and Clearwater is a peice of cake and a beautiful drive.  Don't let traffic discourage you. I make the trip every single day.  Rush hour will add an extra 30 minutes on the bridges but avoid 4-6 p.m. and you'll avoid the delay.  If you do head south toward St. Pete, I would say spend the extra 15 minutes driving to check out Fort DeSoto and Egmont Key.  The Dali Museum is downtown on the way and very cool. Really worth the extra time. USF St. Pete is nearby as well.  You can check out that very awesome satellite campus.

The Clearwater beaches (Honeymoon, Caldessi, North Beach, etc.) are closer from Ybor but I don't know as many places to eat over there.  Frenchy's is always popular but the food isn't really great.  I would probably grab a cuban sandwich or PUBLIX SUB, for lunch and then eat dinner somewhere cool like the Rusty Pelican (high end) or Whiskey Joes on the way back.  It's too bad you won't be here in October when Stone Crab is in season...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

If you're into roller coasters, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to checkout Busch Gardens. Something more thrilling than relaxing I know, but, its a suggestion.

In addition to sampling the local culture, I feel like you owe it to yourselves to hit up a beach. Ybor isn't too far away from the interstate, which can take you over to places like Clearwater and St. Pete. Both have great beaches, and, with good traffic, probably aren't more than 30 minutes away from Ybor. 

AVOID the Interstate from Ybor to the airport at all costs! It's a nightmare.

Just have to say when I was in town this past week and a half, this information was extremely helpful to me.  When going to BullsRally, coming from northern Tampa, I cut over to Courtney Campbell by taking MLK to Dale Mabry, then DM to Columbus, and on from there.  Traffic was a breeze going that way.

Upvote to you sir for probably the most relevant info in this thread. 

The highway system to St. Pete and Clearwater is a peice of cake and a beautiful drive.  Don't let traffic discourage you. I make the trip every single day.  Rush hour will add an extra 30 minutes on the bridges but avoid 4-6 p.m. and you'll avoid the delay.  If you do head south toward St. Pete, I would say spend the extra 15 minutes driving to check out Fort DeSoto and Egmont Key.  The Dali Museum is downtown on the way and very cool. Really worth the extra time. USF St. Pete is nearby as well.  You can check out that very awesome satellite campus.

The Clearwater beaches (Honeymoon, Caldessi, North Beach, etc.) are closer from Ybor but I don't know as many places to eat over there.  Frenchy's is always popular but the food isn't really great.  I would probably grab a cuban sandwich or PUBLIX SUB, for lunch and then eat dinner somewhere cool like the Rusty Pelican (high end) or Whiskey Joes on the way back.  It's too bad you won't be here in October when Stone Crab is in season...

Good rec on the Rusty Pelican.  Went there with my wife last Friday, great weather and seat right by the window overlooking the bay.  Got the crab stuffed grouper.  Solid eats. 

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  201

Good rec on the Rusty Pelican.  Went there with my wife last Friday, great weather and seat right by the window overlooking the bay.  Got the crab stuffed grouper.  Solid eats. 

Indeed.  Love the atmosphere and blackened scallops ;)

Had those for an appetizer. Delicious!

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

And your Hoooters experience in The Bay Area will beat any you may have had in the UK. I've read some bad reviews of those saying the girls looked miserable.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

The Hooters in Channelside is probably the worst talent on Earth.