• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An introduction and a couple of questions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'd agree that you can't go wrong with a meal at the Columbia for relaxation and a meal unique to the local culture.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Don't leave FL until you've had a Cuban sandwich (a real ybor treat) and a devil crab (another ybor treat) during casual dining.

For fine dining and seafood I recommend the Charter House on the water.

Please repost during game week so we can talk football!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Go here and get the espresso brown ale if they still ahve it in September. Better than crack IMO.

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/whats-on-tap/?age-verified=5dc05376e5

Second this, although my fave was the Maduro brown ale. Just did a tour this past weekend and it was only $5 and you got a decent amount of beer free. The brewpub a few miles away was solid also.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Don't leave FL until you've had a Cuban sandwich (a real ybor treat) and a devil crab (another ybor treat) during casual dining.

For fine dining and seafood I recommend the Charter House on the water.

Please repost during game week so we can talk football!

I'll second the deviled crab roll. We used to have this old guy on a bicycle come by our shop every day around 10 AM with his devil crabs and bottle of hot sauce. Oh man, I could go for one of those things now.

While you're at it, get yerself some hushpuppies and fried catfish, with collard greens, mac n cheese, and cornbread. Wash it down with some sweet tea and you've had yourself a southern dinner

Edited by charsibb
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

James joyce irish pub is the only "bar" I would go to in ybor. Ybor is kinda cool during the day though. Bars and restaurants on south howard are good (i used to work at ciccios, amazing food). Dale mabry has the strip clubs. The international mall has good restaurants and shopping. For breakfast go to datz, pachs place, daily eats, or ellas folk art cafe (brunch). Clearwater beach isnt far away. If you go there check out frenchys rockaway grill palm pavillion or cooters for oysters. Hogans beach on sundays is crazy, but a young crowd for sure. If you are near campus go to busch gardens if you like amusement parks. Near there is a great German restaurant and greek restaurant Mr. Dunderbauks and Acropolis, respectively. If you want mexican food try out tacoson or taco bus. And last but not least go to a publix and get a sub made!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Taco Bus - #6 food truck in America.

And get a media noche instead of a Cuban.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

If you're into roller coasters, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to checkout Busch Gardens. Something more thrilling than relaxing I know, but, its a suggestion.

In addition to sampling the local culture, I feel like you owe it to yourselves to hit up a beach. Ybor isn't too far away from the interstate, which can take you over to places like Clearwater and St. Pete. Both have great beaches, and, with good traffic, probably aren't more than 30 minutes away from Ybor. 

Edited by Breedwell

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,683
  • Days Won:  8

Did you say brews? You must visit, the Cigar City brewery then. The Jai Lai and Maduro brews are popular local choices, and if you can't make it to the brewery they can be had at most area bars. In addition to that you can also take a tour of the Yingling brewery which is right next to USFs campus. Yingling is also popular with the locals and can be had anywhere.

As for bars South Howard Avenue (aka Soho) is the place to go, and a much better atmosphere than Ybor (unless you really like circus sideshows).

If you do make it to South Howard, the Green Lemon (Mexican) is where I always go with friends to eat. Sometimes they will give out shots on the house poured directly into your mouth and they have good margaritas. It is a short walk from the bars on the same street.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Definitely Cuban instead of Media Noche.  You can get those and deviled crabs at Alessi bakery, which has a sit down section.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Speaking of Jai Alai, is the fronton still running? Always a fun place to take out-of-towners.