• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An introduction and a couple of questions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

If u make it to St Pete, the Horse and Jockey has some bloody good sheperds pie...in South Pasadena

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If u make it to St Pete, the Horse and Jockey has some bloody good sheperds pie...in South Pasadena

Now why would he want to go and muck up a perfectly good tour of local fare with Brit food!? :evil:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030

Figured he might be homesick by then and its the real deal, my mum was born and raised in oxford and only her pie was better than theirs...round here anyways

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980

Thanks for all the advice guys. We're all 40ish so won't be there with the students but will probably do a fair bit of damage to the local brews. I'll point the other guys at this thread and see what they like the look of.

I would guess that Mons Venus will be high on the list but outside that we're over for the football and a bit of relaxation.

I'll check in again tomorrow after the other two have had a chance to read this and let you know what we plan.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the advice guys. We're all 40ish so won't be there with the students but will probably do a fair bit of damage to the local brews. I'll point the other guys at this thread and see what they like the look of.

I would guess that Mons Venus will be high on the list but outside that we're over for the football and a bit of relaxation.

I'll check in again tomorrow after the other two have had a chance to read this and let you know what we plan.

Thanks again!

If you plan on going to Mons Venus, you can basically walk to the Cigar City Brewery which has a tasting room (basically a bar).....both establishments are owned by the beloved Redner family.    Cigar City also has a restuarant/bar about 20 minutes North of the Stadium in Carrollwood (just drive up Dale Mabry heading north).   Younger, hip'ish, college bar scene is all along Howard Ave and all walkable from bar to bar (MacDitons is the most popular & very crowded, World of Beer is cool, The Lime - pretentious, The Lodge - packed , most of the nicer restuarants are around International Mall (Eddie V's, Ocean Prime, Ruth Chris, a couple of Brazilian meat house resturuants, bunch of nice bar/restuarants in International Mall.  Sports bars:  Brickhouse (very popular), Selmons by International Mall, Hooters on Hillsborough, Selmons in Carrollwood.  Four Green Fields is "the" local Irish pub of Tampa, Irish 31 is pretty nice.   Davis Island is quant area with a few OK restuarants/bars all walkable.  Some good sushi restuarants around in South Tampa.

Alot depends on what area were you are staying.

Here's my plan for you.....you can thank me later:

Day1:

My recommendation for a big night:  Do dinner at Berns Steak House (ask for a tour of the kitchen, wine cellar) on Howard and then the bar scene'ry afterwards on Howard.  Finish it up with a late Visit to Mon's Venus and then head over to the Taco Bus on Hillsborough Ave (don't veer off the path to far) for some late Taco's.

Day 2:  

Do a day at the beach, go to St. Pete Beach (down by the Hurrican Restuarant which overlooks the beach), have drinks up on the 3rd roof floor at the Hurricane and then head over to downtown St. Pete along Gulf Beach Drive and have dinner at BellaBrava or any of the restuarants in that classy/hip area that all overlooks the Bay.

Day 3:  If your a golfer, go golfing at World Woods "Pine Barrens" course in Brooksville or even better Black Diamond in Lecanto if you have "pull".

Advice: 

1) Watch were you drive - mostly at night, Tampa is has good and bad area's all mixed together. 

2)  Don't give $ to the pandhandlers at every intersection....they are professionals

Edited by Bulls2k

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

If you plan on going to Mons Venus, you can basically walk to the Cigar City Brewery which has a tasting room (basically a bar).....both establishments are owned by the beloved Redner family.    Cigar City also has a restuarant/bar about 20 minutes North of the Stadium in Carrollwood (just drive up Dale Mabry heading north).   Younger, hip'ish, college bar scene is all along Howard Ave and all walkable from bar to bar (MacDitons is the most popular & very crowded, World of Beer is cool, The Lime - pretentious, The Lodge - packed , most of the nicer restuarants are around International Mall (Eddie V's, Ocean Prime, Ruth Chris, a couple of Brazilian meat house resturuants, bunch of nice bar/restuarants in International Mall.  Sports bars:  Brickhouse (very popular), Selmons by International Mall, Hooters on Hillsborough, Selmons in Carrollwood.  Four Green Fields is "the" local Irish pub of Tampa, Irish 31 is pretty nice.   Davis Island is quant area with a few OK restuarants/bars all walkable.  Some good sushi restuarants around in South Tampa.

Alot depends on what area were you are staying.

Here's my plan for you.....you can thank me later:

Day1:

My recommendation for a big night:  Do dinner at Berns Steak House (ask for a tour of the kitchen, wine cellar) on Howard and then the bar scene'ry afterwards on Howard.  Finish it up with a late Visit to Mon's Venus and then head over to the Taco Bus on Hillsborough Ave (don't veer off the path to far) for some late Taco's.

Day 2:  

Do a day at the beach, go to St. Pete Beach (down by the Hurrican Restuarant which overlooks the beach), have drinks up on the 3rd roof floor at the Hurricane and then head over to downtown St. Pete along Gulf Beach Drive and have dinner at BellaBrava or any of the restuarants in that classy/hip area that all overlooks the Bay.

Day 3:  If your a golfer, go golfing at World Woods "Pine Barrens" course in Brooksville or even better Black Diamond in Lecanto if you have "pull".

Advice: 

1) Watch were you drive - mostly at night, Tampa is has good and bad area's all mixed together. 

2)  Don't give $ to the pandhandlers at every intersection....they are professionals

"The Getaway" is fairly new place and very very popular.  Casual but very nicely done.   Not the best location but it's close, it's on the water and ideal for afternoon drinks and people watching.  DON'T speed on Gandy Blvd - always police on both sides of the bridge.  No food but they are supposed to have food trucks and there's a local seafood'ish restuarant right next to it.  http://thegetawaytampabay.com/

Edited by Bulls2k

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  29
  • Days Won:  0

You guys are brilliant - thanks for all this information. We re going to have a brilliant time. Shepherd's Pie or no shepherd's pie! ;)

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If you want Shepherd's Pie you could try the Pub in International Plaza.  Although, it might not be to your standards.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  29
  • Days Won:  0

If you want Shepherd's Pie you could try the Pub in International Plaza. Although, it might not be to your standards.

I think it's likely to be wings, steak and some more wings whilst we're over.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If you want Shepherd's Pie you could try the Pub in International Plaza. Although, it might not be to your standards.

I think it's likely to be wings, steak and some more wings whilst we're over.

Good call, I never eat, "American" food when I'm in other countries.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Someone tell the team and Willie they have no choice but to win and play good now since we have some friends from overseas coming to watch their first football game. I wish we were winning so the atmospehere would be better for these guys.