• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some of us Understand. Some should learn.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The generation that complains the most about participation trophies etc are the ones handing them out and that created the culture. Blame your generation for handing them out not the kids who receive them.

QFT

Co-sign

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

Here's the original video. Agree with nearly all the comments made. We used to eat dirt, and now nobody can eat a peanut? WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWRdHXbTmrs

Hell, I remember riding my bicycle behind the mosquito truck, weaving in and out of the spray for blocks. For fun. And I lived

Mosquito-Truck.jpg

But what stands out to me most starkly in the choice of visuals in that video is the lack of any depictions of persons of color until the narrator starts talking about jail and police. Huge Freudian slip, IMO.

A

Agreed.

And this video is complete garbage. Infant mortality and accidental deaths were much higher in 50s and 60s (as compared to today), life spans were shorts (as compared to today), and US workers are far more productive today than ever before. 

1947 - 1977 was also during the Great Prosperity. America was on an upward trajectory from a lost generation. But we shouldn't glorify some of the most difficult social times in US history with "Red, White & Blue" goggles. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Criminy, I remember when I had to go pick my own switch off the bush outside so my grammaw could lay down the law. If my folks hadn't "helped" me understand the reality of bad choices, there's no telling what kind of dumb junk I would have done. I did enough as it was...

yeah, this is probably MCL stuff, but kid athletes these days mostly understand me-first, then you. It takes a lot of effort to convince them otherwise unless they had some of the above reality.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

Criminy, I remember when I had to go pick my own switch off the bush outside so my grammaw could lay down the law. If my folks hadn't "helped" me understand the reality of bad choices, there's no telling what kind of dumb junk I would have done. I did enough as it was...

yeah, this is probably MCL stuff, but kid athletes these days mostly understand me-first, then you. It takes a lot of effort to convince them otherwise unless they had some of the above reality.

Today's socio-economics teaches children individualism. It's no surprise that they have a me-first attitude. Blame the baby boomers, because they have caused all the problems that we face today. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I remember when Mom bought my Dad a jigsaw, was 'bout 50 years ago, best I can recollect. First thing he cut was a piece of 1x6 pine. Made a paddle out of it. Dad's gone, but I still have that paddle.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Hell, I remember riding my bicycle behind the mosquito truck, weaving in and out of the spray for blocks.

This explains so much ...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

The generation that complains the most about participation trophies etc are the ones handing them out and that created the culture. Blame your generation for handing them out not the kids who receive them.

I blame General Motors and this guy. GM for encouraging us to move away from the extended family and out to the suburbs, and Spock for being the "accepted" resource for all the newly independent moms, freed at last from the doinion of their mothers, sisters, aunts, sisters-in-law, and mothers-in-law

Spock_160x244.jpg

I blame soccer moms and the feminization of boys. Moms are an ever bigger role in sports and the ones I've seen have been harmful to competition, development and growth. Sorry if that offends you.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

No.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I feel a parenting lesson coming...