• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some of us Understand. Some should learn.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

And carrying your child from base to base is off the charts stoopid.

That kid needs some serious tough love

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

your all old 

:stirpot:

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

No, it's because Moms run the show.

I've seen a mother insist a son quit a team because he was not a starter. The father said that was an incorrect response. She gave him the glare of death (he probably thought about his sex life and personal fortune vanishing) and conceded to her. She proceeded to tell the kid he was the best on the team but needed to find a better team to play for. Coaching youth basketball for 8 years has taught me a lot about this topic.

If you want to blame the husband, you can. He'd certainly have something else to blame.

Coaching youth football, baseball and basketball we see and hear it at every game from the moms.

It is usually from the kid's that put out little effort or goof around in practice or miss half the practices then the mom comes to the games and screams at the coaches the second half of the game about her kid not getting more than his minimum number of plays. Even though the kid doesn't have a clue or can't block, catch, shoot, throw or is never where he is supposed to be.

For most moms it is about playing. For most dads, at least the ones that have played organized sports, it is about understanding that it is about winning.

I agree with Brad 100%.

• Topic Count:  2,327
  • Content Count:  21,276
  • Days Won:  10

Well done Brad.  

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073

No, it's because Moms run the show.

I've seen a mother insist a son quit a team because he was not a starter. The father said that was an incorrect response. She gave him the glare of death (he probably thought about his sex life and personal fortune vanishing) and conceded to her. She proceeded to tell the kid he was the best on the team but needed to find a better team to play for. Coaching youth basketball for 8 years has taught me a lot about this topic.

If you want to blame the husband, you can. He'd certainly have something else to blame.

i agree with this

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

That kid and all the others are too young for organized sports. IMO T- Ball isn't for the benefit of the kids, it's to feed the egos of the parents.

That kid wasn't playing because he wanted to, he was there because his parents made him.. 

Read an article years ago on that subject.  One of the points made was that when young children play in organized sports, as opposed to sandlot games, they never learn to settle disputes.  There is always an umpire or referee to make a call.  Safe/out calls on the bases or fouls in pick up games were always something to argue/fight over. You also learned the verbal arsenal that came with all of that.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

That kid and all the others are too young for organized sports. IMO T- Ball isn't for the benefit of the kids, it's to feed the egos of the parents.

That kid wasn't playing because he wanted to, he was there because his parents made him.. 

Read an article years ago on that subject.  One of the points made was that when young children play in organized sports, as opposed to sandlot games, they never learn to settle disputes.  There is always an umpire or referee to make a call.  Safe/out calls on the bases or fouls in pick up games were always something to argue/fight over. You also learned the verbal arsenal that came with all of that.

VERY good point. Got into a TON of arguments over plays as a kid. Especially in basketball,where "no blood, no foul" almost became a mantra, LOL

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

It's no wonder people are takeing longer and longer to mature. The parents won't allow it. Sounds like a lot of kids arent allowed to do anything for themselves until they leave the home. Can't run the bases?

The point about not being able to settle disputes is a good one. All disputes are probably settled by parents and administrators. I had not thought of this before but I played basketball or touch football with kids on my street apart everyday after school and we were usually totally unsupervised but somehow we could split up the teams fairly and have fun most days. I guess one advantage is that everyone had to play because we didnt have enough kids otherwise. Maybe organized sports should just have smaller teams?

Kids dont learn how to cope and in highschool things get to them so the commit suicide.

I had so much freedom as a kid growing up it was criminal (up to high school). Its a wonder I have done as well as I have but I would say less coddling really made me more resilent and independent. While I had a lot of freedom there were very clear boundaries of what was acceptable and what wasn't, were it not for these I probably would have been arrested.