• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,339
  • Days Won:  43

At that point it comes down to risk taking. Do you take the guy that will vastly improve some key weaknesses (ie fundraising and bball, with the assumption that Taggart has football headed the right way) OR do you play it safe and find a "what if Taggart fails" guy? USF may be signaling a high level of risk taking: "we are betting Taggart fixes FB so we'll need a revenue, marketing, and bball person in charge"

Yes RIGHT NOW basketball is in dire shape and getting worse. USF has to make this hire as he is suppose to be the best at fixing what's wrong with the major sports programs and men's hoops is the clear #1 thing on the list.

If it was the other way around then Harlan might not be the guy they picked. Way to soon to even start thinking thinking about Taggart and the FB program.

We need to give Heath one more year. This year was a disaster as we didnt have one of our best players. Hoping AC is 100% next season as that will be the key for a post season team. And that will save Heath. 

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

The more I think about it the more I like it. The guy can raise money. I'm competitive. I want to win. If he can deliver $$$ let's do it...

I agree it’s not like AD's have the final say on Hiring coaches any more in college athletics. It’s more of a committee that hires coaches in today’s world. The most important thing to ask yourself will USF more money and a true direction for winning across the board in athletics. Oh will he get rid of Stan Heath too?

It’s quite odd that all of our recent major hires lately have westcoast ties Coach T (Stanford), Coach Bresnahan (Oakland raiders), Coach Wulff (WSU and 49ers) and now possible Harlan as AD.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

At that point it comes down to risk taking. Do you take the guy that will vastly improve some key weaknesses (ie fundraising and bball, with the assumption that Taggart has football headed the right way) OR do you play it safe and find a "what if Taggart fails" guy? USF may be signaling a high level of risk taking: "we are betting Taggart fixes FB so we'll need a revenue, marketing, and bball person in charge"

Yes RIGHT NOW basketball is in dire shape and getting worse. USF has to make this hire as he is suppose to be the best at fixing what's wrong with the major sports programs and men's hoops is the clear #1 thing on the list.

If it was the other way around then Harlan might not be the guy they picked. Way to soon to even start thinking thinking about Taggart and the FB program.

We need to give Heath one more year. This year was a disaster as we didnt have one of our best players. Hoping AC is 100% next season as that will be the key for a post season team. And that will save Heath. 

We have been saying that for years and there's always a reason to keep him around... DoJo left early..... no facilities.... injuries..... blah blah blah. Players leave, players get hurt its part of the game. We now have facilities that match up to any in the country and still no major advancement (other than one year) for our program.

Stan is a hell of a Nice guy but simple fact is if we were talking about football he'd been fired years ago.

I'm done giving him one more year.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Time for Stan to go.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

@TBTimes_Bulls: Like others such as @USFCollin, I'm hearing UCLA associate AD Mark Harlan as new #USF AD. Nothing officially confirmed. VERY secret process

7c10d2994aba9d78ea9d00fd7a6b9030.jpeg

?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,521
  • Days Won:  422

Stan is a hell of a Nice guy but simple fact is if we were talking about football he'd been fired years ago.

Simple question, after what year would you have fired him years ago?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,521
  • Days Won:  422

I like the hire if the rumors are true. Harlen's strength and background is fund raising and basketball. Both areas USF will need to improve in. This is very much a move to quickly try and fix the basketball program first which is obviously priority #1 for any AD given USF"s current situation.

I guarantee you that "fixing" the basketball program will not be the #1 priority for the new AD .... Just more evidence that you have no clue about USF athletics.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I like the hire if the rumors are true. Harlen's strength and background is fund raising and basketball. Both areas USF will need to improve in. This is very much a move to quickly try and fix the basketball program first which is obviously priority #1 for any AD given USF"s current situation.

I guarantee you that "fixing" the basketball program will not be the #1 priority for the new AD .... Just more evidence that you have no clue about USF athletics.

Once again another great response from the Bullspen's sheriff. Are you going to arrest me sheriff?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

No 1 priority for new AD should be getting us into the P5. We are going to lag behind if we don't get those revenues.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Pretty sure it's going to be #1 increasing donations and #2 increasing season ticket sales

Which raises an interesting question, where's the indifference point between # of extra football season tickets sold v. basketball? Where do we make more money, and by how much? There's an interesting data study in there somewhere.