• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart's offensive system

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Is Taggarts offensive system being passed by? Are the days of run heavy and great defenses a thing of the past? When is the last time a defense in college or NFL has been that dominant and had virtually no passing attack? Can you plan not to score much and still expect to win games?

This system is not designed to have virtually no passing attack.

This system is basically the 49ers offense.  I think it is safe to say that hasn't been passed by.

The reality is that we are coming off of an era, and really are still in one, with a lot of spread attacks.  Defenses have adjusted by becoming lighter and faster.  This offense is really a response to that.  Getting bigger and more physical should work in an era when the defense is getting lighter and more mobile.

our defenses used to have problems stopping the bigger more physical offenses. they were built to stop spread offenses. hence beating wvu and losing to rutgers.

personally I like this offense. now i know TOP doesn't equate to winning but it certainly helps a defense. WKU was #10 in TOP and #26 in total defense. Alabama was #11. we were #112 in TOP and #65 in defense. I hated watching our offense trot off the field after burning a whopping 26 seconds off the clock.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Spread offenses aren't going anywhere. Look at Texas A&M, Oregon, Texas Tech, now Chip Kelly in the NFL. Defenses are still adjusting to these spread attacks, even Saban is now struggling against Texas A&M, who despite losing to Alabama because of their pathetic defense, scored 42 points and had 630 yards of offense against Alabama. When asked about time of possession, Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin said his priority is to score points.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Our offense doesn't not have a passing attack by design.

It's worrisome that you had to post this.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

How many weeks do we play Musical QB'S?   How many weeks do we try to fit a square peg into a round hole? If the personnel ( players) are not able to play in this NEW SYSTEM  than when do we start playing our freshmen and underclass man for the game exp and give them time to learn this system or do we tweak the system to fit the current players strength?     

We can not continue on the same path each week , we need to show signs of growth , change or maybe look at the coaching. Im NOT saying Willie is a problem or needs to go, I have faith in him. But want to see progress with the players.

Edited by Dhambuc

Spread offenses aren't going anywhere. Look at Texas A&M, Oregon, Texas Tech, now Chip Kelly in the NFL. Defenses are still adjusting to these spread attacks, even Saban is now struggling against Texas A&M, who despite losing to Alabama because of their pathetic defense, scored 42 points and had 630 yards of offense against Alabama. When asked about time of possession, Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin said his priority is to score points.

obviously he's not concerned with his defense. that's great he has a prolific offense but it takes more than that to win and running that style of offense puts a lot of pressure on your defense.

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

This is not a "play from behind" style offense.  No margin for error.  This team commits a few turnovers early and its game over.    

Typically most team do not establish an offense to play from behind. Additonally most offenses are not geared for turnovers either. 

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If he wants to run this power running/play-action pass game...he must start recruiting high-caliber offensive linemen.  Pass blocking on play action plays require not only strength and skill, but technique and an understanding on who to block, especially on blitzes.

When I say "high-caliber", I mean in both physical tools as well as intelligence.

I agree but since we are stuck with Skips offense for another two seasons we need to play Skippy ball until Taggart can get his own guys.

The reason why we are failing is because Taggart is trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

If he wants to run this power running/play-action pass game...he must start recruiting high-caliber offensive linemen.  Pass blocking on play action plays require not only strength and skill, but technique and an understanding on who to block, especially on blitzes.

When I say "high-caliber", I mean in both physical tools as well as intelligence.

I agree but since we are stuck with Skips offense for another two seasons we need to play Skippy ball until Taggart can get his own guys.

The reason why we are failing is because Taggart is trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

that's not how it works. what do you do in year three with the juniors that only know skip's system?

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

that's not how it works. what do you do in year three with the juniors that only know skip's system?

Well you phase in Taggarts system between year two and three... its supposed to be a transition, not a cold turkey cut.

We will suck, and continue to suck until Taggart gets his team... given that Taggart refuses to bend to the team he has. Given this we will likely suck just as bad next season, and the season afterwards until Tag gets all of his players.

Tag is wasting his time and our time if he thinks that he can transform this current group into the players he wants to have... these guys were recruitied for a specific reason and skill set.

Look at how Holtz failed to force BJD into his system... and we sucked because Holtz would not let BJD play his game... well there is no difference between that and Tag forcing the entire offense to play his system.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

These guys were recruited for a specific skill set? if you are talking about the spread or read option, they were 3-9 running it last year with an nfl level quarterback. In fact the only guy on offense showing something is marcus shaw and he provided nothing to the offense the last 3 years.