• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart's offensive system

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

CWT tried power running.  He tried read option.  He tired short passes.  None of it worked.  Our receivers couldn't get open.  Bench had no time, even on three step drops.  How much more tweaking do you think it will take to find the perfect offense for our, "talent".  We need linemen that can hold blocks and read blitzes.  We need receivers that can get separation and catch passes.

I think with that O line he needs to try more traditional option plays. If you've seen the movie We Are Marshall, it pretty much sums it up...The Veer. I think the Spread has replaced that pretty much but you need better WRs for that. Anyway, you see a lot of option plays at the service academies because their linemen are so much smaller due to military restrictions on weight.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrfo96_the-veer-from-we-are-marshall-2006_shortfilms

Oh, and Bowden isn't doing anything, invite him down.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

you guys do realize Shaw is averaging 7.3 yards per carry, right? and that he's averaging just under 20 carries per game.

it's laughable to suggest our power run game isn't working.

oh and our offensive line wasn't very good at pass blocking last year either. Daniels made up for it with his athletic ability but even then he rarely had time to get set. does anybody not remember the last few games ?

if anything they are more suited to Taggart's offense then they were Holtz or Leavitt's.

they are better run blockers and it's easier for linemen to run block. you don't need big fat linemen to run his offense especially in our league. people are going to the spread with smaller linemen because it's en vogue. not because they can't find big linemen.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Wish those guys grew on trees, but they don't.  

\

they are all over the state of florida

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

CWT tried power running. He tried read option. He tired short passes. None of it worked. Our receivers couldn't get open. Bench had no time, even on three step drops. How much more tweaking do you think it will take to find the perfect offense for our, "talent". We need linemen that can hold blocks and read blitzes. We need receivers that can get separation and catch passes.

This.

We have a severe lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. There isn't a legit D-1 QB on the roster, no speed at WR, and our offensive line is a group of revolving doors in pass pro. Shaw has been the lone bright spot on offense. I think we have some talent at TE but the QBs can't find them or we aren't calling plays for them. I have to believe it's on the QBs because I watched a decent amount of WKU last year and the TE was heavily featured in the offense. This team needs an infusion of talent on offense and that will take 2-3 recruiting cycles to happen.

bingo

lack of talent on both sides of the ball

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

you guys do realize Shaw is averaging 7.3 yards per carry, right? and that he's averaging just under 20 carries per game.

But Shaw isn't power, he's finesse. That's working because Shaw has become adept at finding or creating a lane. Pierre is the power game, and his yardage is anemic by comparison.

I've seen like 2 or 3 screens attempted using Shaw & Pierre, and it's a great counter to the pressing D. I definitely agree though, overall it's whether our line gives the QB time to read. None of our QBs are comfortable with reading the field quickly, but I'm hopeful that will come with time. Gotta give them more time right now, but the writing's on the wall at this point: rush, rush, rush, and we fold.

But Shaw isn't power, he's finesse. That's working because Shaw has become adept at finding or creating a lane. Pierre is the power game, and his yardage is anemic by comparison.

I've seen like 2 or 3 screens attempted using Shaw & Pierre, and it's a great counter to the pressing D. I definitely agree though, overall it's whether our line gives the QB time to read. None of our QBs are comfortable with reading the field quickly, but I'm hopeful that will come with time. Gotta give them more time right now, but the writing's on the wall at this point: rush, rush, rush, and we fold.

I think of the power run game as being between the tackles. Shaw has been able to do that regardless of his size.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Not working all the time or we would have scored on the goal line and probably won the game ...

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not sure about the offensive system. He was thousands miles from satisfied especially with QB situation before the season began.

He is still working on it..

Not working all the time or we would have scored on the goal line and probably won the game ...

o.k. so it's working enough to the point where our leading rusher is #6 in the country and is averaging over 7 yards per carry. if you want to point out the minority of times that it hasn't worked to somehow suggest it's not working then go for it.