• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart's offensive system

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

If he wants to run this power running/play-action pass game...he must start recruiting high-caliber offensive linemen. Pass blocking on play action plays require not only strength and skill, but technique and an understanding on who to block, especially on blitzes.

When I say "high-caliber", I mean in both physical tools as well as intelligence.

This team was recruited to run a spread type offense with a mobile quarterback and a lot of speed at receiver and running back with size not being a priority. Also, the OL are typically lighter and more mobile. Look at the weights of some of our lineman. Reiter is like 270 and Williams is like 280. Shaw is a buck eighty soaking wet.

Very few teams can run the type of offense he wants to run because you have to recruit big physical OL, which are hard to come by on the recruiting trail, along with big physical receivers and big physical running backs.

Taggart is trying to turn this team upsided down by forcing his offense with the existing personnel and we obviously see how that's working out.

He needs to adjust his offensive philosophy until he can get the personnel in here that he wants or he's gonna go down in flames.

Just who will want to come here to play

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

This is not a "play from behind" style offense.  No margin for error.  This team commits a few turnovers early and its game over.    

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Just seems like the play calling could play to our "strengths" so much better...surely Price and McFarland can catch passes off a block. Where are these TEs? Why are we trying against all odds to keep these 10+ pass plays on every drive when they almost never work??

Maybe you happened to miss the drive in the 3rd quarter where Bench went to McFarland at least three times?

No, I saw them...and McFarland was running routes. All 15+ yard passes. I'm talking short gains that build positive yardage quickly and allow a struggling offense to gain confidence and 1st downs.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

This is not a "play from behind" style offense.  No margin for error.  This team commits a few turnovers early and its game over.    

And it's hard not to commit some turnovers when our QB is getting murdered behind that group we call an offensive line.  

Just seems like the play calling could play to our "strengths" so much better...surely Price and McFarland can catch passes off a block. Where are these TEs? Why are we trying against all odds to keep these 10+ pass plays on every drive when they almost never work??

Maybe you happened to miss the drive in the 3rd quarter where Bench went to McFarland at least three times?

No, I saw them...and McFarland was running routes. All 15+ yard passes. I'm talking short gains that build positive yardage quickly and allow a struggling offense to gain confidence and 1st downs.

Right, when Bench was throwing to him.  So you saw that he went 15+ yard routes EVERY time he was on the field?  

Right, when Bench was throwing to him. So you saw that he went 15+ yard routes EVERY time he was on the field?

What's your point here? That the TEs were running short routes and Bench missed them? Spit it out.

Right, when Bench was throwing to him. So you saw that he went 15+ yard routes EVERY time he was on the field?

What's your point here? That the TEs were running short routes and Bench missed them? Spit it out.

Either he missed them or Bench wasn't looking their way.

At some point you have to put some responsibility on the players.  

Either he missed them or Bench wasn't looking their way.

At some point you have to put some responsibility on the players.

Uh, yeah, can do. Also, the play calling.

Ah, what does it matter...

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Coach Taggart needs to fire himself as our offensive coordinator. There is no intermediate or short routes, screens, slants and quick outs in this offense. It is really frustrating seeing your QB get no time to throw because our offensive line sucks and can't block for all the 10+ yards patterns. What a joke. The 2 TE power offense can be very very effective and fun to watch, you just gotta run the right plays.

Only problem is we don't seem to have an O-line that can keep our QB upright enough to throw a pass, much less complete one.