• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart's offensive system

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Only problem is we don't seem to have an O-line that can keep our QB upright enough to throw a pass, much less complete one.  

This is a major issue, but play calling can help offset a bad oline. They have not run many if any of such plays all season. Terrible job by our signal caller.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

CWT tried power running.  He tried read option.  He tired short passes.  None of it worked.  Our receivers couldn't get open.  Bench had no time, even on three step drops.  How much more tweaking do you think it will take to find the perfect offense for our, "talent".  We need linemen that can hold blocks and read blitzes.  We need receivers that can get separation and catch passes.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

His offensive style doesn't fit the talent on this team. Is CWT smart enough to play to his team's strength? Can he coach another style? Or will he jam square pegs into round holes and just pound through this mess until he has the types of players for his system?

When did I hear this before? Oh I know...2010

Little did we know in 2010 we would long for that offense.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

Just seems like the play calling could play to our "strengths" so much better...surely Price and McFarland can catch passes off a block. Where are these TEs? Why are we trying against all odds to keep these 10+ pass plays on every drive when they almost never work??

Maybe you happened to miss the drive in the 3rd quarter where Bench went to McFarland at least three times?

No, I saw them...and McFarland was running routes. All 15+ yard passes. I'm talking short gains that build positive yardage quickly and allow a struggling offense to gain confidence and 1st downs.

I expected to see a lot of 7 yard pass completions this year. When I think of west coast offense I think of Brad Johnson when he was at his best with the redskins and the first year or two with the Bucs ('99 to 02' maybe) 

He had a year with the Skins where he threw for 3000 yards 7-10 yards at a time right down the field with a lot of 2-4 yard run plays mixed in.

nothing flashy just moved the ball about 5 yards per play and don't do anything stupid like false starts or holding. that's what I expected as "boring"

I thought we had way to many pass plays last night where bench went for the big play and that designed QB run where we lined up wide for a pass was terrible.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Dink and dunk wins games. The crap we are doing isn't working. We must change the plays and adjust for our OL and WR weaknesses. I have yet to see it happen.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

CWT tried power running. He tried read option. He tired short passes. None of it worked. Our receivers couldn't get open. Bench had no time, even on three step drops. How much more tweaking do you think it will take to find the perfect offense for our, "talent". We need linemen that can hold blocks and read blitzes. We need receivers that can get separation and catch passes.

This.

We have a severe lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. There isn't a legit D-1 QB on the roster, no speed at WR, and our offensive line is a group of revolving doors in pass pro. Shaw has been the lone bright spot on offense. I think we have some talent at TE but the QBs can't find them or we aren't calling plays for them. I have to believe it's on the QBs because I watched a decent amount of WKU last year and the TE was heavily featured in the offense. This team needs an infusion of talent on offense and that will take 2-3 recruiting cycles to happen.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I'm sorry, but there just weren't many short pass calls. A few at most.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I saw several times where Bench look short first and then either went deeper or threw it away because no one was open.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I saw several times where Bench look short first and then either went deeper or threw it away because no one was open.

Then I stand corrected.