• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart's offensive system

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

If he wants to run this power running/play-action pass game...he must start recruiting high-caliber offensive linemen.  Pass blocking on play action plays require not only strength and skill, but technique and an understanding on who to block, especially on blitzes.

When I say "high-caliber", I mean in both physical tools as well as intelligence.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Wish those guys grew on trees, but they don't.  

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

If he wants to run this power running/play-action pass game...he must start recruiting high-caliber offensive linemen.  Pass blocking on play action plays require not only strength and skill, but technique and an understanding on who to block, especially on blitzes.

When I say "high-caliber", I mean in both physical tools as well as intelligence.

This team was recruited to run a spread type offense with a mobile quarterback and a lot of speed at receiver and running back with size not being a priority.  Also, the OL are typically lighter and more mobile.  Look at the weights of some of our lineman.  Reiter is like 270 and Williams is like 280.  Shaw is a buck eighty soaking wet.

Very few teams can run the type of offense he wants to run because you have to recruit big physical OL, which are hard to come by on the recruiting trail, along with big physical receivers and big physical running backs.

Taggart is trying to turn this team upsided down by forcing his offense with the existing personnel and we obviously see how that's working out. 

He needs to adjust his offensive philosophy until he can get the personnel in here that he wants or he's gonna go down in flames.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

im sad that its such a boring offense ;(

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

86, I agree that it will be an issue until he gets his guys in here. Part of why I was leery about going to a pro style offense.

However, the OL couldn't block anyone last year either. And there is no athletic quarterback on the roster even if we had not changes systems.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Bench may be serviceable as an athletic and mobile quarterback.  Taggart just has to tweak his system to fit our personnel or we are destined for 0-12.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Just seems like the play calling could play to our "strengths" so much better...surely Price and McFarland can catch passes off a block. Where are these TEs? Why are we trying against all odds to keep these 10+ pass plays on every drive when they almost never work??

Bench may be serviceable as an athletic and mobile quarterback.  Taggart just has to tweak his system to fit our personnel or we are destined for 0-12.

He's gone through three QBs now, all with different strengths and weaknesses.  I'm just hoping he hasn't already tweaked it like you said and we're seeing the best team USF has to offer right now.  

Just seems like the play calling could play to our "strengths" so much better...surely Price and McFarland can catch passes off a block. Where are these TEs? Why are we trying against all odds to keep these 10+ pass plays on every drive when they almost never work??

Maybe you happened to miss the drive in the 3rd quarter where Bench went to McFarland at least three times?  

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

His offensive style doesn't fit the talent on this team. Is CWT smart enough to play to his team's strength? Can he coach another style? Or will he jam square pegs into round holes and just pound through this mess until he has the types of players for his system?

When did I hear this before? Oh I know...2010