• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The perfect storm hit us

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Okay, even Vegas didn't see it coming.

So, what happened? Here's what happened.

1) Everything is new. When you first put together new machinery, there's a good chance it malfunctions. It did.

2) The guys had been practicing too hard --getting up at 3 a.m. for practice? I think game time was relax time.

3) Weaknesses overshadowed strengths. Plus, freebies with turnovers.

4) Too complicated! Sounds great with all the formations, etc., but maybe they don't do it in college because kids can't run it well --especially when it backfires like it did.

---------------------------------

The question now is what is at the core of this new USF team? The weaknesses aren't going to go away. But can the strengths overcome the challenges? --And do we have any strengths?

This weekend is going to answer a lot of questions.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

1) Everything is new. When you first put together new machinery, there's a good chance it malfunctions. It did.

2) The guys had been practicing too hard --getting up at 3 a.m. for practice? I think game time was relax time.

3) Weaknesses overshadowed strengths. Plus, freebies with turnovers.

4) Too complicated! Sounds great with all the formations, etc., but maybe they don't do it in college because kids can't run it well --especially when it backfires like it did.

The question now is what is at the core of this new USF team? The weaknesses aren't going to go away. But can the strengths overcome the challenges? --And do we have any strengths?

More excuses... how about the real reasons

1) Our gameplan blew

2) Our terrible gameplan wasn't executed well

3) Our players didn't take McNeese State seriously

4) Neither did our coaches

Saturday will answer a lot of questions, because there is no f'n way we were as bad as we played, were coached, and handled adversity this past weekend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Joe: you've been harping on the gameplan since Sat. Night. Got any specifics about what you would have done differently, since you obviously seem to be more tuned in than most of us?

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

there is never a reason to not only lose... but get blown our by McNeese State.

Terrible coaching, terrible play, terrible everything top to bottom

Willie Agrees

Joe: you've been harping on the gameplan since Sat. Night. Got any specifics about what you would have done differently, since you obviously seem to be more tuned in than most of us?

We, a major division I football program in a BCS conference, lost BY 32 to a solid (not great) I-AA school carrying 20 less scholarships.

The idea that some of our fans think the gameplan wasn't terrible floors me. Most of these same people were slamming Skip for losing by a single score at times. You don't have a good gameplan, go out and get schooled like we did.

There is no ONE fix, but start here.

(1) After the first few passes I probably would have taken the precision timing routes out for Floyd. He was noodle arming everything. Balls were all over the place. Whatever route it was, he was looking it off before passing. Whatever they saw in practice wasn't executed well, and they kept going to it.

(2) The defense. Soft zone? They ran it up our asses, and threw underneath from start to finish.

You going to tell me giving up 425 yards to McNeese State is a fluke? No.

Floyd wasn't "noodle arming" anything -- he was throwing quite hard all night, too hard in many cases.  However, he was telegraphing worse than Matt Grothe did when he first started.  He never did any reads -- only looked at his intended receiver.

The soft zone wasn't the problem... it was smart to start with a "keep it in front of you until we see what they can do."  The problem was the defense simply did not play their assignments... and after the score started running, the defense players started trying to take the game over selfishly.

The game PLAN wasn't the problem.  The problem was EXECUTION.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

Floyd wasn't "noodle arming" anything -- he was throwing quite hard all night, too hard in many cases.  However, he was telegraphing worse than Matt Grothe did when he first started.  He never did any reads -- only looked at his intended receiver.

The soft zone wasn't the problem... it was smart to start with a "keep it in front of you until we see what they can do."  The problem was the defense simply did not play their assignments... and after the score started running, the defense players started trying to take the game over selfishly.

Coach made that pretty clear on his radio show and in the paper ...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Coach made that pretty clear on his radio show and in the paper ...

And that's what I don't get about Joe's comments here. On another thread, he totally agreed with me when I said "blame the (execution of the) players." Yet we see none of this here.

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that our players played like garbage, while at the same time the McNeese players took what we have them + made their own plays.

This looks pretty wobbly to me..http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9622075

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

1) Everything is new. When you first put together new machinery, there's a good chance it malfunctions. It did.- Agree

2) The guys had been practicing too hard --getting up at 3 a.m. for practice? I think game time was relax time. - BS

3) Weaknesses overshadowed strengths. Plus, freebies with turnovers. - Absolutely

4) Too complicated! Sounds great with all the formations, etc., but maybe they don't do it in college because kids can't run it well --especially when it backfires like it did. - BS. WKU runs it.

IF even one player is allowed to quit on the team, again, that will be your answer.