• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The perfect storm hit us

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

From my viewpoint, Davis had no shot at those throws.

I wouldn't say "no shot," but I wouldn't say they would have been an easy catch.  I agreed with the broadcasters when they criticized his apparent lack of effort.  

Had the sound turned down when I was watching a little but the perception to me was that he didn't give any extra effort at all .... I was really surprised based on the tough ones he has made.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

From my viewpoint, Davis had no shot at those throws.

I wouldn't say "no shot," but I wouldn't say they would have been an easy catch.  I agreed with the broadcasters when they criticized his apparent lack of effort.  

Had the sound turned down when I was watching a little but the perception to me was that he didn't give any extra effort at all .... I was really surprised based on the tough ones he has made.

Exactly.  ShadowBull brings up a great point about his catches in the Nevada game.  It was so obvious in that game that Andre was really going after it.  To me, the fact he didn't speaks to a culture that needs to be rid of in order for the program to get where we all want it to.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

our team came out thinking they could just go through the motions and get a win

MCNeese came out fired up and had done this before (beating an FBS team and playing FBS teams tough) -- they knew how keep the pedal to the metal and they did so.

It didn't help that we shot ourselves in the foot repeatedly along the way

it also didn't help that our own crowd pretty much gave up on them at one point as well. McNeese brought a nice amount of fans for an FCS team and they never stopped rooting their team.

so yeah-- it was an imperfect storm for USF -- and I don't think anyone can walk away from this loss blameless (coaches, pleyers, or fans) other than McNeese State who should get kudos for doing what we used to do to teams that were favored against us.

some say we lack taent-- and perhaps they have a point that our talent levels are not what they used to be a few years ago. But that doesn't mean we have no talent. We can get it done if the team gets it collective crap together and the coaches point them in the right direction.

I pray they do so very quickly or this week will be beyond ugly

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Again, from my view point, it didn't look like he had a shot.  Also, it wasn't like he was wide open.  He had a defender on his hip.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Again, from my view point, it didn't look like he had a shot.  Also, it wasn't like he was wide open.  He had a defender on his hip.

He could avoid these types of questions by actually making a strong effort to catch the ball.  Maybe he could have gotten to it, maybe not, but when you don't try you leave yourself open to criticism.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Ok, I'm giving it one last shot.  Here is his highlight video from last year.  Look at some of those catches he made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lptINUYqS9w

Then go to espn3 and watch the McNeese effort again.  One failed attempt to catch a pass came around the 23:55 mark.  I haven't found the big play we were talking about.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The potential TD pass was around the 43 minute mark on ESPN3.  He is clearly behind the DB and AD actually pulls his arms back rather than stretch or leap or something.  Dude is a freak athlete, and we didn't see it Saturday night.

Incidentally, it's kind of cool we can replay these on ESPN3 and go to certain parts of the game.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm not arguing whether he made an effort or not, it's obvious he didn't.  All I'm saying is that I don't think it would have mattered. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm not arguing whether he made an effort or not, it's obvious he didn't.  All I'm saying is that I don't think it would have mattered. 

It would have mattered only that we wouldn't be questioning his effort right now.  No one (at least I think, anyway) likes to have their effort questioned.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It might not have, but the issue is that Andre hasn't really shown this side before, where he visibly slowed up and didn't at least try. This rabbit hole is deeper than a poorly-thrown pass, and I really hope we see a hungrier team out there in EL this Saturday.