• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

For the record, it was clear that Eveld is the better option over Floyd right now. I wasn't making an argument that their stats are similar, so, stick with Floyd at all. Just pointing out that Eveld isn't the best answer on earth either.

I'm not advocating that Floyd is the answer, but, as I reflect, I can cut the kid a little bit of slack. Many on here say that he put the defense in a bad spot and they gave up. Well, the defense and special teams didn't give him much to work with either and by the time he threw his interceptions, he was pressing, trying to make plays that weren't there.

1st drive, great.

2nd - started on the 10, punt/safety (actually did move the ball 20 yards here though and would have expected them to be starting inside the 30ish)

3rd - defense gets a pick at the 50, move the ball a bit and miss a FG

4th - moved the ball and punted (still think Davis could have caught the deep ball on this drive)

*Defense gives up 91 yard TD drive

5th - Shaw fumble at the 7

*McNeese scores TD

Right up until that point, the offense wasn't great, but, we were moving the ball a little bit and looked like most other teams that played on saturday, a little out of sync.

Again, I am not saying that Floyd is the answer, he definitely didn't look good at all, but, there were a lot of games where the offense of the big team was struggling. In those game though, the punter could punt more than 30 yards, and the defense could tackle until everything worked itself out on offense. Oklahoma had 4 punts to open the game before they got things together. We'll never know how Floyd would have played if he wasn't feeling like he had to battle back against a 1-AA team that his defense should have been able to handle.

Hindsight is 20/20, but, CWT probably should have started Eveld with the anticipation that we would have a big lead and he could bring Floyd in in the second half.

The inability of our defense to get a stop is very troublesome and causes me much more concern than the QB situation at this point.

That was the biggest shock to me. I expected Floyd to make MANY mistakes, but I was also anticipating a league dominating defense. In fact, I was telling other fans around me (at the start of the game); that the defense was going to win this game for us. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

For the record, it was clear that Eveld is the better option over Floyd right now. I wasn't making an argument that their stats are similar, so, stick with Floyd at all. Just pointing out that Eveld isn't the best answer on earth either.

I'm not advocating that Floyd is the answer, but, as I reflect, I can cut the kid a little bit of slack. Many on here say that he put the defense in a bad spot and they gave up. Well, the defense and special teams didn't give him much to work with either and by the time he threw his interceptions, he was pressing, trying to make plays that weren't there.

1st drive, great.

2nd - started on the 10, punt/safety (actually did move the ball 20 yards here though and would have expected them to be starting inside the 30ish)

4th - moved the ball and punted (still think Davis could have caught the deep ball on this drive)

*McNeese scores TD

Right up until that point, the offense wasn't great, but, we were moving the ball a little bit and looked like most other teams that played on saturday, a little out of sync.

Again, I am not saying that Floyd is the answer, he definitely didn't look good at all, but, there were a lot of games where the offense of the big team was struggling. In those game though, the punter could punt more than 30 yards, and the defense could tackle until everything worked itself out on offense. Oklahoma had 4 punts to open the game before they got things together. We'll never know how Floyd would have played if he wasn't feeling like he had to battle back against a 1-AA team that his defense should have been able to handle.

Hindsight is 20/20, but, CWT probably should have started Eveld with the anticipation that we would have a big lead and he could bring Floyd in in the second half.

The inability of our defense to get a stop is very troublesome and causes me much more concern than the QB situation at this point.

That was the biggest shock to me. I expected Floyd to make MANY mistakes, but I was also anticipating a league dominating defense. In fact, I was telling other fans around me (at the start of the game); that the defense was going to win this game for us. 

I was saying the same thing.  I thought our D would dominate and get lots of pressure on the QB.  I didn't expect to see our D-Line get manhandled.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

Greg Aumanâ€@gregauman1h

Many of you asking about Steven Bench and USF QB battle. Taggart said today Bench is "not as comfortable" with offense & has been dinged up.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

lol i bet you felt pretty **** stupid...

But I'm right there with you.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

2 running plays in one half and eveld still stuck it to them

Still stand by assessment that bench Or white will be playing be game 3

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

2 running plays in one half and eveld still stuck it to them

Still stand by assessment that bench Or white will be playing be game 4

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1st drive, great.

*McNeese scores TD

I was saying the same thing.  I thought our D would dominate and get lots of pressure on the QB.  I didn't expect to see our D-Line get manhandled.

Bingo.  And it was the entire front seven.  I wasn't surprised the offense had issues at times, but I thought the defense ought to be able to handle McNeese St.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I don't much about Bench but if he is not in the competition this week I am not optimistic.

He didn't have an entire spring with the offense and he dinged up as reported.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I'm sure SOMEone has already said it, but you guys saying Eveld is shaky and didn't show a strong arm must've been watching a game from last year. He looked so much better than last year I had to rub my eyes and take another look. He threw a couple of deep balls on a ROPE and very accurate--too bad the receivers couldn't hold on or it would have been a lot closer. He picked the team up and gave some life to that offense. I don't know how you DON'T start him, he earned it and then some--looked like a good field leader out there, so my vote is to give the guy the chance to prove he can be consistent.

Much as I like Floyd's attitude, he didn't prove he can deliver or overcome adversity. Bobby did. Bench hasn't proven anything yet, appears not to be ready.

Defense was shockingly weak at picking up on the play-sets. Might as well have had runway lights down the middle of those holes on first downs. Much work to do there.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

To be completely fair though, I would offer that Floyd faced a lot more pressure than Eveld--our O-line was killing him. It just looked like Bobby made more of the opportunities than Matt. I never saw Bobby run like he did, he was on a mission to bring that team up--good leadership, good decisions.