• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS mention - St. Pete Times

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

ohio river probably isn't mosquito riddled.

though i don't think they would invade a stadium like that

I'm no expert but I don't think moving water is the problem as it relates to mosquitoes.  So Hillsborough, Ohio, Delaware Rivers - no difference.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Standing water is actually worse but the whole point is that the Ohio River is in Ohio and the Hillsborough River is in Florida.  We have way more bugs here (and they are active for a much longer period) than up north.  Not saying a stadium on the river isn't feasible but the idea that the bug issues in Cincinnati are somehow representative of what we'd see in Tampa seems insane to me.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

The GAB is an awseome baseball park, I too was there to watch my Reds play this summer, no problem with bugs.  As for the stadium idea, it needs to be on campus or at least adjacent to the campus.  No need for USF to compromise.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Fletcher Av would probably have to be 6 laned to both Interstate interchanges before an OCS would be  allowed at USF,,,lots of other major improvements would be needed in vicinity of campus before permit to build OCS would be allowed.

You have never been to an on campus stadium at other schools.  Very few have a 6 lane highways going past their campus, and many schools have double if not triple the attendance of USF.

This is not an issue.  Sure traffic will suck, but traffic is pretty poor around RJS.  All it takes is smart traffic management to solve your issue.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

what a waste of time.

IF the Rays get a new stadium, and that is a big IF- the stadium will be in downtown Tampa. 

The fact that Crist is trying to lump the Bulls into this Rays stadium discussion is laughable.  He has these pipe dreams of developing these blighted communities and some how turning them into a pot of gold.  it aint happening.

look at BayWalk.

You hit the nail on the head.  It goes beyond Bay Walk.  Heck look at Centro Ybor.  Disaster.  Look at Channelside.  Disaster.

Look at other stadiums placed in the ghetto.  The original arena that the Miami Heat played in (Miami Arena?) was in the ghetto.  Overtown area of Miami.  Disaster.  That is why they pushed for their new arena near the water.

I believe the area of Joe Robbie Stadium/Dolphins Stadium/Pro Player Park/Land Shark Stadium/Sun Life Stadium (did I miss a name?) was a ghetto when they first built that stadium.  It was not the greatest area, but a few well placed extensions on the FL Turnpike gets people in and out of there real fast.  However, no one sticks around to spend money in that area.  It has been years since I have been down there, but I bet the surrounding neighborhood is still a ghetto.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Fletcher Av would probably have to be 6 laned to both Interstate interchanges before an OCS would be  allowed at USF,,,lots of other major improvements would be needed in vicinity of campus before permit to build OCS would be allowed.

You have never been to an on campus stadium at other schools.  Very few have a 6 lane highways going past their campus, and many schools have double if not triple the attendance of USF.

This is not an issue.  Sure traffic will suck, but traffic is pretty poor around RJS.  All it takes is smart traffic management to solve your issue.

The thing to remember is that the traffic issue is something to be handled for a few hours only,  perhaps six or seven Saturday afternoons per year. Not really that traumatic. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791

Regardless of stadium being built on campus or not...Fletcher should be 6 laned.  The improvements being done there now are just some sidewalks and bike paths for $4 million.  It'd probably cost more to 6 lane the 7 mile stretch of  Fletcher between the interstate intechanges. with costs of land acquisition, drainage etc., than the cost of building a 40,000 seat OCS at USF.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

If we're not going to be on campus or at a minimum adjacent, I'd rather stay where we are.

Agree 100%

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

Regardless of stadium being built on campus or not...Fletcher should be 6 laned.  The improvements being done there now are just some sidewalks and bike paths for $4 million.  It'd probably cost more to 6 lane the 7 mile stretch of  Fletcher between the interstate intechanges. with costs of land acquisition, drainage etc., than the cost of building a 40,000 seat OCS at USF.

With the land owners on either side of Fletcher from 30th to 56th pretty much prohibits additional expansion.