• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Veterans Ahead in Race for Starting QB Spot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

How can you guys not see that Floyd can be a very good QB? Work in practice will stop the snap fumbling. Somebody else may win out, but I would not be unhappy with Floyd as our starter.

As for only a 51% completion ratio, he was sort of thrown into the fire due to injury. What was Joe Montana's first year at Notre Dame like?

I think we will be fine at QB. Coach Willie knows the qb position and one of the guys we have should step up enough for him to be the choice.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

From all the evidence we fans have on Floyd today he is not a serviceable qb. Until he shows otherwise I am a non believer

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I've seen the same "evidence" and I see a lot of potential.  He has good vision and throws a nice ball.  Pretty good mobility as well.  While he was in last year the receivers stopped running routes and stopped trying to catch passes.  It was pretty sad, but I guess they got what they wanted.  If they pull that crap again, they'll be watching from the bench or on TV.  From the "evidence" I saw, Floyd has much more potential than Eveld if he can correct his minor flaw.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Coach Willie knows the qb position and one of the guys we have should step up enough for him to be the choice.

Can't ignore that, coach played QB and knows what he needs to see, and who needs to improve. I have confidence he'll make the best starting choice, but it's great that there's some competition at the position to accelerate learning. CWT appears to have a "fish or cut bait" mentality, so I think the cream will rise to the top soon enough.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

According to the USF Fact Book, he's listed as a true Soph, so yes he has 3 yrs and a redshirt available. IMO the optimum situation for your starting QB is his RS Junior year, he has had 3 years in the system, he knows the offense inside and out and shouldn't have to think, just do. Of course trying to convince a kid to come to your school with the distinct possibility that he won't start until his RSJ year is a different story.

The optimum situation for USF is to find the next Johnny Football.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

According to the USF Fact Book, he's listed as a true Soph, so yes he has 3 yrs and a redshirt available. IMO the optimum situation for your starting QB is his RS Junior year, he has had 3 years in the system, he knows the offense inside and out and shouldn't have to think, just do. Of course trying to convince a kid to come to your school with the distinct possibility that he won't start until his RSJ year is a different story.

No thanks, I'll take someone that will be eligible more than one season.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Completely unrealistic. If we couldn't even keep AW on the hook, we surely couldn't get an even better one when going up against storied programs. Best we can hope for is a local diamond in the rough, and polish, and polish, and....

This approach usually eliminates the premadonnas we wouldn't want.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

No heisman for USF?

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Completely unrealistic. If we couldn't even keep AW on the hook, we surely couldn't get an even better one when going up against storied programs. Best we can hope for is a local diamond in the rough, and polish, and polish, and....

This approach usually eliminates the premadonnas we wouldn't want.

Manziel was arguably just that... most of the big-time programs didn't want him at QB.  No reason we couldn't find a similar gem with someone like Quinton Flowers or another guy (although we haven't had tons of luck thus far with guys like Carlton Hill/Courtney Denson/etc.).

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

No heisman for USF?

Charlie Ward first started as a "Grey shirt" Junior, won the Heisman and a NC his Senior year. I'd rather we take that path.