• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Zebold: Veterans Ahead in Race for Starting QB Spot

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Veterans Ahead in Race for Starting QB Spot

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

VERO BEACH – Head coach Willie Taggart addressed the hottest topic at USF camp on Sunday and said what you’d expect after the first week of the four-man competition for the starting quarterback spot.

Taggart said freshman Mike White made some strides Saturday – USF’s first day in Vero  Beach – but acknowledged veterans Bobby Eveld and Matt Floyd are the early frontrunners for the job based on their understanding of the Bulls’ new pro-style offense.

"You can tell that Bobby and Matt have been exposed to the offense,” Taggart said. “They understand what we're doing a lot better than Mike and Steven (Bench). But when Steven and Mike know exactly what to do, you can see why they can be really effective. It's just a matter of learning the system and how fast they can learn the system and not be afraid to make mistakes here early.”

Taggart’s assessment comes with little surprise considering Eveld, a senior, and Floyd, a sophomore, have been working in USF’s new system since the spring. Newcomers White and Bench, a sophomore transfer from Penn State, worked with only the rookies the first three days of fall practice before getting extensive work with the team as the week progressed.

“They’re not far behind. They just need to know when things are going fast they have to understand what they’re doing,” Taggart said.

Rest of report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Floyd or Eveld as our starter means a long ass year.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

What leads you to believe Bench or the rookie wouldn't mean the same thing?

The best player will get the start.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This just proves that CWT will start the best players.  Bench may be more talented, but if he can't (and I'm not saying he can't) get a grip on the offense, he won't start.  Something tells me that he'll be the starter my the MSU game, though.

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

bench will be the starter by game 3 

if he is not  coach t is making a ig mistake orbench reallyisnt that good

floyd and eveld are not good qbs and shouldnt be playing at this level

it is astounding that in a state that produces that best football players usf has frick and frack at qb

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

What leads you to believe Bench or the rookie wouldn't mean the same thing?

The best player will get the start.

not necessarily true

back inthe day leavitt started a qb over marquel blackwell(a bad decision)

of course eventually marquel wasput in when named started failed and marquel remained the starter

for the record  SMAZZA WAS ALWAYS FOR MARQUEL

very few of these coaches can evaluate talent better than me

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,606
  • Days Won:  51

That's what I thought. If we have to depend on those guys... Well, you know. Better double up the reps for Bench or we are doomed to stink again

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Days Won:  0

It has only been one week.  Remeber Bench is has to be comfortable with new players and offense.  He will be fine. I think you will see a dramatic difference weeks 3-4.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

I really hope Bench pick it up quick. Eveld has never impressed me as a QB. He is not fast, nor does he throw the ball particularly great. But I guess as long as he can manage the offense and prevent turnovers it's better than nothing.

I just hope our defense is outstanding because I feel that is the only way we will have success this year. Please prove me wrong QB's and offense!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Did you people really think that CWT was just going to throw Bench in as starter immediately after his first practice? You've got to play this smart if your the HC. How bad would that piss off Eveld, Floyd, and their teammates who have been working all this time? You've got to play politics:

- Have your "open competition" for the spot...slowly bring Eveld from 1st team to 2nd (which he has already done) and slowly bring Bench from "competing" to 2nd then 1st string.

- Floyd will then be bumped from 1st to 2nd string and Eveld will be dropped to 3rd. All the while praising the other QB's and moving them up and down the depth chart to light a fire under Bench because all of these kids are reading these press releases. This makes him earn the starting roll rather than expecting it bc he was brought in as a transfer...even though thats why he was brought here.

Don't forget how desperate CWT was to bring in a transfer QB and how bad Eveld and Floyd were during the spring game. Bench will be #1 by the end of Vero.