• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Veterans Ahead in Race for Starting QB Spot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

We all know Bench and White are more talented, 

Based on what?

Based on mathematical logic.  5 x 0 is greater than 5 x -2.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Not sure why but my gut feeling is that Floyd leads the team this year, barring injury or fumbleitis .... Would lean toward Bench if the only thing he has over Matt & Bobby wasn't that he's not them. Like Ga said, though, I don't really care who's at qb, just be productive ...

Agreed about being productive, I don't care if we make Lamar Robbins the QB..as long as he's the best one out there.

But man I just don't see it.

We were going after grad transfer QB's with immediate playing ability before we got Bench. And even then Bench is good to go on the 31st, he's just not a grad transfer.

Why go through all that trouble for just "competition" or "depth"?

It seemed obvious that he was looking for someone THIS year. Floyd and Eveld were both so bad that he went out on a national search for another QB, and not just any QB...a QB that could play NOW. Your never going to hear him say they both aren't good enough, but if that doesn't scream "these guys are not up to the task"...nothing does.

If Bench just wanted to come here out of the blue and CWT said, "Ok sure" that's one thing...but we went on a MANHUNT.

Wouldn't this lend credence to Trip's argument that Bench's biggest advantage is that he ISN'T Eveld or Floyd?  I am hopeful that Bench turns out to be as good as as everyone here thinks he will be, but we don't have too much to base that belief on at this point.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

And maybe they haven't improved. Nobody is talking about last year (unless being asked for stats). We are talking about what we've seen so far THIS YEAR and its been "meh" at BEST from both Floyd and Eveld.

Really?  I didn't know you've been attending every practice.  How did Floyd look on Saturday?

I have, right from your mom's house to the practice field everyday

My mom passed away several years ago. 

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Floyd or Eveld as our starter means a long ass year.

Hard to argue with one TD in the last three games of 2012 with these two QB's.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

Based on what?

That's apparently the logic by some for starting him .... not a basis of talent.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Yes I suppose you're right WWMJD, but you could say that about any player we brought in to play QB.  I'd take it a step further and point out that we were also looking for a Pro-Style QB who would be familiar running a complex offense like the West Coast Power Offense. Bench is that QB.

This entire thread is speculation based upon CWT's releases (Which could just be being used as motivation), past/present performance of our current QB's (including spring practice and the spring game), and things that the local media sees and reports. I hope those who plan to head to Vero on Saturday give us a full report on what things are looking like.

I suspect by mid-week we will have a pretty good idea on who's moving up the ladder...and whos moving down or staying the same.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

And maybe they haven't improved. Nobody is talking about last year (unless being asked for stats). We are talking about what we've seen so far THIS YEAR and its been "meh" at BEST from both Floyd and Eveld.

Really?  I didn't know you've been attending every practice.  How did Floyd look on Saturday?

I have, right from your mom's house to the practice field everyday

My mom passed away several years ago. 

Any smart alec or condescending remarks made by you will be met with equal or greater smart alec-ness or condescension.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Based on what?

That's apparently the logic by some for starting him .... not a basis of talent.

Do you think Floyd and Eveld are more talented than White and Bench?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

Based on what?

Do you think Floyd and Eveld are more talented than White and Bench?

I don't know ... The only ones who are getting info to base that decision on right now are the coaches.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Here's the deal:  

Talent is natural ability to perform a certain action.  

Skill is learned and acquired ability to perform a certain action.

Bench, Floyd and Eveld obviously all have talent to play QB at the college level, and are doing so. 

What is happening now is CWT is attempting to determine which of his QBs is the most SKILLED enough to play QB for the USF Bulls on opening weekend.  That's the difference.  It's not about talent anymore.  It's about who is really grasping the offense, who has acquired the leadership intangibles needed to produce results on the field, and who knows the position of QB better.  

White and Bench may have 3x the talent of Floyd and Eveld, but if those two can't master the offense (not saying they can't, this is a hypothetical) and don't give us the best chance to win on game day, I don't want them under center.  Period.  

I want whoever is the most skilled and efficient QB to be playing QB.  We're all amateurs in deciding this, and the decision as to whom this is is best left up to the professionals like CWT.  

• Upvote 3