• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Veterans Ahead in Race for Starting QB Spot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

Did you people really think that CWT was just going to throw Bench in as starter immediately after his first practice? You've got to play this smart if your the HC. How bad would that piss off Eveld, Floyd, and their teammates who have been working all this time? You've got to play politics:

- Have your "open competition" for the spot...slowly bring Eveld from 1st team to 2nd (which he has already done) and slowly bring Bench from "competing" to 2nd then 1st string.

- Floyd will then be bumped from 1st to 2nd string and Eveld will be dropped to 3rd. All the while praising the other QB's and moving them up and down the depth chart to light a fire under Bench because all of these kids are reading these press releases. This makes him earn the starting roll rather than expecting it bc he was brought in as a transfer...even though thats why he was brought here.

Don't forget how desperate CWT was to bring in a transfer QB and how bad Eveld and Floyd were during the spring game. Bench will be #1 by the end of Vero.

Very well said, all great points. I think I'm just extremely nervous and jumping the gun on the QB situation. Seeing how helpless we were last year (offensively) after BJ went down was traumatizing. 

I just hope coach T doesn't go for "the element of surprise" and instead manage the clock well.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Other than fumbling snaps, what has Floyd done or not done to sour most of you?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Other than fumbling snaps?

Right there play is over

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Other than fumbling snaps?

Right there play is over

Not to mention his horrible completion percentage and interception count.

2012 Stats: 57-110 at 51% completion rating, 0 TD's, 5 INTs

also supposed to be a "mobile QB"

Rushing: -12 yds on 18 attempts

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This could be interesting.  It seems that Floyd is going to make it a race.  I had thought that Bench might win this by default.

I really don't have much concern about fumbling snaps.  It's pretty clear that CWT won't put up with that, so it must have been corrected.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Everyone is just assuming Bench is good though...

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I firmly believe that all this media discussion is simply Taggart playing mind games with the QBs (and other players for that matter), trying to make sure nobody gets complacent.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

I firmly believe that all this media discussion is simply Taggart playing mind games with the QBs (and other players for that matter), trying to make sure nobody gets complacent.

Agreed.  Taggart is a former QB.  He know what he wants, so I have faith he will pick someone that will give us the best chance to win.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749

Bench is only behind because he wasn't here for spring ball. He has closed the gap in 1 week and we should see him emerge from Vero as either the starter or in very tight race vs Floyd for the remainder of camp.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

This could be interesting.  It seems that Floyd is going to make it a race.  I had thought that Bench might win this by default.

I really don't have much concern about fumbling snaps.  It's pretty clear that CWT won't put up with that, so it must have been corrected.

Exactly!!