• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Michael Dyer- RB from Auburn

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

He smoked legal, synthetic marijuana. Probably 90% of college kids 18-20 (and players) are out drinking every weekend. That's technically a crime. He legally purchased a gun. How many kids from BFE Florida on our team own guns? Evan Longoria owned an AK-47 and none of his teammates have been led astray. You might not like what he did, but neither of them are a crime.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I could give a **** about the fake weed.  The involvement in an armed robbery and subsequent gun possession (after you can bet he had a talk about toting a gun around with the coach who gave him the "second chance" he wanted) is what concerned me.

I could give a **** about the fake weed. The involvement in an armed robbery and subsequent gun possession (after you can bet he had a talk about toting a gun around with the coach who gave him the "second chance" he wanted) is what concerned me.

Explain his involvement. You must have read a different report than I did. The one I read said he removed himself from the bad influence of 4 teammates.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Stupid argument. So WWMJD believes Dyer was involved knowing what the gun was going to be used for, JTrue gives Dyer the benefit of the doubt. There is no way to know if the gun was stolen from him by his "friends" or if he was in on it. People will draw their own conclusions.

Edited by Gismo

I could give a **** about the fake weed. The involvement in an armed robbery and subsequent gun possession (after you can bet he had a talk about toting a gun around with the coach who gave him the "second chance" he wanted) is what concerned me.

Explain his involvement. You must have read a different report than I did. The one I read said he removed himself from the bad influence of 4 teammates.

Dyer was hanging out with his friends, who said they wanted to go rob a house.  Dyer left and went home.  His buddy later came over and picked up the gun, although Dyer alleges that he tried to talk him out of actually using it to rob someone.  (This is from the local newspaper.)  Read that again - Dyer either gave him or let him take the gun.  He was not prosecuted - I assume because he was willing to testify against his friend. 

In addition to his issues with the criminal justice system, there have been reports of grade issues:

"In a story by Roopstigo.com which alleges NCAA violations including potential academic fraud during the Tigers' run to the 2010 national championship, Dyer was mentioned as one of 'as many as nine' Auburn players who were academically ineligible and wouldn't be able to play in the 2011 BCS Championship game.  We thought we would be without Mike Dyer because he said he was one of them, but Auburn found a way to make those dudes eligible," said former Auburn player Mike Blanc, according to roopstigo.com. (According to a Rivals.com report, Blanc denied he said it.)"

(USATODAY, 2013)

And attitude issues:

"Dyer's attitude has been an issue all year, but it appears that his actions have gotten him sidelined for at least one game. When your best player has attitude problems, and there's not enough talent surrounding him to cover for it, your team has a serious problem."

(al.com, 2011)

My point is just that you can't try to pretend the guy has kept his nose clean.

Edited by WWMJD

And as I asked many pages ago, why is Dunkley on this team and deemed ok if Dyer is a such a bad guy? Dunkley locked a girl in a closet and beat her with a cord. I don't think I saw a post from you lobbying for his dismissal when that thread was going.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

About the attitude, I can say I did not like the comments about Auburn not seeing players as human.

And as I asked many pages ago, why is Dunkley on this team and deemed ok if Dyer is a such a bad guy? Dunkley locked a girl in a closet and beat her with a cord.

Not really germane to the issue at hand - I only took issue with your statement that implied that Dyer had kept his nose clean.  I'm ok with taking guys with troubled pasts in certain circumstances, but you have to go in with your eyes wide open to the situation... burying your head in the sand helps no one.  I'll also note that I don't know that Dyer is a "bad guy".  He made some really bad decisions, and it remains to be seen if he has changed.  For his sake, I hope he has, even if he ends up at UL.

I hear you. And I don't think he's a saint. I'd say he falls in a large gray area where things could work out really well for him and his chosen team.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

He's a mixed bag, and we don't know all the details, and likely never will.  The guy got in trouble for pot, for the gun (you can't claim "no foul" if YOU don't safeguard your weapon, and let some knucklehead take your piece.  If my friend took my gun and committed a crime, you think I'd be unscathed?  Maybe if I reported it stolen before the crime).

Most wanted this guys because we hoped Taggart could keep him straight, and he would almost surely lift our team.  Lville beat us, straight up, it seems, and we have to live with these losses till our program becomes more attractive.

I can see the complaints about Dunkley, as MANY didn't want him back.  I know someone who coached the kid, and said he was a good kid, but troubled youth, like many athletes, I suppose.  I trusted Taggart to solve something he inherited, and I hope it works out.

Life without Dyer...how it was, how it is.  Now let's get some more kids on the bus, and start driving to a bowl game.