• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

IF there was a serious fund drive going on, we'd have heard about it.

Maybe not.  In my past inquiries of USF folks in charge of fundraising I have been told that before there would ever be a public fundraising effort, larger sums would be identified and committed from bigger donors.  I got a whole primer on proper fundraising.  It is not done as so many here want - opening up the jar for the $20 committments.  As far as anyone here knows, they could be in the process of lining up the 20% that will pay the 80%.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

I hope someone with influnce can tell the ones who make the decisions, that we can build a stadium that looks like our iconic U. What other school has that?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

There's already a cake mold, why not?

8e6fea5425a95e6e7292d7d35d1ba5c1.jpg

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I hope someone with influnce can tell the ones who make the decisions, that we can build a stadium that looks like our iconic U. What other school has that?

Me likey!!!

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Stadiums bring lots of issues. Look at the naming rights fiasco for FAU. First they wanted $1 mil/year. Then they dropped it and a few years later they finally got half that. And who is it with? A corporation THAT BUILDS AND RUNS PRISONS! LOL These are private prisons in the US and other countries so I guess their commercials probably involve someone getting waterboarding and safe ways to pick up soap that's been dropped in the shower. Just saying, leasing cuts out a lot of headaches and problems.

Not every school does the naming rights deal. We may have to, but even so I think we can do better than FAU. If UCF can get Bright house there is no reason we couldn't do as well- there are plenty of quality companies in Tampa. would love to find a reason to sell the rights to Lee Roy selmon's restaurant chain.

FAU was one of the last stadiums whose rights were sold. UCF's stadium was named 6 years earlier before the economy tanked (it took 2 years to find someone after the stadium was built). So yes, there is a reason USF couldn't do as well...economic uncertainty.

Did FAU sell the naming rights to their stadium? I know a private prison company (forget name) paid $6 million, but was later rescinded when it created an uproar on campus.

I worked on a team that negotiated a 10 year deal for a new NFL stadium. 10 years, 15 million dollars.

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Would love that

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

IF there was a serious fund drive going on, we'd have heard about it.

Maybe not.  In my past inquiries of USF folks in charge of fundraising I have been told that before there would ever be a public fundraising effort, larger sums would be identified and committed from bigger donors.  I got a whole primer on proper fundraising.  It is not done as so many here want - opening up the jar for the $20 committments.  As far as anyone here knows, they could be in the process of lining up the 20% that will pay the 80%.

i think this is it... we need multiple lead donors before they start going public

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

A few thoughts. While I can appreciate the OP's post, most of it seems far fetched and near fantasy.

UCH/Adventist was a recent purchase. Adventist has 30+ hospitals in the US and 30k employees plus.... USF is tiered to TGH and if you haven't seen the USF Health buildings on Davis Island, you probably are not aware. Not saying it couldn't change, but unlikely. Too much money into that relationship and has been favorable for TGH and USF. Don't see that happening.

As for fund raising. As long as we are in this thing they call AAC, there isn't the kind of draw or money to get donors to do anything. We need to focus on a real conference first, one of the Big 5, with a real TV contract, and real revenues, before we can have that conversation.

Next is the fallacy of building a stadium to save money due to our current RJS/TSA contract. So we should spend $200M+ to save a couple of million a year? I am no accountant, but seems the ROI on that one is way, way, way into the future.

As far as other improvements and changes to the USF campus. We cannot afford, given the current USF Athletics budget, donor base, and AAC revenue expectations, to afford an OCS. What makes anyone think we should spend another $3-5M reconfiguring the entire campus? Doubtful that would happen.

Not trying to pick apart the OP. I am sure you posted in good faith. But there are more holes in this plan than one can count.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

TCF bank stadium (Minnesota's) has capacity of 80k and cost 248m

UH stadium holds 40k and costs 105m

I'm using those figures to estimate a cost of 145-170m for a 55k stadium. 

More from Houston's new stadium's wikipedia page

-80% of the cost was needed just to break ground

-74% of students voted yes to a proposal to increase fees to fund. 

It should be noted that construction costs are low right now and interest rates are as well, making financing construction projects very attractive

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

TCF bank stadium (Minnesota's) has capacity of 80k and cost 248m

UH stadium holds 40k and costs 105m

I'm using those figures to estimate a cost of 145-170m for a 55k stadium. 

More from Houston's new stadium's wikipedia page

-80% of the cost was needed just to break ground

-74% of students voted yes to a proposal to increase fees to fund. 

It should be noted that construction costs are low right now and interest rates are as well, making financing construction projects very attractive

TCF Bank Stadium only holds 50,000.