• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Data, there's no way in hell he'd start over Jacoby Brissett at NC State.

It's USF (guaranteed play now) or Miss State (maybe play later...maybe)

And yet, he's taking a visit there. If he felt Brissett would start ahead of him, why would they be on the list?

What you are saying makes no sense. You think he wanted to be the starter this year as a true Sophomore then expect to lose the job next year? I don't think that could possibly be his thinking.

Mitchell choosing NC State just cemented that Bench won't be going there. Too many QBs to start ahead of him now/compete with.

He can start this year for USF and continue to start for the rest of his career unless he's beaten out by White or another recruit who's an unknown.

At Miss State he will not start this year and be in a battle to start the following year.

Don't see how that doesn't make sense. Kid left Penn State because of playing time, he wants to play.

I'm not sure why this is so complicated.  At Mississippi State he'd sit a year.  Mitchell has chosen NC State, meaning Bench would presumably sit a year.

Why are you 100% convinced that he is considering MIss St and not NC St just because Mitchell chose NC St.  The situations are identical.

Because proven players Jacoby Brissett (4 star/3rd ranked dual threat QB) and Pete Thomas (4 Star/16th ranked pro-style QB) would be much harder to beat out than

semi-proven player Dak Prescott (3*/Non ranked DT) with unproven freshman Jamil Golden (3*/Non ranked Prostyle) and Steven Swindle

They've also got incoming freshman Cord Sandberg (4*/9th ranked DT QB) and Damian Williams (3*/Non ranked DT QB)

Sounds to me that he'd have more of a shot at Miss State than at NC State, though neither offer a better chance for playing time than USF does.

PS: no need to be an ***** either

Where was I an a-hole?  Seriously, I'd like to know.  I'm just having a discussion and we disagree, how does that make me a bad person?  

All of those QBs, except Mitchell, were there when Bench first decided to visit.  Clearly he wasn't worried about them before.  Mitchell is one and done, just like Mississippi State.  If the other QBs are a problem, why did he ever consider NC State?  If one and done is a problem, why is he considering Miss State?  

That bolded text makes you sound like an *****, sir. Never said you were a bad person either.

And yes, they were all there at NCSt. But if Bench could have come in and took over the reigns this year before Brissett and Thomas had a chance to play (since they both have to sit out a year as they are transfers), he would have had a shot to keep starting. Harder to unseat a starting QB who has proven himself. Now Mitchell is taking away his only shot at doing that. Bench was also visiting NCSt before Mitchell confirmed he would transfer there to play his final season.

Miss State offers easier QB competition than NCSt does, I think we can both agree on that? If he wants to sit out a year and fight (an easier fight) to become the starting QB, then Miss State would work for him.

If he wants to come in and play immediately this year and next year fight the easiest fight with the only threat being incoming freshman 3* Mike White, USF would work.

Floyd, Eveld, mini Eveld, and the walk-on Miller will not beat out Bench.

Here ya go:

@schadjoe: So former PSU QB Steven Bench will choose between USF and Miss St which he'll visit Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Where was I an a-hole?  Seriously, I'd like to know.  I'm just having a discussion and we disagree, how does that make me a bad person?  

All of those QBs, except Mitchell, were there when Bench first decided to visit.  Clearly he wasn't worried about them before.  Mitchell is one and done, just like Mississippi State.  If the other QBs are a problem, why did he ever consider NC State?  If one and done is a problem, why is he considering Miss State?  

I don't know about this a-hole stuff but you seem to be ignoring the fact that being the QB for Noth Carolina State right away in 2013 just got taken off the table. It's not hard to see how that damages their chances of pulling him in. If you're car shopping and you're down to three cars at three different dealerships, and suddenly the Toyota dealer pulls the 2014 Camry off the table and offer you a 2014 Corolla instead for the same price...I mean yeah, a Corolla could still get you where you want to go, it's still a car, but the Toyota dealership clearly just hurt its chances of securing your business by a pretty good margin.

Yes at North Carolina State he'd have to compete with Jacoby Brissett starting in 2014 no matter what. But if he'd been starting all through 2013 already, scoring touchdowns and leading the team to victories, good luck to Brissett trying to unseat him. Possession is 9/10ths of the batte.

Edited by ckparrothead
  • Upvote 1

Here ya go:

@schadjoe: So former PSU QB Steven Bench will choose between USF and Miss St which he'll visit Tuesday/Wednesday.

Well there you have it. Clearly Mitchell committing did have a strong affect on Bench's desire to attend North Carolina State.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I get that our QB situation blows, but we're pinning our hopes on a guy who chose Rice over Georgia State before a battered Penn State made an offer.

2013 is going to be a tough season...

• Upvote 1

I get that our QB situation blows, but we're pinning our hopes on a guy who chose Rice over Georgia State before a battered Penn State made an offer.

Personally I'm not pinning any hopes on him. I think the QB transfers that could've made a difference in 2013 were Clint Trickett and Brandon Mitchell. I'm optimistic on Steven Bench if he does indeed transfer here, but also very realistic. The spring tape steers me toward realism over optimism.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

Personally I'm not pinning any hopes on him. I think the QB transfers that could've made a difference in 2013 were Clint Trickett and Brandon Mitchell. I'm optimistic on Steven Bench if he does indeed transfer here, but also very realistic. The spring tape steers me toward realism over optimism.

Agreed with above 2 posts. 

Even if Bench comes, from what I've heard, Eveld is busting his ass this offseason and Floyd is as well, and Bench may have to be a real hidden gem to be a clear and given starter. 

I can understand the skepticism...but man...did you guys see the spring game? Eveld and Floyd were terrible....

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

ckparrothead, on 21 May 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hem, on 21 May 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Here ya go:

Well there you have it. Clearly Mitchell committing did have a strong affect on Bench's desire to attend North Carolina State.

LOL, because Joe Schad knows all. And clearly in his post he says it is because Mitchell committed to NC St.

Edited by DataBull
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I can understand the skepticism...but man...did you guys see the spring game? Eveld and Floyd were terrible....

FFS, man, would you stop being so negative???

:D