• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ND just cancelled a 2014 road game with ASU. Should Doug give ASU a call?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Maybe he will again.  I think the OP's question was fair.

We all know our schedules have been lacking.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

...Has he gotten these done in recent years?

I'd like to think he had a hand in the scheduling of the Terriers....does he get points for that? 

I mean...it did get us some pub in Bleacher Report...  B)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/248672-94-reasons-why-wofford-needs-to-defeat-usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Just to mention, any school from the Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, SEC and ACC will gladly give us a one game deal in their stadium for anything from $650,000 to $1,000,000. We can play anyone in the country we want to.

If we are taking a cash road game, I would think Big 10/SEC makes much more sense (and will pay more) ... but I hope we never take another cash game, with no exceptions.

As for home and home from power conference teams ... those happen for 4 main reasons that I can think of: connections (AD's, Coaches or Administrators); a good economic balance (like USF and Kansas a couple years back ... Kansas was not in a position to pay us a $1,000,000 so they took a home and home), TV (ESPN sets up a tv event, we used to get a good home basketball game this way, it was called the Dodge Shootout ... not too long ago we got Michigan State to take a home and home with us as a C-USA team, because it put them into a good tv slot) or desperation - Like FSU was a few years back and how we hope ASU is now.

My guess is that we won't get this game, because if they want a money game, then a MWC team would be cheaper ... and if they want to sign a home and home they want a higher profile team than USF. But - if they run out of options, then you never know.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Maybe he will again.  I think the OP's question was fair.

We all know our schedules have been lacking.

Absolutely agree. I'd love to go to the Phoenix metro area. Haven't there in a long time. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

12 game schedule.

8 Conference games (4 home and 4 road)

1 Home I-AA game

1 Home BCS level opponent

1 Road BCS level opponent

1 TBD

The TBD can be home or road. In a perfect scenario it is a home game against a Sun Belt or C-USA team where we buy the game and never have to go on the road.

When it really comes down to it, all the scheduling arguments and banter come down to the TBD. Everything else is pretty much locked in. 

The other question that comes up ... since our conference is getting weaker, do we need to make that TBD a BCS level opponent in future years?

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

The ASU AD is pissed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arizona-state-ad-lashes-notre-dame-because-possible-195200543--ncaaf.html

And there being over 100 teams in FBS alone, the competition for scheduling isn't as easy as you guys make it out to be.

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Just to mention, any school from the Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, SEC and ACC will gladly give us a one game deal in their stadium for anything from $650,000 to $1,000,000. We can play anyone in the country we want to.

If we are taking a cash road game, I would think Big 10/SEC makes much more sense (and will pay more) ... but I hope we never take another cash game, with no exceptions.

As for home and home from power conference teams ... those happen for 4 main reasons that I can think of: connections (AD's, Coaches or Administrators); a good economic balance (like USF and Kansas a couple years back ... Kansas was not in a position to pay us a $1,000,000 so they took a home and home), TV (ESPN sets up a tv event, we used to get a good home basketball game this way, it was called the Dodge Shootout ... not too long ago we got Michigan State to take a home and home with us as a C-USA team, because it put them into a good tv slot) or desperation - Like FSU was a few years back and how we hope ASU is now.

My guess is that we won't get this game, because if they want a money game, then a MWC team would be cheaper ... and if they want to sign a home and home they want a higher profile team than USF. But - if they run out of options, then you never know.

Who do you think would give us a home and home? You yourself said that the examples you gave were because of extenuating circumstances. Like it or admit it or not we are currently a mid-major. Say your at a party and a hot girl walks up and says one night and one night only, would you turn her down? Any one, any where, any time, even if it's a one and done. No exceptions!

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 game schedule.

8 Conference games (4 home and 4 road)

1 Home I-AA game

1 Home BCS level opponent

1 Road BCS level opponent

1 TBD

The TBD can be home or road. In a perfect scenario it is a home game against a Sun Belt or C-USA team where we buy the game and never have to go on the road.

When it really comes down to it, all the scheduling arguments and banter come down to the TBD. Everything else is pretty much locked in. 

The other question that comes up ... since our conference is getting weaker, do we need to make that TBD a BCS level opponent in future years?

yes the last TBD should be a BCS team . we should also take off the 1-aa team and replace them with a high mid major or low bcs caliber team.

our strength of schedule will be atrocious if we keep scheduling like we have in the recent past.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Who do you think would give us a home and home? You yourself said that the examples you gave were because of extenuating circumstances. Like it or admit it or not we are currently a mid-major. Say your at a party and a hot girl walks up and says one night and one night only, would you turn her down? Any one, any where, any time, even if it's a one and done. No exceptions!

absolutely.

as a fan ,I'd rather travel and watch us play a one and done against a michigan. ohio state, texas, etc than travel to a  bowl game. much better atmosphere. much better opponent. hell I'd rather watch us play a big time one and done on tv than go to stadium to watch us play 1-aa punching bag.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Few thoughts

1.  Even if we wanted this game, It would probably be a long shot

2.  It's not necessarily true that any of the Big 5 would gladly give us a pay day game.  We've had a reputation of upsetting BCS teams on the road.

3.  While many of you may have the means to travel to any Bulls road game, most do not.

4.  It's tough to build a fan base with only a few home games and several road games, many of which wouldn't be on TV.