• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ND just cancelled a 2014 road game with ASU. Should Doug give ASU a call?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Just to mention, any school from the Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, SEC and ACC will gladly give us a one game deal in their stadium for anything from $650,000 to $1,000,000. We can play anyone in the country we want to.

If we are taking a cash road game, I would think Big 10/SEC makes much more sense (and will pay more) ... but I hope we never take another cash game, with no exceptions.

As for home and home from power conference teams ... those happen for 4 main reasons that I can think of: connections (AD's, Coaches or Administrators); a good economic balance (like USF and Kansas a couple years back ... Kansas was not in a position to pay us a $1,000,000 so they took a home and home), TV (ESPN sets up a tv event, we used to get a good home basketball game this way, it was called the Dodge Shootout ... not too long ago we got Michigan State to take a home and home with us as a C-USA team, because it put them into a good tv slot) or desperation - Like FSU was a few years back and how we hope ASU is now.

My guess is that we won't get this game, because if they want a money game, then a MWC team would be cheaper ... and if they want to sign a home and home they want a higher profile team than USF. But - if they run out of options, then you never know.

Who do you think would give us a home and home? You yourself said that the examples you gave were because of extenuating circumstances. Like it or admit it or not we are currently a mid-major. Say your at a party and a hot girl walks up and says one night and one night only, would you turn her down? Any one, any where, any time, even if it's a one and done. No exceptions!

absolutely.

as a fan ,I'd rather travel and watch us play a one and done against a michigan. ohio state, texas, etc than travel to a  bowl game. much better atmosphere. much better opponent. hell I'd rather watch us play a big time one and done on tv than go to stadium to watch us play 1-aa punching bag.

I agree, our bowl games are gonna suck hardcore in the future.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Few thoughts

1.  Even if we wanted this game, It would probably be a long shot

2.  It's not necessarily true that any of the Big 5 would gladly give us a pay day game.  We've had a reputation of upsetting BCS teams on the road.

3.  While many of you may have the means to travel to any Bulls road game, most do not.

4.  It's tough to build a fan base with only a few home games and several road games, many of which wouldn't be on TV.

we have 7 home games this year. we only need 6.

we could easily play 4 conference home games. play a home and away with 2 bcs teams(gives us 1 home game a year) and then sign a one and done and a cupcake 1-aa every  year. this gives us 6 home games per year and allows us to strengthen our schedule.

better yet schedule 4 conference home games. 3 home and away against bcs teams(even lower level such as indiana, etc). 1 one and done every other year and 1 cupcake every other year. gives us 6 home games every year and a much improved strength of schedule. more entertaining for the fans as well.

playing mcneese state(or any 1-aa game) does absolutely nothing to build our fanbase.

in fact having to pay full price for a worthless game makes me consider dropping season tickets altogether. we lack quality home opponents in the near future. if we can't get them here then we need to travel. either way filling a schedule with crappy home opponents will not build a fanbase.

please stop with the ridiculous notion that teams are afraid to play us.

any game against a power 5 bcs school will be on tv. those are the one and dones.

if you can afford to travel to a crappy bowl then you are likely able to travel to michigan, ohio or texas for what amounts to be a great game against a good opponent in a fantastic atmosphere.

like i said, I'd rather sit on my couch and watch us play michigan than got to ray jay to see us play mcneese state

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Sadly I agree with Bull94. OOC scheduling is becoming VITAL for any shot at a legit bowl game with our current conference situation. You schedule the top teams (which will most likely be on tv) any way you can. Living in NJ I had no idea who USF was until I saw them on tv.

If I remember correctly, Texas gave UCF a home and home.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just to mention, any school from the Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, SEC and ACC will gladly give us a one game deal in their stadium for anything from $650,000 to $1,000,000. We can play anyone in the country we want to.

If we are taking a cash road game, I would think Big 10/SEC makes much more sense (and will pay more) ... but I hope we never take another cash game, with no exceptions.

As for home and home from power conference teams ... those happen for 4 main reasons that I can think of: connections (AD's, Coaches or Administrators); a good economic balance (like USF and Kansas a couple years back ... Kansas was not in a position to pay us a $1,000,000 so they took a home and home), TV (ESPN sets up a tv event, we used to get a good home basketball game this way, it was called the Dodge Shootout ... not too long ago we got Michigan State to take a home and home with us as a C-USA team, because it put them into a good tv slot) or desperation - Like FSU was a few years back and how we hope ASU is now.

My guess is that we won't get this game, because if they want a money game, then a MWC team would be cheaper ... and if they want to sign a home and home they want a higher profile team than USF. But - if they run out of options, then you never know.

Who do you think would give us a home and home? You yourself said that the examples you gave were because of extenuating circumstances. Like it or admit it or not we are currently a mid-major. Say your at a party and a hot girl walks up and says one night and one night only, would you turn her down? Any one, any where, any time, even if it's a one and done. No exceptions!

I'd tell her we're doing a home and home. I'm not some tramp who's only going to let her have her way with me one time, at her place, and for $1 million.

Sadly I agree with Bull94. OOC scheduling is becoming VITAL for any shot at a legit bowl game with our current conference situation. You schedule the top teams (which will most likely be on tv) any way you can. Living in NJ I had no idea who USF was until I saw them on tv.

If I remember correctly, Texas gave UCF a home and home.

it was a 2 for 1.

UCF is getting 1 for 1's with south carolina, missouri, and penn state.

I'd tell her we're doing a home and home. I'm not some tramp who's only going to let her have her way with me one time, at her place, and for $1 million.

we make a lot more money playing on the road once for $1m than we do playing against mcneese state at home. we get a lot more national exposure too. odds are a game against michigan will be on tv while mcneese state will get a 20 second clip on local news.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Few thoughts

1.  Even if we wanted this game, It would probably be a long shot

2.  It's not necessarily true that any of the Big 5 would gladly give us a pay day game.  We've had a reputation of upsetting BCS teams on the road.

3.  While many of you may have the means to travel to any Bulls road game, most do not.

4.  It's tough to build a fan base with only a few home games and several road games, many of which wouldn't be on TV.

1. I agree.

2. I agree.

3. I am one that can't afford to travel to an away game every year.

4. If we have 6 home games that's plenty. If we play big enough opponents it will be on TV.

:2cents:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm kidding. I'd happily take the ASU game with no return. What's the downside to playing a quality opponent, likely on national TV, and exciting your fans? You know what doesn't do any of those things, McNeese State...and Memphis...and Tulane...and W. Carolina...and Indiana...and FAU...and FIU.

• Upvote 1

I'm kidding. I'd happily take the ASU game with no return. What's the downside to playing a quality opponent, likely on national TV, and exciting your fans? You know what doesn't do any of those things, McNeese State...and Memphis...and Tulane...and W. Carolina...and Indiana...and FAU...and FIU.

agreed

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Maybe he will again.  I think the OP's question was fair.

We all know our schedules have been lacking.

I assume you mean future schedules are lacking ... The last 4 or 5 years, we've had a pretty good ooc schedule haven't we, with 2 quality teams in there?