• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

I think 3-ish

Yes, it's between 3 and 4

Is there anyone out there that thinks we SHOULD get more than that? Or even a similar amount? If so, based on what? This league is worth FAR less than what it has been.

If you're saying more than the $1.8M, I agree. Based on getting between 3 and 4 before, and I'm assuming this is for football and basketball, the 1.8 seems about right. The highest profile athletic programs of the NBE are all basketball, UConn, Cincy and Memphis .... What are the other conferences getting per team?

yes we should absolutely get more than 1.8. The value of sports programming has SKYROCKETED since our last deal. There is no way this conference is less valuable than MWC.

Other conferences get 18-25 million now... PER YEAR PER SCHOOL

That's why I asked .... $1.8 seems fair based on last contract but if the other conferences are truly getting that much, 10% of theirs seems a bit low ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I knew it would be bad, but was hoping that the bottom end of the deal would have been 5 million per team.  I was quietly hoping for 10-12.

1.8 is a punch in the gut.  It's less than we pay our coaching staff.  It's so low, I'm not sure why we don't let every team keep their home TV rights and sell them ourselves.  

**** we could practically give them to Sun Sports with the caveat and bigger games get sold to the networks.

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I knew it would be bad, but was hoping that the bottom end of the deal would have been 5 million per team.  I was quietly hoping for 10-12.

1.8 is a punch in the gut.  It's less than we pay our coaching staff.  It's so low, I'm not sure why we don't let every team keep their home TV rights and sell them ourselves.  

**** we could practically give them to Sun Sports with the caveat and bigger games get sold to the networks.

1.8 should be a low enough blow for us to walk away from the whole ******* thing. Say NO to both ESPN and NBC then see where we stand for a short term deal with whoever wants some college football (or whoever wants to keep someone else from getting some college football)

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Sometimes it's better to say no.   Let's ride out this year, then see who is really serious about adding sports content.

Go Bulls!

I think we should just sign an independent reality TV contract for $15 million a year or so to start with escalations for future years that shows the team and coaches through the football and basketball seasons. Call it something like "Being Bull" that includes broadcast of the games as well as the reality/drama of the staff and players as they go through college life and the season. Pick a national cable network other than a sports one, and we would pick up tons of publicity as well as fans around the world. The new Notre Dame. Let's make our own future.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think 3-ish

Yes, it's between 3 and 4

Is there anyone out there that thinks we SHOULD get more than that? Or even a similar amount? If so, based on what? This league is worth FAR less than what it has been.

If you're saying more than the $1.8M, I agree. Based on getting between 3 and 4 before, and I'm assuming this is for football and basketball, the 1.8 seems about right. The highest profile athletic programs of the NBE are all basketball, UConn, Cincy and Memphis .... What are the other conferences getting per team?

yes we should absolutely get more than 1.8. The value of sports programming has SKYROCKETED since our last deal. There is no way this conference is less valuable than MWC.

Other conferences get 18-25 million now... PER YEAR PER SCHOOL

:FIREdevil:  advocate:

1) MWC has Boise -  who is getting the better end of their deal over their MWC counterparts by far ... who do we have?  Cincy?  Uconn?  Both pale in comparison to the national profile of Boise State.

2) Apparently there's some money in there from basketball, but why should it be higher?  WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, the C7, they're all gone.  The incoming teams are as mediocre or worse than we are.  

3) Yeah, other conferences are getting $18-25M per school - the SEC, B10, etc.  All have teams that are national title contenders on an annual basis with large fanbases at almost every school.  Who do we have that is?  

Let's be real - this conference is **** right now.  And everyone knows it.  

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Now that ESPN has matched, can NBC up their bid? Would that require the presidents to reject the deal and throw it into the open market? At this point, I'd say reject it and at least try and get NBC, CBS, ESPN bidding. It might be worth a few more bucks and it certainly can't be worth less.

it stands to reason that NBC could not up the bid, otherwise the clause would be meanigles, of no value to ESPN.

While this is true, Aresco and the presidents must agree that the deal matches BOTH monetarily and exposure-wise. If ESPN refuses to do so, then we can say no to them. As of right now, if you scroll up and read my quoted paragraph from ESPN, they have only matched monetarily.

What I'm unsure of is what happens if we say no? Do we then have to accept NBC's deal? Or can we say F Off to both and go back to the drawing board? 2013 will still be the Big East that we know for the most part. Get big money for a 1 year contract if you can.

We can choose the NBC offer, the ESPN offer, or neither offer. We are free to be without a media contract for our sports content if we want, though that would be rather silly.

We are so important to NBC that they offered money that is pocket change to ESPN. Again, is there anything that suggests that NBC would be a better network for us other than exclusivity On a network that has none of the foot traffic that ESPN's networks Have

Being important to them and being fiscally prudent are two different issues.

As I said, if the money is equal between the two offers, we are better off at NBC.

Unless ESPN dumps everything to ESPN3, I disagree, because the choice is not between ESPN and "NBC", it is between ESPN and "NBCSN", which is a whole nother ball game. Notre Dame is with "NBC", we will not be, and when it comes to cable sports broadcasting, ESPN is THE brand name while NBCSN is basically unknown.  Any ESPN station, including ESPNU, is superior to NBCSN because we will get far more exposure on the ESPN channels thanks to sports fan actually knowing what those channels are.

Even if ESPN dumps much of our content down to regional FOX Sports Networks, we will be better off, because those regional FOX networks have built up a viewership over the years. Seriously, next to internet,  NBCSN is the worst place we could be.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We are so important to NBC that they offered money that is pocket change to ESPN. Again, is there anything that suggests that NBC would be a better network for us other than exclusivity On a network that has none of the foot traffic that ESPN's networks Have

As I said, if the money is equal between the two offers, we are better off at NBC.

Unless ESPN dumps everything to ESPN3, I disagree, because the choice is not between ESPN and "NBC", it is between ESPN and "NBCSN", which is a whole nother ball game. Notre Dame is with "NBC", we will not be, and when it comes to cable sports broadcasting, ESPN is THE brand name while NBCSN is basically unknown.  Any ESPN station, including ESPNU, is superior to NBCSN because we will get far more exposure on the ESPN channels thanks to sports fan actually knowing what those channels are.

Even if ESPN dumps much of our content down to regional FOX Sports Networks, we will be better off, because those regional FOX networks have built up a viewership over the years. Seriously, next to internet,  NBCSN is the worst place we could be.

Face it, 90% of the nBE games are going to be internet-only. The question is now do we want to watch them on nbc.com or espn3.com

Face it, 90% of the nBE games are going to be internet-only. The question is now do we want to watch them on nbc.com or espn3.com

In that case, i vote for ESPN3.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

That won't happen. NBC was willing to air our games on BOTH NBC and NBCSN, as well as sell 2nd tier games to CBS I believe. ND only plays what...5-6 home games a year? Plenty of room for BE teams. Likewise, according to Joe and his research, ESPN will attempt to match a similar exposure...while nothing on ABC, we should expect to see plenty of ESPN/ESPN2/Fox Sports games with ESPN3 thrown in sparingly.