• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The same price? And they took ESPN when they would be featured on NBC? I wonder how many USF games will actually be on TV vs the internet compared to if they went with NBC. What about a counter offer from NBC?

Contact does not allow counter offer.

What kind of contract only allows 1 offer per bidder?

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Fat lady ain't sung yet...

"The conference’s presidents are expected to vote, and approve, the deal as soon as Monday."

Leave my mom out if it

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The same price? And they took ESPN when they would be featured on NBC? I wonder how many USF games will actually be on TV vs the internet compared to if they went with NBC. What about a counter offer from NBC?

The kind the Big East signs lol

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

The old contract gave ESPN the right to review and match an offer from another network. If that network were allowed to make a counter-offer after ESPN did its review and match, then the whole concept behind that review-and-match clause would be null, it would amount to a regular bidding situation, so obviously there could be no counter-offer.

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

Fat lady ain't sung yet...

"The conference’s presidents are expected to vote, and approve, the deal as soon as Monday."

Well, since their only other choice is to get paid nothing at all and have none of our football or basketball games broadcast for the next 7 years, it's pretty clear how the vote is going to go.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The old contract gave ESPN the right to review and match an offer from another network. If that network were allowed to make a counter-offer after ESPN did its review and match, then the whole concept behind that review-and-match clause would be null, it would amount to a regular bidding situation, so obviously there could be no counter-offer.

Yeah, that just sucks. What if NBC would go higher, even if its not much? Now the Big East is locked in for 7 long years. The entire process stinks. And I can't believe Fox didn't even have an offer. Or CBS. Or Telemundo.

They would be better off going with sealed bids like governments do with contractors.

Yeah, that just sucks. What if NBC would go higher, even if its not much? Now the Big East is locked in for 7 long years. The entire process stinks. And I can't believe Fox didn't even have an offer. Or CBS. Or Telemundo.

They would be better off going with sealed bids like governments do with contractors.

No doubt, if the Big East history of the last 2 years could be analogized to a battle with ESPN, then the battle ended in a 100-0 ESPN victory.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If NBC was willing to go higher, they would have.  NBC knew the situation.  They weren't willing to pay more.

If NBC was willing to go higher, they would have.  NBC knew the situation.  They weren't willing to pay more.

Yes, when you know another firm has the right to match, you make the very best offer you can because it's your only shot. NBC almost surely bid the max they thought we were worth, which obviously wasn't much.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

No doubt, if the Big East history of the last 2 years could be analogized to a battle with ESPN, then the battle ended in a 100-0 ESPN victory.

It wasn't that close because in every skirmish some of the be players were working for the opposition