• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's Official: Chuck Bresnahan, Oakland Raiders DC in 2011, named USF's DC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Remember, Gruden 100% screwed Oakland when he came here and beat OAKLAND in the Super Bowl. He knew every call, every scheme, every alignment, everything that Oakland had.

Welcome onboard the BUS, Coach!

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574
  • Days Won:  0

Rick Stroud â€ @ NFLSTROUD
Much speculation today that Cooper may pursue an opportunity on the University of South Florida coaching staff, but nothing confirmed

Ron Cooper still coming?

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Rick Stroud â€ @ NFLSTROUD

Much speculation today that Cooper may pursue an opportunity on the University of South Florida coaching staff, but nothing confirmed

Ron Cooper still coming?

Bresnahan as DC and Cooper coaching DBs. I'm liking this more and more.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

It's a huge difference in pay to go from the NFL to the college ranks. But he did get the NFL boot!

---------

A September 2009 "Los Angeles Times" article cites an unnamed NFL source stating that the average salary for NFL coordinators ranges between $450,000 and $3 million. The article adds that the average NFL defensive coordinator salary is approximately $850,000 compared to $800,000 for offensive coordinators.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

He is basically a 2nd Head Coach for the Defense.. I don't remember where I read it, but I read that CWT wanted someone with experience at DC who could basically be his 2nd HC.

Not sure if we need his recruiting.. seems like the other coaches will haul in the kids and people like Bresnahan will coach 'em up.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Welcome Coach !

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

Not excited about this hire at all...I guess we could do worse since he clearly wasn't our first choice.

I'm hoping for the best, I guess it can't get any worse than the defense we had with Cosh.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Not excited about this hire at all...I guess we could do worse since he clearly wasn't our first choice.

I'm hoping for the best, I guess it can't get any worse than the defense we had with Cosh.

We got the NFL version of Cosh.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF:

USF Football: Eight-Year NFL Coordinator Bresnahan Tabbed Defensive Coordinator at USF

Eight-Year NFL Coordinator Bresnahan Tabbed Defensive Coordinator at USF

TAMPA – The University of South Florida has hired Chuck Bresnahan to serve as defensive coordinator, head coach Willie Taggart announced on Wednesday. Bresnahan brings 26 years of coaching experience to USF and has served as a defensive coordinator for eight seasons in the NFL.

“I couldn’t be more excited about the talent and experience we’ve added to our defensive staff today,” Taggart said. “Chuck has coached at the highest levels and will bring a wealth of knowledge on the defensive side of the ball. His ability to teach the game and mentor our players will be an asset to this football team and I know he’ll be a terrific recruiter.”

Bresnahan was the defensive coordinator for the Oakland Raiders in 2011. He was also the Raiders’ defensive coordinator when they played in Super Bowl XXXVII after being hired by Jon Gruden in 1998. In total, Bresnahan served as the defensive coordinator for the Raiders in 2011 and from 2000-03. He held the same position with the Cincinnati Bengals from 2005-07.

Bresnahan spent three seasons coaching in the United Football League (UFL) as defensive coordinator for the Sacramento Mountain Lions in 2012 and as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator with the Florida Tuskers in 2009-10. He helped lead the Tuskers to the UFL Championship Game in both seasons.

While serving as defensive coordinator in Cincinnati, Bresnahan helped the Bengals capture their first division title in 17 years in 2006. In total, he spent four seasons on the Bengals coaching staff, including the final three as defensive coordinator.

Bresnahan went to Cincinnati after six successful seasons with the Oakland Raiders. He started with the Silver and Black in 1998, when Gruden took over as head coach, coaching defensive backs for two seasons (1998-99). Gruden promoted Bresnahan to defensive coordinator in 2000 and he served in that position until 2003. The Raiders won three straight AFC Western Division titles and played in Super Bowl XXXVII with Bresnahan as defensive coordinator.

Bresnahan’s NFL experience dates back to 1994, when he spent two seasons with Cleveland as linebackers/quality control coach (1994-95) and two seasons with the Indianapolis Colts as linebackers coach (1996-97).

Prior to joining the NFL coaching ranks, Bresnahan was defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at the University of Maine from 1992-93. From 1988-91, he was an assistant at Georgia Tech, handling tight ends in his first season, then moving to inside linebackers for the final three seasons. During his stint at Georgia Tech, the school earned a share of the 1990 National Championship.

Before joining the coaching ranks as a graduate assistant in 1983 for the Naval Academy, Bresnahan was a three-year letterman for the Midshipmen, where he helped claim three Commander-in-Chief Trophies and played in two bowl games (Garden State Bowl and Liberty Bowl). He served as a commissioned officer from 1984-86 before coaching wide receivers/tight ends and special teams at Navy from 1986-87.

Bresnahan comes from a football lineage. His father, Tom, served in the NFL for 17 years and is one of the most respected offensive line coaches in league history. He was a member of Marv Levy’s Buffalo Bills staff that went to four consecutive Super Bowls.

Bresnahan and his wife, Erin, have four daughters: Megan, Caitlin, Caroline and Danielle.

Coaching Experience

1983: Navy (Graduate Assistant)

1986-87: Navy (Wide Receivers/Tight Ends/Special Teams)

1988: Georgia Tech (Tight Ends)

1989-91: Georgia Tech (Inside Linebackers)

1992-93: Maine (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)

1994-95: Cleveland Browns (Linebackers/Quality Control)

1996-97: Indianapolis Colts (Linebackers)

1998-99: Oakland Raiders (Defensive Backs)

2000-03: Oakland Raiders (Defensive Coordinator)

2004: Cincinnati Bengals (Defensive Assistant)

2005-07: Cincinnati Bengals (Defensive Coordinator)

2009: Florida Tuskers (Linebackers)

2010: Florida Tuskers (Defensive Coordinator)

2011: Oakland Raiders (Defensive Coordinator)

2012: Sacramento Mountain Lions (Defensive Coordinator)

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Not impressed. What's he gonna lead with, "When I was coaching in the NFL when you were in middle school..."

Hopefully he's ready to recruit...