• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Group plans $400 million stadium to lure Major League Soccer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

If our conference and financial future were more certain, I would say this had a slight chance of happening... but, otherwise I don't see it.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

This is ******* ridiculous. If anything, Tampa needs to get rid of 1 or 2 pro teams (Rays), not dilute the pool even more with fans who don't give a ****. Horrible decision and gigantic waste of money if this plan follows through. I didn't read the article, but I hope there isn't a penny of tax payers money going towards this.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

This is ******* ridiculous. If anything, Tampa needs to get rid of 1 or 2 pro teams (Rays), not dilute the pool even more with fans who don't give a ****. Horrible decision and gigantic waste of money if this plan follows through. I didn't read the article, but I hope there isn't a penny of tax payers money going towards this.

I pretty much agree with this. I hope Orlando gets the team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442

I pretty much agree with this. I hope Orlando gets the team.

I don't disagree.... but this isn't them asking for public money... yet.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Wow. This thread is full of misinformation.

There are lots of soccer fans in the US. Plenty of people that won't walk across the street to watch a football game love to watch soccer. Evidence the fight over TV rights between Fox and ESPN for European soccer.

The NASL was successful but brought in too many high priced players too quickly. The MLS that replaced it got off to a slow start by expanding too rapidly. They backed off and did things right, and now the MLS is in a steady growth mode with a proven process to introduce new teams.

The speech by the MLS Commissioner clearly stated that there are several possible areas for expansion, but no one will get expansion without a stadium. The MLS is dying to get back into Florida, and the three obvious locations are Tampa, Miami and Orlando. Reading between the lines, whoever gets a SSS is the likely winner. Atlanta, Minnesota and a second team in New York are also high on the list, but none has solved ownership and/or stadium issues.

The key here is PRI, as they are the guys charged with finding the money. Ironically, they are located in Orlando. There are rumors that Vinik is tied into this thing, and he has land near the Forum that looks promising. Vinik is on the board of a European soccer club, so this is an area he would have interest in.

If this group can get their hands on the money, Tampa shoots to the top of the list. I'd love to see them grab the Rowdies name, but that is another discussion for another day.

Waiting for Dec 11.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442

I hadn't heard Vinik was involved.... that's a game changer.... plus he owns all that land just north of the Forum. To heck with the Rays... if they put a SSS there that would be bad ass.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I hadn't heard Vinik was involved.... that's a game changer.... plus he owns all that land just north of the Forum. To heck with the Rays... if they put a SSS there that would be bad ass.

That is the rumor. Actually, I think it is more than a rumor but I don't know that I can link to anything right now for confirmation. He is on the Liverpool BOD.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Soccer vs Football: Soccer tickets don't require a second mortgage to sit in the stadium.

Soccer vs Baseball: Too many games. The "national pastime", has passed.

Soccer vs Hockey: Donald Fehr

Soccer vs Basketball: Too many games, prices are for the most part very high.

Kids may stop playing at 13-17, but those kids grow up to be adult soccer fans, who will get up at 6:30 AM on a Saturday to watch a Premier Legaue match. They also have kids. Just because you stop playing doesn't mean you stop loving the sport. Soccer fans are more passionate than most other fans. 23,971 fans in a driving rainstorm at Ray Jay to see a sure win by our US National Team. There is an audience for soccer in the bay area.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

A soccer stadium would be too wide to make a good football venue.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

A soccer stadium would be too wide to make a good football venue.

Go Bulls!

Retractable seating.