• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Group plans $400 million stadium to lure Major League Soccer

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I really wish people would read the article and visit their website before forming an opinion.

1. The new stadium will only be a soccer specific stadium. MLS has made it clear that any expansion franchise will have to have a SSS. If you look at the recent stadiums and expansion franchises for the MLS this is quite evident.

2. The SSS they are designing starts at 28k for the pro team... it's also being build to be expandable to 40k+ if they can secure a MLS expansion.

USF will not be playing in this stadium.

Dude, this is USF Bulls board for crying out loud, not an appellate argument. I haven't researched every angle. Don't have time for that, unlike you (apparently). But conceptually it makes more sense to share such large facilities that sit unused for most of the year. Soccer would occur in the summer, CFB in the fall. If that's MLS' position that it MUST be a SSS, fair enough, but I remember last year lots of talk about Villanova possibly sharing a new stadium with the Philly soccer team. If MLS doesn't allow, as a matter of practice, shared use of their stadiums, then why would that even be a possibility? More likely there's greater flexibility than you suggest (based upon your online research of their web site).

MLS killed the Nova deal... thats how serious they are about SSS.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

http://www2.tbo.com/...400m-ar-578282/

Mitchell's group has invited local political and business leaders to the Tampa Club, atop the Bank of America building downtown, for the official unveiling of VSI Tampa's plan — a 28,888-seat stadium with a retractable roof, a $50 million soccer academy and a $250 million sports medicine center.

^^ Maybe we need to get in on this deal and split a 50-50 deal with them for this stadium

6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg

Soccer is NEVER going to take off in this nation... let alone in Tampa.

Its obvious that these people must be working for the Joker since they have money to burn on this crap. They also must not understand how to read because RayJay was built to accommodate major league soccer.

With that said, since these people are obviously fools USF should approach them and see if they will build it on our campus so our soccer team can benefit from it, and make it so that the stadium can be easily changed over for real football. would be a cheap and easy way to get an OCS for football.

Of course we would need more then 28K in seating... I think 40K should do the trick.

How do you even function sometimes?

1. WE HAVE A SOCCER SPECIFIC STADIUM ON CAMPUS THAT IS PERFECT FOR WHAT WE NEED. It's considered one of the best in the country.

2. I have some people in Portland, Seattle and New York that you need to talk to. If you don't think an MLS team can succeed here with the right setup you're uneducated or delusional.

1. We do have a soccer stadium on campus, but imagine having this thing on campus vs. the small one we have. Which one would be better in the long run? Also like TallyBull stated Nova nearly worked out a similar deal with Philly's MLS soccer team to play in their stadium, the deal feel through because it did not have enough seats. If Doug and Judy were to work something out with this group, and assuming they have funding to the 28K stadium, then I'm sure that USF could pony up the other half for a 40K seat expansion and bam we would have an OCS. But if they don't want to share their facility then that is there prerogative.

2. You made my point for me by bringing up New York, Seattle, and Portland. Tampa is a quasi-southern town and soccer has been tried here before and has failed every single time.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

http://www2.tbo.com/...400m-ar-578282/

Mitchell's group has invited local political and business leaders to the Tampa Club, atop the Bank of America building downtown, for the official unveiling of VSI Tampa's plan — a 28,888-seat stadium with a retractable roof, a $50 million soccer academy and a $250 million sports medicine center.

^^ Maybe we need to get in on this deal and split a 50-50 deal with them for this stadium

6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg

Soccer is NEVER going to take off in this nation... let alone in Tampa.

Its obvious that these people must be working for the Joker since they have money to burn on this crap. They also must not understand how to read because RayJay was built to accommodate major league soccer.

With that said, since these people are obviously fools USF should approach them and see if they will build it on our campus so our soccer team can benefit from it, and make it so that the stadium can be easily changed over for real football. would be a cheap and easy way to get an OCS for football.

Of course we would need more then 28K in seating... I think 40K should do the trick.

How do you even function sometimes?

1. WE HAVE A SOCCER SPECIFIC STADIUM ON CAMPUS THAT IS PERFECT FOR WHAT WE NEED. It's considered one of the best in the country.

2. I have some people in Portland, Seattle and New York that you need to talk to. If you don't think an MLS team can succeed here with the right setup you're uneducated or delusional.

1. We do have a soccer stadium on campus, but imagine having this thing on campus vs. the small one we have. Which one would be better in the long run? Also like TallyBull stated Nova nearly worked out a similar deal with Philly's MLS soccer team to play in their stadium, the deal feel through because it did not have enough seats. If Doug and Judy were to work something out with this group, and assuming they have funding to the 28K stadium, then I'm sure that USF could pony up the other half for a 40K seat expansion and bam we would have an OCS. But if they don't want to share their facility then that is there prerogative.

2. You made my point for me by bringing up New York, Seattle, and Portland. Tampa is a quasi-southern town and soccer has been tried here before and has failed every single time.

My point exactly. Why is it some folks on the board think that even talking about the possibility is a bad idea? If it doesn't work for both sides (due to the need for a SSS, or another location, or funding arrangements, etc.), fine. But at least you explored the possibility.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I play soccer, and while there is a gap and drop off in high school aged kids (unless they're playing for the high school), the leagues I play in with Tampa Club Sport are pretty jam packed with people, and a majority of them are people who go to places like MacDinton's and other pubs to watch European soccer. It obviously lives in the shadow of football and baseball, but it's still a popular sport.

Soccer is a different type of spectator sport. If you've seen the Goalmouths, you know. The game is essentially nonstop, but there are times when it is "slow". But fans are usually more engaged in chants and revelry while they watch the game, which beats having 50 commercial breaks or periods where music is piped in and ads are blasted over a PA system.

While it would be nice to have in Tampa, I think MLS would be better off in Orlando. Orlando City draws well, and there's a decent soccer following over there as well. Being all they have is UCF, the Magic (who suck now), and the Predators (yawn), and MLS is a great outfit to occupy the Citrus Bowl that is being renovated. Granted, that may be a little too big, but it could be soccer specific, minus maybe the technicality for the two bowl games they play (UCF won't ever play there again unless it's Florida or something where they have to fit 70K in it). I think Orlando has the space and can build a 20-30K soccer stadium as well.

Not sure why Tampa's plan calls for a retractable roof - I'm assuming for lightning purposes, as soccer is played in rain all the time. (And MLS does stretch through late summer and fall so that makes sense to keep games from being lightning'ed out).

I don't think USF needs to be involved (agreeing with smazza, lol wtf) in this....other than maybe talking to the investors to work with USF for an OCS if the MLS thing goes to Orlando. Reading some of the comments, people here seem to want to entertain the idea of having a smaller off-campus stadium....say whaaaaaaat. No one even knows where it would be yet.

I agree that Orlando would probably be a better location for the MLS team.... City has already done the leg work so they know what they'd need to move up. Again though, they're hitting the same issue... MLS won't let them play in the Citrus Bowl... they had financing lined up for a SSS but Orlando turned down leasing the team the land so it fell thru.

It's pretty much looking like whoever gets a SSS first will get the franchise.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think that Orlando City can be promoted 2 divisions. Not sure tho.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044

They're not a bad team. Hell they beat New Castle United from the EPL last year in a friendly.

All the MLS would care about is the SSS and the attendance.

They've already had negotiations with MLS on a possible move. Apparently all parties are ok with that part of it.

I wonder why ATL isn't getting in on this? They have a SSS already that can be expanded and a pretty good NASL Team.

Edited by Southshore26

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

nobody gives a $h!t about soccer in the United States, when are these people going to get that?

And while I agree RayJ's 67k is presently too much for us, 28k is way too small.

you are highly confused. I'd love an MLS franchise in Tampa.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044

They've already had negotiations with MLS on a possible move. Apparently all parties are ok with that part of it.

The MLS desperately needs a team in the SE. Even Team USA comes to Tampa to play games. There are fans in Tampa/Orlando. The only SEC state with an MLS team is Texas.

I believe the owner of Orlando City tried to get a club from Texas in the MLS, but when Houston joined the league he set his sites on his next best bet and that was a team in the south East. So he started the team in Orlando. His sole goal in starting the team was to make a run at the MLS.