• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Execution vs. Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

execution goes back to coaching to a certain degree

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

It seems like our defensive play calling was soft. No, real blitz packages, so Nova had all day to throw the ball. Also, the middle of the field was open all game for Rutgers. Every game we played this season, our opponents had a really high 3rd and 4th down conversion percentage against us.

Our offense struggles with the easy pass due to multiple reasons: BJ's inconsistencies on mid-range passes, the O-lines lack of blocking at times (BJ holding the ball too long doesn't help) and we can't establish a run game to open up the pass game. I think our coaches are to blame for not coming up with a good offensive game plan. They had spurts of drives against Rutgers in the 2nd half, but where is that at the beginning of the game? We only established about 1.5 drives that entire game. The rest was throwing bombs and/or 3 and outs.

Why are we still not ready to snap the ball before the play clock runs out? Why are we having special teams mishaps, with 5 coaches overseeing ST's? This does not add up to a team that will be ready to win a conference. The record at the end of this season will tell us a lot about our coaching staff. I'll have to wait and see...

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

It seems like our defensive play calling was soft. No, real blitz packages, so Nova had all day to throw the ball. Also, the middle of the field was open all game for Rutgers. Every game we played this season, our opponents had a really high 3rd and 4th down conversion percentage against us.

Our offense struggles with the easy pass due to multiple reasons: BJ's inconsistencies on mid-range passes, the O-lines lack of blocking at times (BJ holding the ball too long doesn't help) and we can't establish a run game to open up the pass game. I think our coaches are to blame for not coming up with a good offensive game plan. They had spurts of drives against Rutgers in the 2nd half, but where is that at the beginning of the game? We only established about 1.5 drives that entire game. The rest was throwing bombs and/or 3 and outs.

Why are we still not ready to snap the ball before the play clock runs out? Why are we having special teams mishaps, with 5 coaches overseeing ST's? This does not add up to a team that will be ready to win a conference. The record at the end of this season will tell us a lot about our coaching staff. I'll have to wait and see...

Rutgers converted 3rd and 6+ yds 7 times yesterday (5 of those times being 10+ yds). You can't allow an opposing offense that many chances while keeping your D on the field for a new set of downs and expect to win too many games. We had the same problem last year, and a new D-Coord hasn't seemed to fix that.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Rutgers converted 3rd and 6+ yds 7 times yesterday (5 of those times being 10+ yds). You can't allow an opposing offense that many chances while keeping your D on the field for a new set of downs and expect to win too many games. We had the same problem last year, and a new D-Coord hasn't seemed to fix that.

If D-Coordinator can't fix it, the philosophy must be coming from the top

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Plenty on the coaching in here too. Where was the WR bubble screen all game? Easy throw for BJ that gets the ball out in open field away from the blitzing. I believe we ran one all night and it went for a first down with Hopkins (even though he fumbled out of bounds on it).

Do we not have any type of misdirection in our playbook? No backside flip for a RB sweep? No end arounds? Anything that might make them pay?

Why did it take to near the end of the 3rd quarter for the staff to realize that running Lamar/Murray right up the middle on nearly every first down wasn't working? Why didn't we go to a hurray up/spread sooner?

And in general, what the hell is our identity on offense?

Sorry, still too frustrated to get my thoughts together cohesively.

I said DON'T RUN" on the very first play of the game and sure enough they run and lose 4 yards. After screaming the whole first half to not run on first down the guys in front of us started yelling it by the second quarter

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Defense did a good job on Jamison most of the game. You take away his 41 yard TD run and he had like 39 carries for about 111. Not a very good ypc. <3

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Defense did a good job on Jamison most of the game. You take away his 41 yard TD run and he had like 39 carries for about 111. Not a very good ypc. <3

But when it it 3rd and six plus, Nova had all night to throw

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I was surprised when I saw the numbers. I thought they were gashing us up the middle all game.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I was surprised when I saw the numbers. I thought they were gashing us up the middle all game.

I didn't have any clue the ypc would be as low as it was even including the long TD. The run D was a lot better than I think a lot of people felt because they ran a million times and dominated time of possession because they'd convert every 3rd down they faced.