• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Execution vs. Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

This team simply isn't very good. That is probably the fault of the coaching staff in failing to adequately recruit talent and fill holes, but on a day-to-day game planning they have to plan for what they have. Rutgers was ripe for screen plays, but BJ can't manage to throw a 5 yard pass except as an absolute rocket and 3' behind the reciever! The offensive and defensive lines are completely man handled. There aren't many plays that you can call to help an inferior team win!

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i disagree i think this time we actually have a good team

Both those interceptions, especially Murrays, show the same thing we have seen for three years,Bj cannot throw the short or intermediate pass.....u dont throw the ball 60 miles an hour on a screen pass

Especially if you are going to throw it behind the guy! BJ obviously doesn't deal with pressure well (a reason I expect he will see it the rest of the season). Hopefully it is an opportunity for him to grow. He is ellusive and brilliant when we get him out in space.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

This team simply isn't very good. That is probably the fault of the coaching staff in failing to adequately recruit talent and fill holes, but on a day-to-day game planning they have to plan for what they have. Rutgers was ripe for screen plays, but BJ can't manage to throw a 5 yard pass except as an absolute rocket and 3' behind the reciever! The offensive and defensive lines are completely man handled. There aren't many plays that you can call to help an inferior team win!

I'm sticking up for the O-line in this game. Very tough to pass protect or run block when you're facing blitzes almost every down. QB to WR, going both ways, was the biggest offensive problem of the night.

You must have watched a different offensive and defensive line than I saw today. It was like watching a pop-warner team play a high school team! Our guys consistently just got blown off the line. I am not sure we laid a hand on Rutger's QB all night! BJ rarely had sufficient protection unless Rutgers was in an absolute prevent defense.

i should have said good players

not a good team

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

both were terrible

skips the head man. its his fault.

Agreed! And like I told my wife tonight, when teams don't reach potential, coaches get fired, it's on them!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You must have watched a different offensive and defensive line than I saw today. It was like watching a pop-warner team play a high school team! Our guys consistently just got blown off the line. I am not sure we laid a hand on Rutger's QB all night! BJ rarely had sufficient protection unless Rutgers was in an absolute prevent defense.

When was Rutgers in a prevent defense?

Answer - maybe 2-3 times, max. Otherwise it was stack-and-blitz.

Not much I can say good about the defense, though.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Obviously in a loss, fans are going to blame the coach first.

I don't believe Fitch and Holtz called the best offensive plays at all. On defense, DBs are still playing too far off the line, LBs are still dropping into coverage too much and still the middle of the field gets exploited constantly. Chris Cosh hasn't figured that out yet.

Tonight, however:

Two of BJ's picks were not on him - one is on Lindsey Lamar (I believe) and one is on Landi. Both balls to them should have been caught ... they weren't ... and they got picked.

BJ missed a lot of throws.

Andre Davis, brilliant as he is, missed a perfect throw near the end of the 1st half that could have possibly set up some points.

T-rex put the ball on the ground on a punt return.

Defense pretty much ignored the middle of the field and Rutgers exploited it (Corey Grissom played a great game though, he is a force).

We should have had a couple picks on D.

-----------

Bottom line is execution is as much to blame as coaching tonight - if not more. We had opportunities to win this game and we squandered them.

Where do we draw the line and blame execution as much or more than coaching? Do we even think of blaming poor execution on the part of the players? If not, why not? I can't think of a time on this board, ever, where the play of the players was really scrutinized - blaming the coaches is the default reaction of the majority.

The 2 picks he had were not all on BJ but there were several other passes that should have been picked.

and we didn't do **** to the rutgers QB....

chris cosh running some patty cake defense with all the nickel crap. We should have blitzed the living hell out of GARY NOVA. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that Nova is garbage and we need to pressure him