• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AA's look on USF's Power Ranking.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Last year, Nevada kicks a fg to win. Bank it.

You can thank #44 for dropping that easy pass. He would have had another 20 upfield and then would have been well within FG range.

Somehow, though, it's Chris Ault's fault.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Did WVU play almost similar to pistol offense with Pat White? If so, my concern is that our coaches' capable to make some adjustments.

When you're getting outplayed, like we were early in that game on defense, all the adjustments in the world aren't going to help you .... unless by adjustments you mean try playing with 13.

I think we only had 10 guys on the field when they fumbled at the 1.

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Last year, Nevada kicks a fg to win. Bank it.

This.

You are all ridiculous...

We won...it was dirty...our defense gave up alot to begin the game then "clamped down" to the tune of only giving up a field goal and TD for the next three quarters.

Could Wally Burnham NOT let us get down by 3 scores in the first quarter? Maybe.

Is Nevada typically a team that scores in bunches and contends for their conference championship every year, with Boise btw? YES

I think we need to put that game behind us. It was in RENO, the players were gassed for most of the game for multiple reasons(flight, altitude, fajardo). We STILL WON...even attempting 3 Two Point conversions and missing an XP.

We could have won that game by 35-31...lol

The fact is we scored over 30 on the road to a team like Nevada...and held them close as well.

Rutgers can barely score 20 points on an FCS team...and Tulane!!! I think we'll be fine in this game...unless we're tired. I'm slowly getting my confidence back about my bulls. Its gonna take a convincing...and when i say convincing, i mean CONVINCING WIN against Rutgers on thursday to get me to really believe that this team can make a run.

GO BULLS!!!

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

On Saturday I was cursing the D, but when I calmed down and thought about it through my coaching eyes, the pistol offense is a tough offense to prepare for in a week. Its very similar to the option, with the QB reading our end. We had to be very disciplined in our assignments to shut them down, which I didn't think we were, most of the game. That comes from kids wanting to make the play rather than just do their job. Frustrating as a coach when that happens. However, the D came up with stops when we needed them, and got our O the ball to give us a chance. Overall, glad to get out of their with a W, now lets start 1-0 in BE play.

WV has run a variation of the "pistol" for years and we were able to prepare for them every season... not sure why USF did not connect the dots that Nevada's offense is just a poor man's WV.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

WV ran a spread, not the pistol. Also, WV and Pat White could not throw the ball with much skill. The Pistol is MUCH more difficult to defend than those WV offenses, especially since Nevada can pass AND run.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894

Im the first to admit..I'll always say until our defense proves it they always get shredded. Usually its in the intermediate pass game and on third downs. I just think its funny you guys try to compare stopping wvu as the standard. WVU was pretty one dimensional and we one of the best defenses in the country that year. None of those players remain, or the coaches, and from what I remember it was mentioned at that time we were beating wvu we had some keys on their offense on what they were going to run. Nevada is much more of a passing threat than wvu was when we were beating them. WVU now is much more of a passing threat than they used to be which is why they would kick our butts this year.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

Stats are funny things, when you break them down they sometimes tell a different story. Nevada had 208 yds in the 1st quarter, quarters 2 through 4: 347 (according to the stats on espn.) USF through 1 had 135 yds, 2 through 4: 430. After the 1st quarter, our "swiss cheese" defense clamped down quite a bit. It all depends on how you look at it. Also, instead of painting a negative picture, we could paint the we never gave up on each other, and we showed that we have what it takes to win the last minute games, something that we didn't have last year. It's all about perspective.

I agree there are positive take aways. but is writing 25% of the game off the same as breaking down the stats? why should AA have the perspective that only the 3 quarters we won matter? our coaches and players can't afford to shrug it off, they've got to look at the deficiencies and work on those things.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

WV has run a variation of the "pistol" for years and we were able to prepare for them every season... not sure why USF did not connect the dots that Nevada's offense is just a poor man's WV.

Totally wrong.

WVU runs the spread (as someone already mentioned) with the RB being right next to the QB for the read option.

Nevada's offense was never in that type of formation and the read option play is tougher to defend with the RB coming from behind the QB.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  125

Stats are funny things, when you break them down they sometimes tell a different story. Nevada had 208 yds in the 1st quarter, quarters 2 through 4: 347 (according to the stats on espn.) USF through 1 had 135 yds, 2 through 4: 430. After the 1st quarter, our "swiss cheese" defense clamped down quite a bit. It all depends on how you look at it. Also, instead of painting a negative picture, we could paint the we never gave up on each other, and we showed that we have what it takes to win the last minute games, something that we didn't have last year. It's all about perspective.

Even if USF only gave up 347 yards in the last three quarters, that's equal to giving up 463 yards through four quarters. So, yes even if you throw out the first quarter and back calculate the yardage allowed in the other three quarters, our defense is still swiss cheese.

At this point, to me, it looks like we have the same defense we had last year. Louisville and Cincy are going to shred us, but if our offense can play mistake free football we'll stay in the game.

Rutgers has no offense, so our D should hold them. It's just a matter of can our offense break through their D? Same will go for UConn. We are the same team as last year with better WRs.

Spot on. The defense looked exactly like it did last year. Middle of the line crumbled...LBs unable to fight off blocks....and our secondary out of position on numerous plays. Unfortunately, I disagree that we'll hold Rutger's O. I easily see them putting up 30. Greg tweeted the other day that while Rutger's defense was on the field for 60 plays in their game, our defense was on the field for 90. These guys will be gassed by the second half. I hope our offense brings 40+ points in this game....

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  100

just watch... AA is gonna pick USF over Rutgers once again thus dooming USF to lose... :roflmao: