• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Robert Davis falling in love with USF, waiting to be loved back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

It's not just speed with Davis.

You have to qualify kinds of speed. There's build-up speed and then there's football speed. You've seen plenty of guys that have slow build-up speed (not a fast 40) but have great quickness, acceleration, COD, gear change, etc. This guy has all the quickness, acceleration and gear change, and it's why he also has good build-up speed. He's unique.

Like I said his 100 meter times are actually not all that exciting. I hate to say that about a 10.9 in the 100 meters because all told that's pretty **** fast, but you see guys with the same 40 times (or worse) that have better 100 meters times. Cordarrelle Patterson might not run better than a 4.43 at the Combine but his best 100 meters is 10.3 seconds, and that's a guy that I feel has unique COD, acceleration and agility. The last bit of news I read on Robert Davis' last track meet said he ran his 100 meters in something like 11.4 seconds. Downright pedestrian compared with his 4.28 (low) to 4.37 (high) speed on the 40 yard dash. The reason a lot of guys run faster 100 meters times but slower 40's is because of their transition. They're building up their speed, kicking into 4th and 5th gear at a distance when the 40 yard dash would be nearly over already. Robert Davis peaks earlier, though he's still able to keep his speed up enough in transition to come out with a pretty good 100 meters.

In short, he's even faster in a football sense than he is in a track sense.

But you have to notice the little things. The way he sits, plants and explodes on his cuts. His pad level (which is about the lowest you'll see). His balance (which was what seemed to improve tremendously from 2011 to 2012 even though it was already good in 2011). His vision. How quickly he thinks on the move. His willingness to use his blockers.

Like I said, there's a reason two high quality RB Coaches turned Head Coaches are offering him...even though he played against poor competition and has terrible size measurements.

My biggest concern transitioning to the college scene where everything is bigger, stronger and faster...would be fumbles. He's a small guy. The football is bigger and harder to keep hold of for a smaller guy. He had some fumbles this year from what I can tell though I think he only lost one of them. It's something to keep an eye on. He will need to work on ball security first and foremost in order to earn the coaching staff's trust. Once that happens, he should excel.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

It's not just speed with Davis.

You have to qualify kinds of speed. There's build-up speed and then there's football speed. You've seen plenty of guys that have slow build-up speed (not a fast 40) but have great quickness, acceleration, COD, gear change, etc. This guy has all the quickness, acceleration and gear change, and it's why he also has good build-up speed. He's unique.

Like I said his 100 meter times are actually not all that exciting. I hate to say that about a 10.9 in the 100 meters because all told that's pretty **** fast, but you see guys with the same 40 times (or worse) that have better 100 meters times. Cordarrelle Patterson might not run better than a 4.43 at the Combine but his best 100 meters is 10.3 seconds, and that's a guy that I feel has unique COD, acceleration and agility. The last bit of news I read on Robert Davis' last track meet said he ran his 100 meters in something like 11.4 seconds. Downright pedestrian compared with his 4.28 (low) to 4.37 (high) speed on the 40 yard dash. The reason a lot of guys run faster 100 meters times but slower 40's is because of their transition. They're building up their speed, kicking into 4th and 5th gear at a distance when the 40 yard dash would be nearly over already. Robert Davis peaks earlier, though he's still able to keep his speed up enough in transition to come out with a pretty good 100 meters.

In short, he's even faster in a football sense than he is in a track sense.

But you have to notice the little things. The way he sits, plants and explodes on his cuts. His pad level (which is about the lowest you'll see). His balance (which was what seemed to improve tremendously from 2011 to 2012 even though it was already good in 2011). His vision. How quickly he thinks on the move. His willingness to use his blockers.

Like I said, there's a reason two high quality RB Coaches turned Head Coaches are offering him...even though he played against poor competition and has terrible size measurements.

My biggest concern transitioning to the college scene where everything is bigger, stronger and faster...would be fumbles. He's a small guy. The football is bigger and harder to keep hold of for a smaller guy. He had some fumbles this year from what I can tell though I think he only lost one of them. It's something to keep an eye on. He will need to work on ball security first and foremost in order to earn the coaching staff's trust. Once that happens, he should excel.

Love this post, lots of good stuff in there.

Quick question:  if ball security becomes a premium at this stage, can that translate into a loss of speed or mobility?  If you start working on locking the football up with your arm so that when you get hit or someone tries to knock the ball out you won't lose it, I can see that limiting mobility in a way that might take him some time to adjust to. 

I'm no expert, just a thought I had ... 

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Not convinced he translates well. He'd be a third down back and has questionable hands.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

Kyle Bennett â€@KyleBennett247

#USF not in the mix, as @Bulls247 suspected RT @SKwiatkowski247: RB Robert Davis deciding between Boston College, Cincinnati, and Memphis.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Maybe we are only taking 2 RB's as the quality left on the board wasn't up to what we want

Auggie Sanchez was already taken as a HB so technically we already have two.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Dude was never seriously considered. Wrong type of player.

link?