• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nice showing USF Students

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  341
  • Days Won:  1

I think the problem with the sports community around here is that almost everyone is from somewhere else. The Rays and Bucs (to an extent) are still relatively new organizations. We haven't been playing for 100 plus years with generations of supporters.

Exactly...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

That's crap because had it been FSU rolling in with the same record our students would have packed the joint. I wouldn't mind if 2-3k showed today. But that was no more than a couple hundred.

USF has 35,000 students in undergrad. A good portion Of which are from Tampa. A lot were still in town, just didn't care

• Content Count:  1,570

I think the problem with the sports community around here is that almost everyone is from somewhere else. The Rays and Bucs (to an extent) are still relatively new organizations. We haven't been playing for 100 plus years with generations of supporters.

Exactly...

Maybe with the Rays. Not with the Bucs. in the 80's, when they were awful. They would get 35000 in there stadium. In the mid 90's before they got good. The wasn't selling out but the attendants went up maybe 50000 to 55000. During the years of Dungy and Gurden, they were selling out. The problem is they don't like the owners or the coach for the Bucs. Last year they win, no one didn't show up. The Rays have been winning for a few years, and fans show up only for the Yankees, Boston, and the playoffs. There excuse is that the team plays in another country(St. Petersburg, Russia).

• Content Count:  3,616

I brought my mom and sis to their 1st USF Football game and was very disappointed in the student section they had to be in. I also got one of my older friends and his 2 kids and one of their friends to come to the game. Although I didn't expect a decent amount, it was even worse.....This is only the 2nd of the 4 Thanksgiving weekend games for USF I've been to. I went to the Miami home game 2 years ago when I flew back to Tampa the Friday after from Houston. Thanksgiving Break has usually been the only time I go back to Texas during the fall semester. I also went to the Men's basketball game Wednesday which consisted of 10-15 students........and I will also be there tomorrow night vs FAU. I am a DIEHARD USF fan who is from Houston and since going to school here, I have learn how different the fan bases are. I understand the economy has been a part of the reason, although the Texans have sold out every home game in existence and we've never had a winning season.....The Astros and Rockets can do horribly can still do poorly or just be decent and draw decent/good crowds. The Astros had their worst season this past year and averaged more per home game than the Rays.....Also, I am not knocking on the Rays fans because I have many friends who are TRUE and diehard fans. I will be at the game on Thursday night and the student section will be flowing into the 2nd level and likely the 3rd..I hope....

• Content Count:  1,570

I brought my mom and sis to their 1st USF Football game and was very disappointed in the student section they had to be in. I also got one of my older friends and his 2 kids and one of their friends to come to the game. Although I didn't expect a decent amount, it was even worse.....This is only the 2nd of the 4 Thanksgiving weekend games for USF I've been to. I went to the Miami home game 2 years ago when I flew back to Tampa the Friday after from Houston. Thanksgiving Break has usually been the only time I go back to Texas during the fall semester. I also went to the Men's basketball game Wednesday which consisted of 10-15 students........and I will also be there tomorrow night vs FAU. I am a DIEHARD USF fan who is from Houston and since going to school here, I have learn how different the fan bases are. I understand the economy has been a part of the reason, although the Texans have sold out every home game in existence and we've never had a winning season.....The Astros and Rockets can do horribly can still do poorly or just be decent and draw decent/good crowds. The Astros had their worst season this past year and averaged more per home game than the Rays.....Also, I am not knocking on the Rays fans because I have many friends who are TRUE and diehard fans. I will be at the game on Thursday night and the student section will be flowing into the 2nd level and likely the 3rd..I hope....

Be careful, someone will bring up the economy. We as Tampa bay area sports fans can always bring up excuses. We have a closet full of excuses.

• Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

We all knew the student section would be bad. Poor record, day after Thanksgiving, and the early start time were all factors.

The thing that drove me nuts during this game was when the Louisville fans began to invade the student section. Security wasn't making any effort at checking tickets and it was probably a 60/40, USF/UL split where I was sitting by the end of the game.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There is bad and there is what showed today...

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

It was pathetic, but its not just the students. Most of our other fans weren't there either. We have a very lame fanbase as a whole. Win and you see crowds. Lose and it dwindles every week. Tickets for WVU will be easy to get. I'm guessing $5 gets you in and seated in the lower bowl. Its one of the most disturbing things about being a USF fan. Hard to figure why the rest of our peeps don't give a **** about our team. Very frustrating for sure. We see it with basketball. We even see it with baseball. Soccer gets a huge crowd only because we're in the Sweet 16 and its free. Might be the only thing I can admire about UCF, although they still suck!

Go Bulls, beat Mountaineers!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

I don't think we should single out the student section -- the whole crowd was pretty sparse.

I found myself envying those who skipped the game for whatever reason late in the second half. Two of the people who use my tickets couldn't come because they had to take their baby to the doctor. I couldn't find anyone to replace them and I'm sure I wasn't alone in eating some tickets today.

Anyone who thought we would have a ton of any type of fan at this game is ignoring many factors influencing the turnout. Be mad if you want but perhaps we should spread that blame around a little bit.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

All I am hearing is excuses, I'm sorry you couldn't plan something 6 months in advance, sounds like a lack of paying attention, I see the same crap every basketball game. I'm sorry that buying a bunch of crap on sale is more important than your loyalty. And in college sports the fan base comes first, the championship second, not the other way around. You picked USF to come to do your studies, for better or for worse you should support your school. And the general public gets more leeway, they don't go to USF. But in any case, the % of students filling up the student section (500/12000 = 4%) was much less than the rest of the stadium as a whole. The students are to blame.

Bottom line, there is nothing you can say, if you weren't there for whatever lame reason you are given, you are at fault.

Archived