• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

1010 Not So Happy Hour discussion of Bulls' fan apathy

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

To spice up my 2+ hour commute yesterday I was listening to a rather lengthy discourse on J.P. Peterson's show about fan apathy and lagging attendance.  J.P. took the position that USF has done all it can to provide a great sports product and atmosphere, has produced wins against major programs and has come farther in its short existence than any other college football program in its infancy.  He basically said USF fans are "spoiled" and the only thing lacking for USF's program success is broad-based passionate fan support.  In counter, most of the callers purporting to be USF fans (you never know) claimed they don't go to the games because they have been trained by past performance that USF has yet to compete in its conference and win on a consistent basis.  It was an interesting, albeit depressing, discussion.

As is usually the case, I think there is some truth in both views but a much more complicated mix of factors including the aforementioned issues and Tampa's demographics, strength of support and tradition of other Florida college football programs in this area, the wealth of recreation and entertainment alternatives, the whole upheaval in college football and uncertainty over the future of USF's program and the Big East, the flagging economy and general public antipathy toward just about all institutions these days. 

I knew there would be bumps in the road but I really feel these are potentially treacherous times for USF football.  I think that now, more than ever, the team is playing not only to salvage this season but the outlook for the future.  Just think of how differently we would be viewed in this whole conference realignment mix if we were now undefeated and around the top 10 instead of experiencing an apparent repeat of past falls from grace.  I think we all -- the team, administration, boosters and supporters -- have to turn it up a notch to capture the hearts, minds and wallets of the Tampa Bay area.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

I didn't hear this particular discussion, but I have heard similar discussions several times on sports radio.  It sucks, but there are alot of entertainment options in this town.  It's almost like some people treat USF as a pro team--only go when we're winning.  As an alumni and a die-hard fan, I would go to all the home games even if we had 3 straight seasons of 0-12 and cheer as hard as I could and represent...isn't that what your supposed to do for college football?  Maybe with years of students in the student section graduating to become season ticket holders we won't have to have this discussion anymore.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

im not sure what the expectation is.  To fill a 65k pro stadium?  hate to drag this back to the OCS debate but a 45k OCS would be a lot easier to fill

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

To spice up my 2+ hour commute yesterday I was listening to a rather lengthy discourse on J.P. Peterson's show about fan apathy and lagging attendance.  J.P. took the position that USF has done all it can to provide a great sports product and atmosphere, has produced wins against major programs and has come farther in its short existence than any other college football program in its infancy.  He basically said USF fans are "spoiled" and the only thing lacking for USF's program success is broad-based passionate fan support.  In counter, most of the callers purporting to be USF fans (you never know) claimed they don't go to the games because they have been trained by past performance that USF has yet to compete in its conference and win on a consistent basis.   It was an interesting, albeit depressing, discussion.

As is usually the case, I think there is some truth in both views but a much more complicated mix of factors including the aforementioned issues and Tampa's demographics, strength of support and tradition of other Florida college football programs in this area, the wealth of recreation and entertainment alternatives, the whole upheaval in college football and uncertainty over the future of USF's program and the Big East, the flagging economy and general public antipathy toward just about all institutions these days. 

I think what I made bold is correct.  It's definitely different because the state of FL has had 3 different college football teams win championships before our school ever played a down of football.  A lot of USF fans are converted fans from other FL teams, so that's why we have the "spoiled" culture around here.  

I don't think the economy can really be blamed for USF fans not going to the games.  Season ticket prices are so inexpensive - I know I'd be at every game if I lived in the area - I agree that as far as economically, USF has done a lot to try to make it easier for those watching the dollars to come to games.  

I knew there would be bumps in the road but I really feel these are potentially treacherous times for USF football.  I think that now, more than ever, the team is playing not only to salvage this season but the outlook for the future.  Just think of how differently we would be viewed in this whole conference realignment mix if we were now undefeated and around the top 10 instead of experiencing an apparent repeat of past falls from grace.  I think we all -- the team, administration, boosters and supporters -- have to turn it up a notch to capture the hearts, minds and wallets of the Tampa Bay area.

I am not sure that at this point, a winning record would have much effect on how we are viewed as far as realignment goes, but I'm sure there would be a lot more butts in seats.  

Good post though, I appreciate the thoughts.  

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with JP that the fans need to come out win or lose and support the Bulls... not directing this to anyone on here, this is directed towards the fair weather fans that only show up for the big games or when we are doing well. I disagree that they have done everything... USF is still lacking a pre-game tradition like a pep rally for every game.

I also agree with the fair weather fans and can see their point. When we tank during Big East Conference play, which is against weaker opponents then our annual OOC major win (Auburn, Notre Dame, FSU, Miami, etc.) it sure as hell frustrates me so I can see where new fans are turned off by this annual season slump.

I think that both of these issues will fix themselves once we compete in the Big East on an annual basis... by compete I don't mean a middle of the pack finishes thanks to a handful of 3-7 point sqweekers... I mean 17-25 point ass whippings against other Big East teams on a consistent basis and 3 or 4 Big East titles under our belt. If we can do this then we will get the new fans on board and we will grow.

Fan bases grow during good seasons and grow stagnant during lackluster seasons... right now we are stagnant

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,557
  • Days Won:  423

He basically said USF fans are "spoiled" and the only thing lacking for USF's program success is broad-based passionate fan support.

PJ pretty much nailed it with that ...

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

He basically said USF fans are "spoiled" and the only thing lacking for USF's program success is broad-based passionate fan support.

how are we spoiled and if all it took for a program to be successful is a full stadium then why don't programs like south carolina ever win a thing?

• Content Count:  642
  • Days Won:  0

I'd trade all our big out of conference wins for a Big East Title and the BCS bowl game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,557
  • Days Won:  423

how are we spoiled and if all it took for a program to be successful is a full stadium then why don't programs like south carolina ever win a thing?

You don't consider South Carolina a successful program?

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

So do Rays, so do Bucs, Lightning etc...

Archived